• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Alex Johnston

The try he scored last night was trademark AJ. As soon as he caught the ball you just knew he’d score. On the other side of the field Gagai had a very similar opportunity to score …he got the ball with the line in sight and I thought it’d be a try in the corner. This isn’t a criticism of Gagai at all but I think it goes some way to understanding that AJ’s not just a lucky dude on the end of a play.
Timing. He has the best timing in the league when it comes to hitting the ball at pace and running the right line. Rarely gets it wrong.

Yeah I reckon if we get to a position in games where we’re piling on points the ball will go left more often and Cody will have AJ in mind. He needs a few doubles to get the total moving.
that was happening t the end of last nights game

Yeah I reckon if we get to a position in games where we’re piling on points the ball will go left more often and Cody will have AJ in mind. He needs a few doubles to get the total moving.
Cody didn't last week!! Corey Allan waited until AJ came close enough to catch the ball without bombing the try....Cody was the Seagull from Finding Nemo ...mine, mine mine :cool:

He should be. As much as he cops from fans he is consistent.
Depends on what plans Wayne has. I don’t think Cook will be the only player to be tapped.

Depends on what plans Wayne has. I don’t think Cook will be the only player to be tapped.
Regardless of what Wayne and the club may want, Cook, Ilias, AJ - they all have active contracts. If they don’t want to leave, they don’t have to.

No way AJ walks away of his own accord IMO, and they can’t make him leave.

Cook in 50/50 on. Depends how much longer he wants to play on.

Re: AJ, even if they say they won’t play him, I reckon he backs himself to keep the dream of breaking the record at Souths alive.

None of them have any obligation to forfeit their deals.

And we’ve seen this year, even if the club rates you as player 30 on the roster, you’ll play some footy. Squad carnage is too rife these days across the NRL.

There also aren’t obvious guys that will definitely keep someone like AJ out of the side either. Cook’s versatility has seen him be super valuable this season.

That’s all true, but he doesn’t have to pick them in first grade. We have seen how it usually plays out when a player isn’t wanted.

That’s all true, but he doesn’t have to pick them in first grade. We have seen how it usually plays out when a player isn’t wanted.
Yeah, but I think that’s the kicker in this case.

Looking our our squad, I really don’t see Wayne benching Cook and Johnston for a season. Ilias, sure. So the threat (of there is one) is fairly weak.

What usually happens in those situations is the club wanting to get the player to move finds a club thats prepared to offer the player a longer contract and dangle that carrot as an inducement to walk.
The value split could mean some of the players salary is subsidised by the current club.

I can't think of a reason why AJ won't be in 1st grade. He is the best winger at the club. He is incredibly consistent and reliable. Has great hands, his defence is more than adequate. Reads the game well, his one deficiency is hard yards from the back but he makes up for that with all his other assets. It amazes me that so many people don't rate him. To me they must have tunnel vision and only see his one significant flaw, hard yards.

Last edited:
I can't think of a reason why AJ won't be in 1st grade. He is the best winger at the club. He is incredibly consistent and reliable. Has great hands, his defence is more than adequate. Reads the game well, his one deficiency is hard yards from the back but he makes up for that with all his other assets. It amazes me that so many people don't rate him. To me they must have tunnel vision and only see his one significant flaw, hard yards.
He might not do 'hard-yards' but he definitely does 'smart-yards'.

Agree. Its not as if he is at the stage where we are carrying him either - he can still add value.
Of course he can!
I don’t buy all this bullshit talk.
There are wingers of all shapes and sizes from fast string beans like Saab through to bullocking nuggets like To’o.

None have 191 tries…they wish!!!

It’s how you are utilised by your coach and teammates.

If JD had half a brain in recent years and used our highly successful left side to full effect then the record would nearly or already be with Alex.

Let’s applaud the guy - this is a once in a lifetime event - as he chases down the people’s Immortal Ken Irvine - but that’s another story!

Latest posts

Back