• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Latrell Mitchell

No way on gods earth, aside from injury, that Dodd doesn’t start in the halves

I think Cody is the odd Man out here. His form has been terrible, he’s got next year left on his contract and his age is a question mark. Would not be surprised to see Wayne move him on at the end of the year.

He could have a fantastic two or three year stint in Superleague. Earn more money than Souths would pay him.

If you remove Cody from the equation then you have Mitchell and Wighton duking it out for the 6 jumper and loser plays centre.

Would free up some decent money for next year as well.

Thanks scoop

I was responding to poet who suggested a slight chance he may not start at half but given I’m living rent free in your little mind I totally get why you’d respond in the feeble, weak way you did 👐

I think Cody is the odd Man out here. His form has been terrible, he’s got next year left on his contract and his age is a question mark. Would not be surprised to see Wayne move him on at the end of the year.

He could have a fantastic two or three year stint in Superleague. Earn more money than Souths would pay him.

If you remove Cody from the equation then you have Mitchell and Wighton duking it out for the 6 jumper and loser plays centre.

Would free up some decent money for next year as well.
I reckon Dodd is more likely to make way than Cody is. Not saying that happens, just it’s more likely.

People prematurely calling his demise are way off IMO.

No way on gods earth, aside from injury, that Dodd doesn’t start in the halves
Why would that be so far fetched?

He’s a 22 year old half with no NRL or rep experience, who’s still seemingly coming off a very serious achilles injury (some players literally never regain form).

I get that they bought him to play 7 and in a perfect world he plays at a good level and owns that jersey.

But if a better option presents itself between now and then, or he gets into preseason and they decide they like something better, I’m sure Wayne will go with the lineup that is most likely to win.

There’s still the question mark about being a left side player to figure out, etc.

A lot will come down to the end of this season. If Wighton, Mitchell and Walker all play in the spine and win a handful of games on the trot, I’d assume all bets are off and it’s open season on spine positions for 2025. Dodd may win his 7 jersey, but I’m just saying we could get to a point where he does actually need to win it. As opposed to walking into it.

There’s still the question mark about being a left side player to figure out, etc.
This is the part that interests me most.

You’d assume being the 7 he’d be doing say 80% of the kicking and I can’t think of many who have pulled that off from the right side of the field in recent times except for Aidan Sezer in his Raider days.

He’s going to have to be real smart with how he sets himself up. It’s a shame neither Cook or Mamo appear to have any sort of kicking game as it basically means we’re a team of left footers! (Proud left footer here too).

This is the part that interests me most.

You’d assume being the 7 he’d be doing say 80% of the kicking and I can’t think of many who have pulled that off from the right side of the field in recent times except for Aidan Sezer in his Raider days.

He’s going to have to be real smart with how he sets himself up. It’s a shame neither Cook or Mamo appear to have any sort of kicking game as it basically means we’re a team of left footers! (Proud left footer here too).

Just hoping he has a decent kicking game, especially a long kicking game.

Something our team has lacked for years since Reynolds left.

Every journo I’ve seen suggests Dodd is being paid circa 600k a year. Hard to see him not being the 7 unless he is an absolute flop.

Guess who’s on more than 600k - Wighton, Walker and Mitchell.

Again, I’m just saying, if there’s a desire for those 3 guys to own the result based on what we see in the back half of this season, I don’t think Wayne will let the salary cap select his side.

I'd imagine 2025 will be Walker/Dodd and then 2026 will be Mitchell/Dodd.
… assuming Dodd makes a fist of being an NRL 7.

Agree that does seem like the clubs plan. Either that or Wighton goes to 6. He is on an escalating salary amount the longer he’s with us.

As it stands, you’ve got 3 players going into two positions. Mitchell and Wighton can play both of those positions. Walker can’t. Walker will also be on the final year of his deal and his form has been terrible. Aside from that, he’d be one of our top four or five earners.

These are the exact criteria Wayne has used in the past to tap guys on the shoulder.

Assuming Cody’s on something like $800k, that money is better spent elsewhere when you’ve got Mitchell and Wighton sitting there behind him.

Risk is, Walker comes back to form next year and you’ve lost one, maybe two years of him close to his best. He hasn’t played that well in over 12 months now and he has a recurring calf injury hanging around as well. I think it’s a low risk play.

I mean, if I said to you we could get rid of Cook and Walker and replace them next year with Crichton and Marshall-King, you’d have to be all for it

Latest posts

Back