• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Manly Pride Debacle

The way I see it, we don't ever need to bring out a 'Pride jersey' with rainbow colours.

The Red and Green of South Sydney is for everyone and is inclusive of everyone regardless of their sexuality, where they are from etc.

Those colours are inclusive and are something we should all be proud of.
Whilst I agree, I note that you have a pink and green jersey as your avatar...

Reactions: CCR
What people do behind closed doors is their business, while we are all equal i dont think we need to promote LGBTIQ to our young people as being perfectly normal, ie "if it feels good and you enjoy its ok", our young people are vulnerable and can be confused as to who they are, sport is sport and the other issues dont really need to be promoted by the NRL, for sure promote acceptance .

The way I see it, we don't ever need to bring out a 'Pride jersey' with rainbow colours.

The Red and Green of South Sydney is for everyone and is inclusive of everyone regardless of their sexuality, where they are from etc.

Those colours are inclusive and are something we should all be proud of.
Yes, but you clearly support the womens round judging by your avatar. What about the indigenous jersey, ANZAC jersey, and many others. I can't see why a "pride" jersey should be any different? Yes, we are an inclusive club, but we also go out of our way to show extra inclusiveness with our various jerseys.

What people do behind closed doors is their business, while we are all equal i dont think we need to promote LGBTIQ to our young people as being perfectly normal, ie "if it feels good and you enjoy its ok", our young people are vulnerable and can be confused as to who they are, sport is sport and the other issues dont really need to be promoted by the NRL, for sure promote acceptance .
This isn't about "go gay, it's really fun", it's "if you're gay and struggling to accept it, please know you're welcome here".

If we can't promote acceptance but can promote fast food, alcohol and sports betting agencies, there is something fundamentally flawed with our ethics and morals.

This isn't about "go gay, it's really fun", it's "if you're gay and struggling to accept it, please know you're welcome here".

If we can't promote acceptance but can promote fast food, alcohol and sports betting agencies, there is something fundamentally flawed with our ethics and morals.

I doubt, very much, that that was the intent but neither of us will ever know

Just seen the team they've named...

All the blokes who are boycotting this week, should get together and pray for Turbo to make a miraculous recovery.

Only thing that can save their season after they get flogged on the weekend

There are sections of the LGBTIQ community who bully anybody who dares to disagree who labels like Homophobic or Transphobic ect, like if you dont green light everything they do you must somehow be sick, and i did say some not all...

@broncobuster thanks for the information and read. I think you've made great points.

There's something to be said about how me and many others immediately associate the rainbow with hot cultural issues. Unfortunately I think that'll be the case for some time going forward. I'm sure Manly had the best intentions at heart
Thanks for the opening post raider.

I am glad that you made the vital distinction between promotion, on the one hand, and intolerance on the other. The media, and those who do not understand religion, will annihilate this distinction to the detriment of the cause of inclusivity that they profess.

You do not hate someone just because they have a lifestyle or make choices that you don't like or approve of. You may be more than happy to "live and let live" and keep your thoughts to yourself. But...wearing something you find inappropriate, or being asked in anyway to promote, even indirectly, a behaviour you do not approve of, is crossing a line for many people. Those people who choose not to take part in this promotion (and keep their thoughts to themselves) are not intolerant or behaving hypocritically. They are entitled to their views, which in this case have been kept to themselves, and have not sought to stop the club from marketing a jumper to another group - they have offered to wear the traditional jumper ALONGSIDE the players wearing the rainbow jumper.

This was very poorly handled by Manly and shows what happens when marketing people are given free reign and no proper oversight. I'll give Manly the benefit of the doubt about their intentions - it could be that all they wanted to do was make LGBTQ people feel welcome in the game. A more cynical view might be that they thought they could capture the LGBTQ market for their jumper and didn't even consider the blowback that may come their way.

Manly have acknowledged that they have stuffed up here. That’s an understatement if I’ve ever seen one.

Australia is a free country.

People have the right to express their sexuality.

People have the right to express their religious beliefs.

You don't have to like it but it's the rights his country has earnt.

Back