• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Dean Hawkins

Keen to see how he goes this week.

IMO Ilias should have played the Roosters last week. And IF you wanted to try something different, this is the game Hawkins should have been brought in for.

Interested to see if he can produce a little more with his boot this week with the run under his belt.

Mind you, if the team play like they did last week, he’ll likely have a similar limited impact.

Need to give Hawkins 5-6 games in NRL to get accustomed. I’m happy to give him time to get used to the NRL and simultaneously giving Ilias some confidence in Cup. Both will get a lot out of the experiences.

What does annoy me is that JD didn’t give Ilias a chance to do anything against the Roosters and simultaneously threw Dean in the deep end.

It would have been more logical - to me anyway - to throw Hawkins in against Canterbury.

Need to give Hawkins 5-6 games in NRL to get accustomed. I’m happy to give him time to get used to the NRL and simultaneously giving Ilias some confidence in Cup. Both will get a lot out of the experiences.

What does annoy me is that JD didn’t give Ilias a chance to do anything against the Roosters and simultaneously threw Dean in the deep end.

It would have been more logical - to me anyway - to throw Hawkins in against Canterbury.
Hawkins may have a good game against the Dogs ,I hope so , he will need the rest of team play to their best.
However whether he he has 5 or 6 games getting accustomed , he is still an average half with no pace who is an easy target for good NRL teams.

The backup half for the Panthers , first game in the NRL , he helped lead the team in his first game. He did not need 5 or 6 games to get accustomed.

Good players grab their opportunities , average players are just average. Dean is 25 , he will never be a Walker late bloomer ( bye the way Walker was only a late bloomer , because he could not get a start until he came to Souths from the Storm. HIs QLD cup form looked pretty good, which is why Storm signed him as backup half but never used him)

Did anyone watch Schneider on debut for Penrith last night. Did everything you'd want from a halfback.
Stepped in for Cleary and was streets ahead of Hawkins or Illias.

Some of you blokes don’t get it Ilias has not improved,Hawko is the reserve half and a solid performer that’s all we have.Let’s hope he can do the job.
People are adulating Gray and calling Messiah get real!😡

I see some of the self proclaimed experts here want MIA to play at prop.

An amusing idea, but a little unfair on Cody, he's far too small to play prop and would get smashed.

As for our halves, be patient, Jye is on the way.
This kid is special, most people can see how special.

Did anyone watch Schneider on debut for Penrith last night. Did everything you'd want from a halfback.
He was ok. But that was it. If our forwards were dominating like the Panthers forwards did then our halves wouldn’t look as bad.

To be he looked slow in distributing the ball. With all the ball the Panthers had there is no way that game should have been that close.

I don’t get this. Dean is either good enough or he isn’t. With the amount of Reserve Grade games he has had he is not a young rookie coming through.

No use leaving Ilias there if the point is to drop him back to build his confidence up. Playing him last week would have been a similar result and another week of bashing him from a certain group.

This way he is a week into building his confidence.

Dean was always going to get another chance beyond last week. Well you would have hoped so. I guess stranger things have happened.

Dean needs the forwards to be going forward. He also needs Cody to dominate. All he needs to concentrate on is servicing Cody and putting in a decent kicking game whilst defending well. Do those things and I’ll be happy with him. I’m not expecting too much from him.

I don’t get this. Dean is either good enough or he isn’t. With the amount of Reserve Grade games he has had he is not a young rookie coming through.
This is 100% correct. I said last week and I’ll say again, that I hope Hawkins plays out of his skin, and cements the 7 position for the next 5 years.

I just don’t see what other people on here see in Hawkins. Looking forward to be proven wrong.
No use leaving Ilias there if the point is to drop him back to build his confidence up. Playing him last week would have been a similar result and another week of bashing him from a certain group.

This way he is a week into building his confidence.

Dean was always going to get another chance beyond last week. Well you would have hoped so. I guess stranger things have happened.

Dean needs the forwards to be going forward. He also needs Cody to dominate. All he needs to concentrate on is servicing Cody and putting in a decent kicking game whilst defending well. Do those things and I’ll be happy with him. I’m not expecting too much from him.
There’s only 1 spine (in the NRL era) that I remember that could consistently play well off the back foot.
Slater - future immortal
Cronk
Smith - future immortal.

Even Cleary struggles when his team is on the back foot, as we’ve seen in Origin.

Hawkins needs the forwards to lay the platform, and play off the back of that.

And as you say, get out of Cody’s way - who I hope has finally woken up from his Rip van Winkle style sleep and has a blinder today.

He was ok. But that was it. If our forwards were dominating like the Panthers forwards did then our halves wouldn’t look as bad.

To be he looked slow in distributing the ball. With all the ball the Panthers had there is no way that game should have been that close.
All his kicks were on their mark.

Most clubs either buy a stop gap half as back up or bring one through their system and train them as a half.

Sadly we are once again ****ing things up by bringing Gray through as a fullback.

The guy is an out and out half be it 5/8 or halfback, a ****ing blind man can see it but no, for some reason we think he's a fullback.

Last edited:

Iilias had 2 years ! to impress had one stand out game 1

Latest posts

Back