• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Dean Hawkins

The team won and is desperate for some consistency and momentum.

Keep things the same.

Ilias is getting to develop his game in a safe space at NSW Cup level. Regardless whether he’s the answer long term, he’ll be a better player next time he features in firsts if they stay the course a little longer.

Hawkins hasn’t set the world on fire, but he also hasn’t been a liability. If he earned his spot with his performance last season and this offseason, then he deserves a couple more weeks to see if he can bring some of his positive play to firsts. If only so we know of its worth persevering with him as a first reserve half (I don’t think he’s going to be the starter long term). And to clarify, he doesn’t have an elite kicking game (even at NSW Cup level). He has a passable one.

Run the same teams next week and reassess.

I don’t get this. He isn’t a rookie like Ilias was. He has plenty of experience playing NSW Cup. Today when the forwards were dominating in the game he couldn’t take advantage at all.

Many certainly didn’t ease off Lachie to begin with.

I still want him in next week though. I honestly don’t see a world where Hawkins will be the halfback the rest of the year.

Lachie needs to keep playing cup with Gray for the next couple of weeks. Get his confidence right up.
I don’t disagree. Only, when was it the forwards were dominating? I felt like we shifted without earning the right most of the day.

I don’t disagree. Only, when was it the forwards were dominating? I felt like we shifted without earning the right most of the day.
Really? You didn’t watch early in the game? Up 10-0 we were marching down the field. We were inside the 20 in great attacking position. His kicks were poor.

Once we lost momentum there then we struggled.

Early in the second half Cook made a great run. For some reason took a hit up the next play. But again in great field position for an attacking kick only to be a small bomb 10 metres out.

I think we persist with Hawko till the bye I’m not sure he’s the long term solution he probably isn’t. But I don’t think he played bad enough to lose that spot. First half I thought 7 of his 9 kicks were good bar a poor grubber and one he kicked dead. Second half the kicking was worse so that has to be better. But in positives at least in our limited chances in attack he did not drop the ball and he did not kick out on the full. I thought he defended quite well today too.

I think right now Lachy needed that break keep him in Cup to build some confidence and work on his game. I think he will probs be back sometime after the bye and hopefully the stint in cup helps him regain form and he can bring that to first grade. If Lachy can get his confidence up and do the basics better like not kicking out on the full and not dropping the ball in attack and doing more of the general play kicking (JD has to let him) then he will go better. We all know what Lachy brings in defence but it’s those other areas that need work on. It Lachy can get these things right he probs has the higher ceiling than Hawko

I don’t get this. He isn’t a rookie like Ilias was. He has plenty of experience playing NSW Cup. Today when the forwards were dominating in the game he couldn’t take advantage at all.

I still want him in next week though. I honestly don’t see a world where Hawkins will be the halfback the rest of the year.

Lachie needs to keep playing cup with Gray for the next couple of weeks. Get his confidence right up.

He got lots of NSW cup experience but the NRL is a big step up from NSW cup.

He is also coming into a struggling team.

I'm not saying Hawkins is the answer but JD is going to be fair, he should be given a few more games to see if their is any improvement, I haven't been impressed with him though but I was annoyed we kept going to his side of the field in attack and there was nothing on, instead of shifting it to trell and wighton.

Cost us a try or 2

Great to see someone with the same view as me , but I disagree anout next week. I want Lachie out there. He's had two very good games in reggies . That's enough to get his confidence back . I still think Cody has had a massive impact on Lachie's career to date and has been holding him back through Cook, etc showing favour. Illias needs to get back out there and take control if we are going to go on a roll.

Great to see someone with the same view as me , but I disagree anout next week. I want Lachie out there. He's had two very good games in reggies . That's enough to get his confidence back . I still think Cody has had a massive impact on Lachie's career to date and has been holding him back through Cook, etc showing favour. Illias needs to get back out there and take control if we are going to go on a roll.
No. I believe Dean deserves another couple of weeks (leading up to the bye) to stake his claim.

As I’ve said elsewhere I thought his general field play in the 2nd half was reasonable.

But his kicking game needs to improve a lot next week.

Hawkins kicking game is terrible, gave two 7 tackle sets away including one from a nothing kick caught in goal.

By year end we'll be bottom 4, club made an error letting Reynolds go when it should have been Cook.
Geez give the bloke a go!

Yes the execution was a bit off for a couple of his kicks, but he didn’t put any out on the full and he got his kicks away cleanly, not being caught with it on the last either. It is only his 5th game in first grade, a lot faster, a lot less time to think. Hawkins deserves his chance.

Illias had ample opportunity to cement himself as our halfback. More than 50 games in and still making the same mistakes consistently. There’s been no improvement.

For me it’s fairly simple and maybe I am being too simplistic on it, but if your known as having a great kicking game and it’s the major string to your bow as to why people have been clamming for you to be in the side, you simply cannot be making some of the mistakes he made yesterday with the boot. I’ll give him credit though, I thought he defended superbly which was a big concern I had

Some of you are clueless.
Did Hawko knock on when we were attacking did Hawko kick the ball out on the full,did he fail to put up high balls for our players to get under,did he fluff kicks?
He didn’t miss tackles but he did have a kick roll over the dead ball.
In the first half at 10 nil Cookies ball distribution was woeful we should have scored more points.He defended well!
He had a solid game giving Cody good ball.That’s what was needed,Lachie can wait!

He got lots of NSW cup experience but the NRL is a big step up from NSW cup.
The thing is he has tasted first grade previously to know the pace. Gone back and worked on his game.
He is also coming into a struggling team.
Yet they when we weren’t struggling yesterday and it was set up for him he couldn’t deliver on what many said was his strength.
I'm not saying Hawkins is the answer but JD is going to be fair, he should be given a few more games to see if their is any improvement, I haven't been impressed with him though but I was annoyed we kept going to his side of the field in attack and there was nothing on, instead of shifting it to trell and wighton.
Firstly NRL doesn’t need to be fair for a player. It doesn’t matter what we think though. We will sit here and give our opinions.

Yet as I’ve stated I would like to see him given another couple of weeks. This is more because what I’m seeing in Reserve Grade from Lachie. I think his confidence is really starting to build and think putting him back next week will be a disservice to him.

I just really feel that this decision by JD is more about getting Lachie to get his confidence back rather than giving Hawkins the opportunity.
Great to see someone with the same view as me , but I disagree anout next week. I want Lachie out there. He's had two very good games in reggies . That's enough to get his confidence back
There are things in his game I still think he needs to work on. His confidence seems to be building and he is showing signs that he can lead a team around.

My one concern is that he will go back and won’t be allowed to play his natural game. Go back to being that robotic player.

I have intentionally stayed off the site for over a week, lived through the roosters disaster and the picking of the team on Tuesday. I didn't really see anything that suggests we can match it against the top teams but at least they dug in yesterday.

Hawkins while not flash but was better than Illias. His kicking was a 6/10 which was better than the 2/10 we get from Ilias. His kicks were at least varied. He had 17 kicks for 580 metres. The next closest was Cody with 154 and Latrell with 57. Illias kicks this year have been for 484 metres in round one and 174m in round 2.

He could be seen screaming at the players and marshalling them into place.
He was much better this week than last week and we can hope if we can get his kicking up to an 8/10 it will benefit the team. The kicks that were poor at least had some thought behind them.

His defence was not an issue. He was up against a big man, made 23 tackles and missed 3 (same amount as Wighton, tass, Burgess Moale). Illias missed 4 tackles round one and 2 tackles round 2.

He has done enough to keep the 7 spot for another week.

Some people will only see what they want to see. Sometimes I think to myself it would have really helped Lachie if he were a Souths Junior. Maybe then he wouldn’t be so scrutinised.

I have intentionally stayed off the site for over a week, lived through the roosters disaster and the picking of the team on Tuesday. I didn't really see anything that suggests we can match it against the top teams but at least they dug in yesterday.

Hawkins while not flash but was better than Illias. His kicking was a 6/10 which was better than the 2/10 we get from Ilias. His kicks were at least varied. He had 17 kicks for 580 metres. The next closest was Cody with 154 and Latrell with 57. Illias kicks this year have been for 484 metres in round one and 174m in round 2.

He could be seen screaming at the players and marshalling them into place.
He was much better this week than last week and we can hope if we can get his kicking up to an 8/10 it will benefit the team. The kicks that were poor at least had some thought behind them.

His defence was not an issue. He was up against a big man, made 23 tackles and missed 3 (same amount as Wighton, tass, Burgess Moale). Illias missed 4 tackles round one and 2 tackles round 2.

He has done enough to keep the 7 spot for another week.

I don’t think anyone has said he shouldn’t hold his spot. But if you are saying that’s a 6/10 kicking game given it’s meant to be his strong suit, I’ll have whatever you’re smoking. The 2 7 tackle sets he gave away were completely while we had all the momentum and were shocking.

Some people will only see what they want to see. Sometimes I think to myself it would have really helped Lachie if he were a Souths Junior. Maybe then he wouldn’t be so scrutinised.
Not sure if you are referring to my assessment but I didn't even think once about him being a Souths junior.
His stats were better. His kicking was better and this is game two.
What has happened with Lachie and Hawkins is what needs to happen. Lackie had two poor games and was dropped. It's now Hawkins spot to lose. If he starts to have shockers Illas will come back in.

Back