• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Dean Hawkins

Rabbits21

Grand Master
Reaction score

Not sure he has his own thread but anyway thought I’d make one.

So we all know he’s been in our systems for years now.

Was NSW Cup halfback of the year last year now this year NSW Cup player of the year. He should be very proud that’s a fine achievement.

Now I don’t want to judge him from his 2 first grade games this year as he was playing 5/8. He’s not a 5/8 he was playing out of position he’s a halfback. Now from what I’ve seen his defence is weaker than Lachy that is for sure. But an area Hawko is better in is I believe he has a good kicking game and can lead a side around. Obviously NSW Cup is different to first grade.

It just feels to me like he’s never been given a proper crack since Reyno left. There has been talk Penrith are sniffing him. Personally though I think I’d like to keep him another year with us. But maybe JD doesn’t rate him for whatever reason. I just think it’d be a shame if he goes without him getting a fair crack.

I am interested what you guys think of him. He seems to have had many try assists too in Cup.

Deano a Souths junior should have been given a fair go the word is off to Penrith,a Reyno style halback,his kid brother in Jersey Flegg.
Playing him at 5/8 was dumb!

He was gone the preseason before Lachie debuted but they missed Milford and decided to retain him.

Maybe after Ilias’ second half they’ll do an about face again.

He has been off contract now for a while. No club has been banging the door to sign him to play NRL. Maybe this award may help his cause, but as of right now the only talk has been playing NSW Cup for Penrith or playing over in Super League.

His biggest issue and guess why he hasn’t played more NRL is his defence.

I remember he filled in for two games for Adam at the start of the 2021 season. I thought he went okay, the consensus was the opposite.

Cheers

It's a nice reward for being the most consistent reserve grader in NSW. He obviously had a good head on his shoulders, so good luck to the bloke.

I mean the 2022 winner Kayal Iro (son of Kevin) couldn't even manage an NRL game this year, despite the injuries the Sharks have had in the backs - so it's hardly a new trend.

I am open minded about players who haven’t been allowed time and space to show what they have got.
Thommo e.g. is too slow and useless wow!
Tass is useless!

Last edited:
He has been off contract now for a while. No club has been banging the door to sign him to play NRL. Maybe this award may help his cause, but as of right now the only talk has been playing NSW Cup for Penrith or playing over in Super League.

His biggest issue and guess why he hasn’t played more NRL is his defence.
I guess you argue he won’t have to defend as much if he is not giving away 7 tackle sets or kicking out on the full

Not sure he has his own thread but anyway thought I’d make one.

So we all know he’s been in our systems for years now.

Was NSW Cup halfback of the year last year now this year NSW Cup player of the year. He should be very proud that’s a fine achievement.

Now I don’t want to judge him from his 2 first grade games this year as he was playing 5/8. He’s not a 5/8 he was playing out of position he’s a halfback. Now from what I’ve seen his defence is weaker than Lachy that is for sure. But an area Hawko is better in is I believe he has a good kicking game and can lead a side around. Obviously NSW Cup is different to first grade.

It just feels to me like he’s never been given a proper crack since Reyno left. There has been talk Penrith are sniffing him. Personally though I think I’d like to keep him another year with us. But maybe JD doesn’t rate him for whatever reason. I just think it’d be a shame if he goes without him getting a fair crack.

I am interested what you guys think of him. He seems to have had many try assists too in Cup.
Just said the same thing in the pathways thread before I read this. What I added is that competition for spots is healthy for a club from my experience however it sounds like Ilias is pretty much guaranteed the #7 jumper in NRL which I'm not so sure is a good thing.

I'd like to see Deano stick around but if he goes, then we need an NRL ready replacement with a good kicking game that can really put the pressure on Lachy.

Competition for spots can only benefit the club as a whole.

I guess you argue he won’t have to defend as much if he is not giving away 7 tackle sets or kicking out on the full
Im sure he would still have to defend during the game. He would have to defend after errors. Trying to blame a couple of poor kicks by Ilias for our bad defence is quite a bit of a stretch.

He was terrible in defence against the Dragons and was caught out a few times that game. Same with the Dogs.

Im sure he would still have to defend during the game. He would have to defend after errors. Trying to blame a couple of poor kicks by Ilias for our bad defence is quite a bit of a stretch.

He was terrible in defence against the Dragons and was caught out a few times that game. Same with the Dogs.
I think you missed my point - the benefit you get from Ilias being a top defender is negated pretty quickly if he turns the ball over.
If Hawkins is getting repeat sets and pinning teams in their end then you can probably live with some missed tackles.

You want to know how to be good in defence, do as little of it as possible…..

I think you missed my point - the benefit you get from Ilias being a top defender is negated pretty quickly if he turns the ball over.
If Hawkins is getting repeat sets and pinning teams in their end then you can probably live with some missed tackles.

You want to know how to be good in defence, do as little of it as possible…..
Earlier in the year when everything was going well we were conceding an average of 13 points a game. This was when we were playing our hardest part of the draw as well. It wasn’t an issue then.

You also are making out like Hawkins is Nathan Cleary like when it comes to his kicking game. He will have errors in his kicking game as well.

How often do you think Ilias was the one turning the ball over with poor kicks? I think you’ll find not as often as you think.

During the season there were games we were completing at less than 70%. Putting ourselves under pressure defensively. Even when things were going well.

I’ve seen poor kicks from Hawkins in NSW Cup. Seen him give away 7 tackle sets. I’ve seen him when the game is on the line in the NRL have an overlap on the last and put a terrible kick in as well.

Just remember Billy Brittain won the same award back in 2019 when he played for us.

I’m not against having a genuine option to take over Ilias. Just don’t believe that Hawkins is that guy.

Back