• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

News, General Articles and Discussion

He was negligent, made a mistake and someone got hurt. Living with that alone would be a punishment in itself (add on the media scrutiny and randoms throwing their take at him). Then add on top whatever the legal punishment is.

I get your point but….this wasn’t looking left instead of right. It wasn’t a mistake or an accident. It was a deliberate thought process that saw him drive under the influence and unlicensed. He clearly has an issue with drugs and decided to do what he did with no concern for the consequences.

I get your point but….this wasn’t looking left instead of right. It wasn’t a mistake or an accident. It was a deliberate thought process that saw him drive under the influence and unlicensed. He clearly has an issue with drugs and decided to do what he did with no concern for the consequences.
Well, he wouldn't be booking into rehab unless he had an issue.... or as suggested earlier it is part of his defence?
If he does have an ongoing issue with drugs (if that is what the rehab is for), then why is it not picked up during the season?
Can a player cleverly avoid detection?

It does not alter the fact that federal and state governments set the legislation with research from rhe appropriate LRC BUT, ultimately, the government of the day legislates...not the LRC.
I brought up the ABC as it too is supposed to be independent and unbiased. You are at least correct in your assertion that i do not believe it to be unbiased, I mist certainly do not believe them to be that.

But on this point, we are now discussing a more subjective area of opinion and I am guessing you will not agree with me no matter what arguments I put forward.
So I will just accept that you have a different opinion to me without insulting you as you have done to me
You’re making out that the government of the day wave their magic wand & go all over the place effecting laws pertaining to law & order, I’d suggest they leave that up to the legal experts, like I stated “The Australian Law Reform Commission is an independent Australian Government agency that provides recommendations for law reform to Government on issues referred to it by the Attorney-General of Australia“
So they provide recommendations, it of course then pass through parliament, it can also be blocked by the opposition
So it’s not the government just changing laws unfettered

It tends to be only one side of the socio political divide that bemoans the ABC & constantly tries to tear them down as being biased, I remember when Bob Hawke refused to talk to the ABC, as he thought they were biased towards him
Sometimes you conservatives go so far right you lose track of the centre & anything left of your stance becomes abhorrent, it’s just a constant drone now from knuckle dragging troglodytes re the ABC, half of you don’t even understand the reach of the network & the importance of keeping people informed in country & remote areas, especially during natural disasters

then why is it not picked up during the season?

2 things

1. I believe the RLPA has rules in place in regards to testing around “social drugs” and at a minimum, privately, rally against testing

2. Clubs have historically turned a blind eye as they wan5 the talent. A past Australian captain and super coach a prime example

The legal side of things will take its due course.

But i think the NRL need to come down hard on him with a punishment as well. If they can suspend Latrell for 1 game for a photo of a white powder then surely driving under the influence of drugs, without a licence and crashing into someone (that could have had terrible consequences) deserves a stronger punishment than a game or 2 suspension.
I have no idea how the NRL approach it.

Is this worse than a DV charge or a punchup in public?

If he doesn’t get in the accident, is the punishment different? And at that point, are you punishing based on the act or the outcome?

Glad I’m not the one that has to sit down and assign moral values to every indiscretion.

2 things

1. I believe the RLPA has rules in place in regards to testing around “social drugs” and at a minimum, privately, rally against testing

2. Clubs have historically turned a blind eye as they wan5 the talent. A past Australian captain and super coach a prime example
I believe as part of the new CBA players can only be tested on the 24hours that is game day. Think I read that somewhere a few months back.

I believe as part of the new CBA players can only be tested on the 24hours that is game day. Think I read that somewhere a few months back.
I think it’s 48 hours before the game, but you’re right that there’s a policy in place that testing happens within a game day window.

It’s why the Cronulla player was so stupid (apart from the driving over the limit bit). There is an unspoken agreement with the RLPA that players can imbibe in recreational drugs (read cocaine) for 2 days after the game, as it will be out of their system before testing cycle starts again.

But if they get caught by RDT then the gloves come off.

I also believe that the testing regime in the off season is different as well (not sure what it is).

Well, he wouldn't be booking into rehab unless he had an issue.... or as suggested earlier it is part of his defence?
If he does have an ongoing issue with drugs (if that is what the rehab is for), then why is it not picked up during the season?
My cousin tried to get into rehab many years ago and they told him he wasn't eligible because he hadn't been taking enough drugs over a long period of time ...True story.

I think it’s 48 hours before the game, but you’re right that there’s a policy in place that testing happens within a game day window.

It’s tantamount to openly condoning illegal drug use.
At a minimum it’s saying that a professional athlete can compete at an elite level while being a drug user.

No wonder these mugs do so😰

I have no idea how the NRL approach it.

Is this worse than a DV charge or a punchup in public?

If he doesn’t get in the accident, is the punishment different? And at that point, are you punishing based on the act or the outcome?

Glad I’m not the one that has to sit down and assign moral values to every indiscretion.
I think its worse than a punchup in public as the accident has an impact on innocent civilians.

I think you can punish on the act and the outcome, the same way you do if a swinging arm tackle breaks someones jaw on the field. If the act causes injury then that has to be a factor as well.

I think the NRL will in part be guided by what the police/court system decide to do as well.

I feel like people turn into Romans at the colosseum any time something like this happens, baying for blood.

The guy made a mistake. Getting life in prison and his contract torn up doesn’t fix the child’s hip or erase the incident.
Getting behind the wheel while under the influence of drugs isn’t a mistake

He didn’t fall asleep after a 12 hour day laying bricks or working a night shift packing boxes.

Everyone knows the risks associated with driving under the influence. Try telling the family of those kids killed by the Junky at Lake Conjola a couple of Christmas’s ago it was a mistake

He was negligent, made a mistake and someone got hurt. Living with that alone would be a punishment in itself (add on the media scrutiny and randoms throwing their take at him). Then add on top whatever the legal punishment is.
Mate after doing an apprenticeship and flipping houses, I decided to join FRNSW where I’ve been a rescue operator and now rescue station officer for over 15 years

Let me tell you. 95% of the time these c$&ts don’t care who they hurt as long as they walk away. I’ve cut countless victims of these mutts out of cars and seen first hand the devastation it has on the families of the victims

You get into a car under the influence it isn’t an accident. It’s Russian roulette with the gun pointed at someone else
This isn’t a premeditated crime with intent to hurt or malice.

I don’t think sending the bloke for time behind bars as some suggest is the appropriate course of action to have a positive effect on society.

Some sort of suspended sentence and fine seems appropriate.
Which is why it keeps happening.

At a minimum it’s saying that a professional athlete can compete at an elite level while being a drug user.

This is why I raised the question recently about testing and education and medical guidance.
While a player may be able to duck and weave and still be in an elite sport, it does not mean that they can compete at their best regularly...again, not mentioning any players in particular...as i mentioned earlier, I just have my suspicions but oftentimes many other factors could be involved...is why i said, players need to be aware of the warning signs...even, threaten to dob in a mate to help a mate who may not be thinking so clearly...tough situation all round .

No, it's tantamount to accepting that this is a societal issue and expecting football players to be somehow different to the rest of their cohort would lead to constant headlines of players failing drug tests.

The AFL had a spate of drug test breaches that was creating a whole lot of negative publicity for the game, and they came up with this approach in concert with the AFL version of the RLPA.

The ARLC then copied it (from what I've heard).

And WADA also turn a blind eye to it.

Back