• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Dean Hawkins

Hawko has a solid kicking game and has good game management,thats how he was instrumental in our winning the NSW Cup.Twice?
When Reyno was partnering Cody was getting good ball,that’s Hawkos job currently!
No one in their right mind would expect Hawko to do anything spectacular!
( except Captain Sutto)

Neither Hawkins or Ilias are match winning halves ...... for mine their best is TEAM players.
They both need the team to be playing well and forwards laying a platform.

Those who say , Ilias has only had ONE good game in 2 years .....well sorry the team has had a fair amount of great games with him at half , backend of last year and first two losses of this year were not because of Ilias , the team had issues and read first sentence , Ilias is not a match winning dominant half to pull a team with issues out of the fire. Hawkins is clearly not in the top grade.

However Ilias , has a much stronger defensive game , where as Hawkins is a target and a defensive liability. As for Hawkins kicking game , I have not seen much difference between the two in the TOP grade.

One of our halves , Bobby Grant , made the 1908-2004 dream team , I may have rocks in my brain , however I do not recall him being dominant half . I saw most of the games 1967-1972 , my recollection of Bobby was a great team player , a great defender.

Adam Reynolds first game in the top game , 21 years old , against Roosters , my first positive thought , YES he can defend.

Sam Walker , in attack is streets ahead of Hawkins and Ilias , however he was dropped last year because he was a defensive weakness.

If a half is a defensive weakness , then a GOOD team should not be interested.

Last edited:
Did anyone watch Schneider on debut for Penrith last night. Did everything you'd want from a halfback.
Stepped in for Cleary and was streets ahead of Hawkins or Illias.
Note he wasn’t on NRL debut though. He played for Canberra.

Put him in the current Souths side and you may not be as impressed.

The guy is an out and out half be it 5/8 or halfback, a ****ing blind man can see it but no, for some reason we think he's a fullback.

From what i gather he’s not a half but certainly a runNing 5/8th. The biggest flaw in his game is defending in the front line. At this stage he’s still a boy taking in the men.
By seasons end he’ll be playing first grade with Cody possibly half.

I think they’ll combine well

Neither Hawkins or Ilias are match winning halves ...... for mine their best is TEAM players.
They both need the team to be playing well and forwards laying a platform.

Those who say , Ilias has only had ONE good game in 2 years .....well sorry the team has had a fair amount of great games with him at half , backend of last year and first two losses of this year were not because of Ilias , the team had issues and read first sentence , Ilias is not a match winning dominant half to pull a team with issues out of the fire. Hawkins is clearly not in the top grade.

However Ilias , has a much stronger defensive game , where as Hawkins is a target and a defensive liability. As for Hawkins kicking game , I have not seen much difference between the two in the TOP grade.

One of our halves , Bobby Grant , made the 1908-2004 dream team , I may have rocks in my brain , however I do not recall him being dominant half . I saw most of the games 1967-1972 , my recollection of Bobby was a great team player , a great defender.

Adam Reynolds first game in the top game , 21 years old , against Roosters , my first positive thought , YES he can defend.

Sam Walker , in attack is streets ahead of Hawkins and Ilias , however he was dropped last year because he was a defensive weakness.

If a half is a defensive weakness , then a GOOD team should not be interested.
Stop whingeing we don’t have anyone else,Christ!

Sorry but Illias has to have a poor game (which he did 2/52) to be compared unfavourably to Hawkins. If Illias is the best half we have then let him play firsts until Gray or someone else gives us fresh options. I don't see value in persisting with Hawkins.

I was truly hoping that Hawkins would take this game by the scruff of the neck and show why he should be in the team.

But for a player who’s kicking game is supposedly his strength, he was not good today.

I thought he had some bright spots in his general field play in the second half, and his defence was good today I thought.

But I am not seeing a significantly better proposition than Ilias.

But I hope to be proven wrong again when he pulls on the boots next week. I hope he has a cracking game against the Worriers, cause we are going to need it.

Sorry but Illias has to have a poor game (which he did 2/52) to be compared unfavourably to Hawkins. If Illias is the best half we have then let him play firsts until Gray or someone else gives us fresh options. I don't see value in persisting with Hawkins.
Are you saying lachy only had 2 poor games in his career 😂

Most clubs either buy a stop gap half as back up or bring one through their system and train them as a half.

Sadly we are once again ****ing things up by bringing Gray through as a fullback.

The guy is an out and out half be it 5/8 or halfback, a ****ing blind man can see it but no, for some reason we think he's a fullback.
Yep, it's painfully obvious.

I was truly hoping that Hawkins would take this game by the scruff of the neck and show why he should be in the team.

But for a player who’s kicking game is supposedly his strength, he was not good today.

I thought he had some bright spots in his general field play in the second half, and his defence was good today I thought.

But I am not seeing a significantly better proposition than Ilias.

But I hope to be proven wrong again when he pulls on the boots next week. I hope he has a cracking game against the Worriers, cause we are going to need it.
8 games into his nrl career. Let's ease off Hawkins until he hits 50 like Lachie.

He's been obviously given a game plan from the coach given the role he's playing in training sessions why would you expect more.

Hawkins kicking game is terrible, gave two 7 tackle sets away including one from a nothing kick caught in goal.

By year end we'll be bottom 4, club made an error letting Reynolds go when it should have been Cook.

8 games into his nrl career. Let's ease off Hawkins until he hits 50 like Lachie.
I don’t get this. He isn’t a rookie like Ilias was. He has plenty of experience playing NSW Cup. Today when the forwards were dominating in the game he couldn’t take advantage at all.

Many certainly didn’t ease off Lachie to begin with.

I still want him in next week though. I honestly don’t see a world where Hawkins will be the halfback the rest of the year.

Lachie needs to keep playing cup with Gray for the next couple of weeks. Get his confidence right up.

Latest posts

Back