• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Manly Pride Debacle

Yeah can you imagine asking a black man to wear a ku klux clan hood. Or a Jewish person to wear a swastika?
Ah the only way that would be in any way comparable is if you asked the persecuted gay person to wear a religious symbol.

Ah the only way that would be in any way comparable is if you asked the persecuted gay person to wear a religious symbol.
Another great example.

A very big ask of the individual that feels strongly the other way.

Would I like everyone to accept me a Lebanese man as Australian? Yes I would.

Do I expect it to happen? No I don't.
Do I let it upset me? No I don't.

Your situation is not comparable either

The original rainbow "pride" flag was chosen as a symbol for the gay rights movement - prior symbols used included the "pink triangle" used to identify homosexuals in Nazi concentration camps.

It also took inspiration from the hippie movement (think tie-die) and the "flag of the races" which had 5 colours as part of the world peace movement.

It was intended as a symbol for one movement but has been adopted by a number of others, although there are now several variations with each claiming to represent more and more groups, particularly around people of colour who identify with those groups.

Manly have not used the traditional "pride" rainbow, instead using most of the colours in a different arrangement. I assume this was to not just represent LGBTIQA+ but rather represent "people as a spectrum" without clear divisions.

In fact, their name for it, the "Everyone in League" jersey, has no reference to "pride" or LGBTIQA+ issues and the jersey is supporting Gotcha4Life who are a charity with the vision of 0 suicides in Australia.

Rainbows have long been seen as a symbol of hope (the sun after the storm), peace and unity (all the colours side by side). The Christian churches have their own connections to the rainbow as the sign of the covenant between God and mankind.

What's also interesting is that many Pasifika cultures have at least some element fluid/non-binary gender norms compared to Western culture, with the idea of "third gender", "faʻafafine" (and similar) and other non-binary genders in their traditional cultures.

From their own product page:

Not one mention of LGBTIQA+ or any other gender or sexuality based issue. The players have baulked at the mere sight of something that could represent beliefs which don't align with their own.

It's really unfortunate that:
  1. Women in League round's launch has now turned into a fight between religion and inclusion, rather than focusing on its original aims
  2. Anyone who is LGBTIQA+ within the NRL sphere now most likely feels marginalised, ostracised and not welcome in that sphere
  3. No team will see a benefit to show the same support to the cause due to this backlash and NRL will become a vacuum for progressive causes once more.
  4. The actual Women in League who identify as LGBTIQA+ will now feel even more like outsiders
It's also quite sad that the players feel they aren't represented as "everyone in league" but that, ultimately, is a block they have decided to put up rather than any fault of Manly or Dynasty. It is really a shame that those 7 don't want to be a part of it.
Well said!

@broncobuster thanks for the information and read. I think you've made great points.

There's something to be said about how me and many others immediately associate the rainbow with hot cultural issues. Unfortunately I think that'll be the case for some time going forward. I'm sure Manly had the best intentions at heart
You don't watch Sky News by any chance, do you?

Your situation is not comparable either
Why isn't it? Are you saying there were no hate crimes due to racism? Are you saying there was not hurt? Are y saying other cultures were not accepted? Are you saying that there has not been work to change the perception of racism in the country?

It is very comparable.

Just because you’ve given up doesn’t mean the rest of us have to.

As soon as people accept people for who they are, not who they sleep with, where they/their parents/grandparents were born, the colour of their skin, or what religion they do or do not subscribe to - the world will be in a much better place.

These rounds are meant to promote inclusion, not division like a number of the antediluvian knuckle drafters on here keep banging on about.

Having an indigineous round provides invaluable education on a race that is the oldest continuous civilisation in the world.

Multi-cultural round provides invaluable education on the multitude of nationalities that make up this great country and who play league.

W I L round provides invaluable education that women’s role in sport is not limited to being the tuck shop lady or the jumper washer, but that there is a thriving and highly skilled women’s competition + a number of high level women officials.

It is through education that we break down the barriers of division, homophobia, xenophobia and racism. It is a proven method.

These 7 players need to be educated that wearing a jumper, with a rainbow on it, is not contrary to their religious beliefs, but is 100% in alignment with the teachings of Jesus (or the people who wrote what Jesus said. I happen to believe that Jesus lived and died, and there are a number of historical artefacts that back this up).

And funnily enough the NRL will emerge stronger from this, not weaker.

Just because you’ve given up doesn’t mean the rest of us have to.

As soon as people accept people for who they are, not who they sleep with, where they/their parents/grandparents were born, the colour of their skin, or what religion they do or do not subscribe to - the world will be in a much better place.

These rounds are meant to promote inclusion, not division like a number of the antediluvian knuckle drafters on here keep banging on about.

Having an indigineous round provides invaluable education on a race that is the oldest continuous civilisation in the world.

Multi-cultural round provides invaluable education on the multitude of nationalities that make up this great country and who play league.

W I L round provides invaluable education that women’s role in sport is not limited to being the tuck shop lady or the jumper washer, but that there is a thriving and highly skilled women’s competition + a number of high level women officials.

It is through education that we break down the barriers of division, homophobia, xenophobia and racism. It is a proven method.

These 7 players need to be educated that wearing a jumper, with a rainbow on it, is not contrary to their religious beliefs, but is 100% in alignment with the teachings of Jesus (or the people who wrote what Jesus said. I happen to believe that Jesus lived and died, and there are a number of historical artefacts that back this up).

And funnily enough the NRL will emerge stronger from this, not weaker.
It's foolish to think humans are capable of all agreeing 100% on anything. Accepting that iso not giving up. Live your lives, be happy knowing most of society accept you. Expecting anything else and hoping for 100% is foolish. Have a pride round. But don't expect a number if players to play and be okay with that. Don't crucify them for it.

I said earlier I believe that Jesus would accept everyone and that's how I live. But. Can't worry about new that see things differently.

Good old religion shitting on peoples entitlement to exist.

I support the pride round. It should be separate to women round though.

Gay people are still murdered internationally and still deal with a shit pile of hate domestically because they simply exist. The comments on social media are vile and I'm shocked to see the homophobes on this forum.

Religion is a cancer. Jesus wasn't real. You all pray to your own internal monologue. Grow up.
I wonder how many Christians believe that Scientology is a valid religion. I mean, it came about the same way as their religion, some influential person wrote a book and convinced simpletons around him that it was all true. Of course with Christianity, a few more picked up on the theme and added to it, but now in the modern era we can see that these stories were all made up.

I wonder how many Christians believe that Scientology is a valid religion. I mean, it came about the same way as their religion, some influential person wrote a book and convinced simpletons around him that it was all true. Of course with Christianity, a few more picked up on the theme and added to it, but now in the modern era we can see that these stories were all made up.
Well I can answer for me. I don't believe in scencetokigy but I don't hate the people that do.

I've got nothing against the idea , but why do they have to wear a jersey. Wouldn't a banner as they ran out be just as good at getting the message across ? Those who chose not to run through it could have ran around it. It would still be getting them the TV exposure they're no doubt seeking.

As you move around the country on a daily basis do you feel “not accepted “

Back