• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Random Stats Thread

yobbo84

Grand Master
Reaction score
Lachlan Ilias' winner on Saturday was our first golden point winning field goal in 11 years.

The previous was when Adam Reynolds kicked a field goal to defeat the Dragons 19-18 in 2012.

Since then, in golden point we have:

Lost 22-18 vs the Dragons in 2013 (B Morris try)
Lost 29-28 vs the Titans in 2016 (Taylor field goal, after Reynolds' field goal was overturned for obstructing the chasers)
Lost 15-14 vs the Storm in 2016 (Smith field goal)
Lost 13-12 vs the Sea Eagles in 2019 (Cherry-Evans field goal)
Won 18-14 vs the Tigers in 2021 (T Burgess try)
Lost 15-14 vs the Storm in 2022 (Papenhuyzen field goal)
Lost 21-20 vs the Sharks in 2022 (Hynes field goal)

We finally got it right. When Manly dropped the ball first set of golden point I had visions of the game against the Sharks. Latrell took an early shot and didn’t get himself right and missed.

This time he didn’t take the shot as we had tackles up our sleeve. Finally using Ilias. This was something many of us were saying after the Sharks game. Ilias should have been used.

It’s a strange stat when you think in that time we had Reynolds playing for us. In the Storm game (2016) and Manly (2019) he missed shots from close range. The Manly one was at the end of regulation if my memory serves me well.

Our lead up to the field goal was perfect except for Cook's poor pass to Mitchell. But we had our first attempt early in the count so had another chance. Lachlan really nailed it.

Cheers

Ilias could be our regular goalkicker,he was in State Cup.

Lachlan Ilias' winner on Saturday was our first golden point winning field goal in 11 years.

The previous was when Adam Reynolds kicked a field goal to defeat the Dragons 19-18 in 2012.

Since then, in golden point we have:

Lost 22-18 vs the Dragons in 2013 (B Morris try)
Lost 29-28 vs the Titans in 2016 (Taylor field goal, after Reynolds' field goal was overturned for obstructing the chasers)
Lost 15-14 vs the Storm in 2016 (Smith field goal)
Lost 13-12 vs the Sea Eagles in 2019 (Cherry-Evans field goal)
Won 18-14 vs the Tigers in 2021 (T Burgess try)
Lost 15-14 vs the Storm in 2022 (Papenhuyzen field goal)
Lost 21-20 vs the Sharks in 2022 (Hynes field goal)
This is great, thank you.

A random question in return.

Didn’t we win a finals game in ‘21 with a field goal? Well multiple of them actually.

Assume that game didn’t go to golden point. Think it might’ve been against St Merge.

Souths are averaging the 3rd most linebreaks in the NRL with 5.8 per game (behind the Storm with 6.1 and Sharks with 6.0).

Conversely, we are conceding the second-least number of linebreaks with 2.6 per game (behind the Panthers with 1.8 per game).

In fact, we've made equal or more linebreaks in every game we've played in 2023 (6-2 v Sharks, 2-2 v Panthers, 7-3 v Roosters, 3-3 v Sea Eagles, 4-3 v Storm).

I think this highlights that we're still creating plenty of chances, but failing to convert them to points.

Would more speed help that? Or are peeps too tired to back up?

Would more speed help that? Or are peeps too tired to back up?
There has been times the player hasn’t passed the ball or we have dropped it before the line.

Latrell Mitchell Involvement - 1st Halves vs 2nd Halves (stats from Fox Sports Lab)

Round1st Half Possessions1st Half Runs1st Half Metres2nd Half Possessions2nd Half Runs2nd Half Metres
1​
13​
4​
48m​
15​
5​
53m​
2​
12​
5​
52m​
13​
5​
41m​
3​
7​
5​
31m​
20​
6​
54m​
4​
15​
4​
38m​
21​
9​
102m​
5​
17​
3​
26m​
20​
12​
97m​

In the last two weeks he's touched the ball 32 times in the first half for 7 runs, whilst in the second half he's touched the ball 41 times for 21 runs.

Run the ball in the first half, son!

Does Latrell feel he is that unfit that he needs to conserve his energy for the second half? This is one plausible explanation. I hope I'm wrong...

Does Latrell feel he is that unfit that he needs to conserve his energy for the second half? This is one plausible explanation. I hope I'm wrong...
Latrell has (what I believe to be) an erroneous view of who he is as a player.

We’ve heard him many times talk about his agreement with guys like Tupou, where Tupou takes the carries, and Latrell provides the big moment.

He’ll grow out of that sentiment and mindset as he develops as a leader and realises what he is capable of on a footy field.

He showed the other night that he can have the runs and involvement without breaking.

I think he’s underestimated what his more mature physical prep for the season has opened up input wise.

I’m sure there was a time where he needed to conserve. I think that time has passed, even if he hasn’t realised it yet.

As bad as the first half looked, he finished the game the other night with 21 runs, 171m, 9 tackle breaks, 1 line break assist and 1 try assist.

That’s the new baseline for him hopefully.

MIA was interviewed about the passing of the First Nations activist last night and also his farm animals in the Easter show.
All on TV.

MIA was interviewed about the passing of the First Nations activist last night and also his farm animals in the Easter show.
All on TV.
I hope his mind is in Accor on Friday and not in the cow pen across the road...

Back