• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Manly Pride Debacle

The issue is about anti-bullying really. But the NRL has caved in after the backlash that followed Manly admin's mishandling of the whole thing. Now the NRL is in the closet.

No disrespect meant but i am not interested enough in the topic to read all that.
Well I do take a slight bit of disrespect since I took the time to write a considered response to your points - you might find a deeper understanding by reading some of the quotes and quoted articles to find the answers to the questions that you yourself asked.

Not on just "that" topic, but to the NRL's points about the very things that it itself holds to be important and, therefore, why their backflip on the LGBTIQA+ stance is actually quite damning to the body itself.
Live and let live, respect everyone until they show they don't deserve it.
Unfortunately, it's not that simple when it comes to LGBTIQA+ issues.

Many people are unable to "let [LGBTIQA+ people] live" and continue to allow the circumstances and discrimination that lead to above average suicide and mortality rates in the LGBTIQA+ community.

If you truly want to "live and let live", then you also need to take the time to understand what more you, as an individual, and all of us can do to help break down those things that lead to groups of people either having to live false lives or who cannot fathom living as they are.

According to the NRL's own LGBTI Fact Sheet:
  • Up to 11/100 Australians may have a diverse sexual orientation, sex, or gender identity
  • Gay, Lesbian, Bi and Transgender people are 3x more likely to experience depression
  • 6/10 experience verbal homophobic abuse
  • 2/10 experience physical homophobic abuse
  • 1/10 experience other homophobic abuse
  • Transgender men and women experience significantly higher rates of non-physical and physical abuse, compared with gay men and women
Homosexuality, or as Iraq now calls anything not heteronormative, "sexual deviance", is illegal in many nations around the world - according to the ILGA World Database:
  • 62 UN nations criminalise same-sex sexual acts by law
    • 32 of the 62 nations are also members of the Commonwealth
  • 2 UN nations de facto criminalise same-sex sexual acts
According to several sources (compiled by Wikipedia here), the following 12 nations STILL have the death penalty (at least as an option) for same-sex sexual acts:
  1. Afghanistan
  2. Brunei
  3. Iran
  4. Mauritania
  5. Nigeria
  6. Pakistan
  7. Qatar
  8. Saudi Arabia
  9. Somalia
  10. Uganda (the only country to have this penalty not due to Islamic teachings)
  11. United Arab Emirates
  12. Yemen
This list does not include several other regions where extrajudicial killings of LGBTIQA+ people, as well as forced disappearances or internment in concentration camps, are tolerated or accepted.

The anti-LGBTIQA+ movement in Australia has become more active, emboldened and violent in recent times - this year included - and I think the NRL fear that mob mentality invading any sort of Pride or diversity round at grounds around the country.

Well I do take a slight bit of disrespect since I took the time to write a considered response to your points - you might find a deeper understanding by reading some of the quotes and quoted articles to find the answers to the questions that you yourself asked.

Well that's a shame because it wasn't my intention to show any disrespect.

Please don't talk down to me regarding a "deeper understanding", you have no idea what my understanding or involvement is within the area, inclusive of some family members.
Not on just "that" topic, but to the NRL's points about the very things that it itself holds to be important and, therefore, why their backflip on the LGBTIQA+ stance is actually quite damning to the body itself.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple when it comes to LGBTIQA+ issues.

Many people are unable to "let [LGBTIQA+ people] live" and continue to allow the circumstances and discrimination that lead to above average suicide and mortality rates in the LGBTIQA+ community.

If you truly want to "live and let live", then you also need to take the time to understand what more you, as an individual, and all of us can do to help break down those things that lead to groups of people either having to live false lives or who cannot fathom living as they are.

What more I can do? When I get through doing what I can do to help disadvantaged indigenous people, the homeless, the old aged, DV victims, rape victims, struggling Veterans, youth suicide etc etc, then I am not going to look into people who want to pretend to be men when they are women and vice versa.

According to the NRL's own LGBTI Fact Sheet:
  • Up to 11/100 Australians may have a diverse sexual orientation, sex, or gender identity
  • Gay, Lesbian, Bi and Transgender people are 3x more likely to experience depression
  • 6/10 experience verbal homophobic abuse
  • 2/10 experience physical homophobic abuse
  • 1/10 experience other homophobic abuse
  • Transgender men and women experience significantly higher rates of non-physical and physical abuse, compared with gay men and women
Homosexuality, or as Iraq now calls anything not heteronormative, "sexual deviance", is illegal in many nations around the world - according to the ILGA World Database:
  • 62 UN nations criminalise same-sex sexual acts by law
    • 32 of the 62 nations are also members of the Commonwealth
  • 2 UN nations de facto criminalise same-sex sexual acts
According to several sources (compiled by Wikipedia here), the following 12 nations STILL have the death penalty (at least as an option) for same-sex sexual acts:
  1. Afghanistan
  2. Brunei
  3. Iran
  4. Mauritania
  5. Nigeria
  6. Pakistan
  7. Qatar
  8. Saudi Arabia
  9. Somalia
  10. Uganda (the only country to have this penalty not due to Islamic teachings)
  11. United Arab Emirates
  12. Yemen

Tragic and sad, but nothing to do with the actual topic.

This list does not include several other regions where extrajudicial killings of LGBTIQA+ people, as well as forced disappearances or internment in concentration camps, are tolerated or accepted.

People are killed every day all over the world for political and religious reasons, in far greater numbers than any you'll see from the Trans Fad who are an absolute minute percentage. For such a tiny percentage I don't see why a sporting body should have a special day for them.

Anyway, I only asked had anyone heard about it this year after all the fuss last year, as I said I don't care enough about this topic to argue it or read endless links and copy and pastes from articles I would probably largely disagree with if I read them.

In fact I don't read any replies on any topic that contains excessive info from articles people select because they feel it backs up their agenda or opinion, I'd rather read peoples actual opinions, from the heart, not YouTube.

Anyway, can we let it go? I have no inclination to argue with you and no real interest in the topic.

The topic is anti-bullying - not pro LGBTQAI+!!!!!

If a person is not anti-bullying, then it logically means they are either pro-bullying or complicit enablers of bullying, each of which I personally find disgusting.

There's a short opinion-based post that should fit a short attention span.

And "People are killed every day all over the world ..." equals "don't care"! This coming from someone that in the next breath boasts about their humanitarian work is completely contradictory.

Horrible!!!

cant agree with this at all. No doubt some BUT…… many😱

If a person is not anti-bullying, then it logically means they are either pro-bullying or complicit enablers of bullying, each of which I personally find disgusting.

kind of like when an indigenous man opens up about the vile abuse and bullying he‘s subjected to and he is dismissed as using those same vile acts for political gain 💡

Latest posts

Back