• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Latrell Mitchell

RabbitJ

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Height:193 cm
Date of Birth:
16-Jun-97​
Weight:102 kg
Birthplace:Taree, NSW
Nickname:Trell

This thread is for all general discussion relating to Latrell Mitchell.

If he can drop a few kgs and add a few more runs to his game he is going to be unstoppable.

All signs point to that currently.

He was healthy for the World Cup, it’s a short break, and I’m guessing the team are pretty focussed after last years exit.

I know some will say they should have been that way following the GF loss, but it was a very different team last season and I think it took them 6 months to develop the belief in what they had as a team.

It should be all guns blazing flowing into this season.

Bar Tass and Thompson (and Ilias I guess), everyone else in the 13 is a rather seasoned campaigner at this point, so there shouldn’t be much left to chance.

Firstly I hope he is on the field for the entire season. I think he's always going to be the type of player who drifts in and out of the game but when he gets involved it is often devastating.

Cheers

Firstly I hope he is on the field for the entire season. I think he's always going to be the type of player who drifts in and out of the game but when he gets involved it is often devastating.

Cheers
I think the truer statement would be he’s mainly effective in the opposition 30, meaning he’s effectiveness is reliant on the team getting him in those positions to capitalise.

It would be nice if he had a kick return game, or an out of trouble hit-up in his game, but it’s seems that’s not his bag.

I think the truer statement would be he’s mainly effective in the opposition 30, meaning he’s effectiveness is reliant on the team getting him in those positions to capitalise.

It would be nice if he had a kick return game, or an out of trouble hit-up in his game, but it’s seems that’s not his bag.
I agree his kick return leaves a lot to be desired but I think he can be very dangerous ever from our own half - as long as there is a bit of room, the combination with Cody can still cut the defence up badly and led to a long range try.

Cheers

I think his kick returns will improve as the season progresses and his fitness lifts. As we know playing fullback is more taxing aerobically and this is where Latrell can definitely improve. Yes I know he’s not a rookie fullback but he hasn’t really strung together a full season playing there. You’ll notice that his first instinct is to offload to a winger in support but I believe that we’ll see more of him taking on the first line defenders this season.

Hearing him talk, it doesn’t sound like something he entertains. In his Bloke interview he was pretty clear that some guys go for scoots, and some guys save themselves for the big play. He’s considers himself the later. He could take the scoots, but he’d have nothing left at the other end of the park.

I’ve always had the belief that Latrell would turn into GI Mk 2 on kick returns and as we know GI was lethal on that play, so much so that opposition coaches had their kickers focussed on kicking away from him. That was the most potent weapon in our arsenal. GI would regularly beat the first line of defenders and then anything was possible particuIarly if he found himself in open spaces. I do believe that Latrell has that sort of ability and I see no reason he wouldn’t add that to his kit bag.

Last edited:
Has anyone been to training and have they seen Latrell continue to do the exercises that he learned in the US? I recall seeing him do a few in warm-ups last year prior to a match.

I’ve always had the belief that Latrell would turn into GI Mk 2 on kick returns and as we know GI was lethal on that play, so much so that opposition coaches had their kickers focussed on kicking away from him. That was the most potent weapon in our arsenal. GI would regularly beat the first line of defenders and then anything was possible particuIarly if he found himself in open spaces. I do believe that Latrell has that sort of ability and I see no reason he wouldn’t add that to his kit bag.
Ability yea.

Desire I don’t think so.

Latest posts

Back