• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Random Stats Thread

The only stat that matters is that finished 9th.

Cheers

I thought this was interesting... lots of focus on our halfback, not so much on our five-eighth, so was looking at some numbers for Cody.

Just two simple metrics - try assists, and errors. I chose these two as they can usually demonstrate how "on" his game is. Passes coming off, setting up tries... or making silly errors.

Rounds 1 to 13 - 18 try assists, 14 errors.
Rounds 14 to 27 - 6 try assists, 19 errors.

Now to go one further step and just show our final 6 matches - i.e. from after Origin III.

Rounds 21 to 27 - 4 try assists, 16 errors!

How do you go from redemption on one of the game's biggest stages - man of the match in State of Origin - to that? What the hell happened to Cody's form?

Even non Souths fans at the time were going “holy, Cody is going to blitz the comp after this Origin performance”. He barely fired a shot if we’re being frank.

Even non Souths fans at the time were going “holy, Cody is going to blitz the comp after this Origin performance”. He barely fired a shot if we’re being frank.
It's freaking bizzare.

And because I know the question will be asked, Ilias' numbers stayed similar through the year, even reducing his errors.

Rounds 1 to 13 - 7 try assists, 18 errors.
Rounds 14 to 27 - 6 try assists, 13 errors.

I guess the reason is that Ilias' shortcomings are spotlighted more when Cody isn't producing.

But Cody's form evaporating would be in my Top 3 reasons for our form slide, alongside our poor defence and Latrell missing.

It's freaking bizzare.

And because I know the question will be asked, Ilias' numbers stayed similar through the year, even reducing his errors.

Rounds 1 to 13 - 7 try assists, 18 errors.
Rounds 14 to 27 - 6 try assists, 13 errors.

I guess the reason is that Ilias' shortcomings are spotlighted more when Cody isn't producing.

But Cody's form evaporating would be in my Top 3 reasons for our form slide, alongside our poor defence and Latrell missing.
The problem now is… the last couple years you could say oh we need a right winger, we need a backrower, we need to defensively be better etc. Where the hell do you start now in light of A - the capitulation of our season and near every player having a worse 2nd half of year than 1st and B - all the events and rumours of the last month. Seriously would not know where to begin and I doubt the club does either.

I thought this was interesting... lots of focus on our halfback, not so much on our five-eighth, so was looking at some numbers for Cody.

Just two simple metrics - try assists, and errors. I chose these two as they can usually demonstrate how "on" his game is. Passes coming off, setting up tries... or making silly errors.

Now to go one further step and just show our final 6 matches - i.e. from after Origin III.

How do you go from redemption on one of the game's biggest stages - man of the match in State of Origin - to that? What the hell happened to Cody's form?
NSW SOO has attacking threats across the park. For us in those last 4 rounds Cody was it. Pretty obvious game plan for the opposition.

NSW SOO has attacking threats across the park. For us in those last 4 rounds Cody was it. Pretty obvious game plan for the opposition.
I don't think "Cody is the centrepiece of Souths' attack" is something clubs only discovered in Round 21 of 2023.

Latrell played in 3 of those 4 rounds anyway.

I don't think "Cody is the centrepiece of Souths' attack" is something clubs only discovered in Round 21 of 2023.

Latrell played in 3 of those 4 rounds anyway.
True, but he did bugger all.

This is not new with Cody. He has gone through it for periods over the last few years. He gets rushed and we have nothing else to offer.

Worth noting:

Rounds 1-13: 13 games (12 with Latrell)
Rounds 14-27: 9 games (4 with Latrell)

No doubt Cody was throwing passes in the back half that usually stick and they weren’t. He was far less effective.

Interesting the talk around Ilias’ TTI’s mid year, he was up around the top in the comp. Dropped to 13th by years end (despite the numbers above showing he supposedly held some kind of form). While Cody remained up in third across the comp.

IMO, Ilias was a liability by years end. His set finishes were momentum sapping from minute 1, especially in those late games.

You combine poor ends of sets, to poor starts of sets, and we don’t have a lot to work with.

Last time we looked like this the coach was gone 2 seasons later. There’s certainly something bigger wrong in the group. You don’t fall off a cliff like this just because.

Last edited:

Cody's decline was a big part of our back end of season failure.

He is the guy we rely on to get us points on the board.

If you shut him down then you're probs going to beat us.

When cody is on his game, Illias doesn't need to be a world beater but if Cody is performing poorly, we basically rudderless in the halves.

We been relying to much on individual talent to win us games, That's what we used to do before the Madge era

Back when when had Sandow type players, on their day they can win you a game and so entertaining to watch but when it's not their day you're stuffed and there was no consistency in performance, so we would fall short of finals footy on a regular basis.

I'm at a loss to what happened to cody as he was getting basic things wrong, passes going to ground and taking the wrong options.

There is a rumour and I don't know how true it is so take it with a grain of salt that Cody and cook had a bit of a falling out due to Cook and Illias being so close and cody not getting the ball when he wanted with communication break downs between the pair.

While we don’t suck in every statistical area (some we’re even middle of the table), interesting to see where we’re doing the worse three games in.

Averages per game across all 17 teams so far:

Completion Rate 17th
Offloads 16th
Attacking Kicks 16th
Penalties Awarded 16th
Kick Metres 15th
Forced Drop Outs 15th
Dummy Half Runs 15th
Goal Kicking Percentage 14th
Run Metres 14th
General Play Passes 13th

Run Metres Conceded 1st
Errors 2nd
Missed Tackles 3rd

Narrows it down. :)

I guess, fixing our completion rate, line speed, and kicking probably gets us the biggest yield?

Nice bump @Pplspoet. So, looking on from this...

Cody Walker, 2024 Rounds 1 to 3 - 3 try assists, 7 errors.

23 errors in his last 9 NRL matches.... that's not good.

Back