• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Journalists ruining rugby league

Bunny Boy

Reaction score
As a kid I wanted to be a rugby league journalist. It was what I thought was my dream job. Follow the game I love and talk/write about it.

When university decisions needed to be made I was talked out of it.

Point being, I have a respect for the art of journalism and writing.

What the current journos are doing to the game is appaling. Now that their tenticles have extended beyond print media, its feeding their egos and they have an inflated self importance in the world of rugby league.

This was never more evident than the recent footy talk podcast with Chammas and Weidler. In my opinion Chammas is the WORST of the lot.

Would love to hear everyone elses thoughts on this-

Any chance you can give us a minute or so on the podcast we can fast forward too, or a breif summary of what was said without going into it too much in order for us to make our minds up without having to listen to waffle and advertisments?

One of the first journalism jobs I sought was as a reporter at Rugby League Week. I missed out but received some encouraging words from Tony Durkin, then a senior figure at the magazine. I finished up as a court reporter but wrote some rugby league stories for the Telegraph in Brisbane and The Age in Melbourne (pre-Storm). I think part of the problem is that mainstream media wants to beat social media to stories while featuring on it for clicks. Individual journalists are expected to advance their "brand" and too many have chosen "controversial fool" (I have tidied that up) to make sure they get noticed. I see fast-paced and dynamic job environments in journalism adverts instead of reliable, truthful, and factual as qualities that were sought.

For what it's worth, I am happy that I missed that early job and I never applied for the rugby league reporting job at The Age. I might have missed out, but I could not have stood providing positive spin for the Storm, no matter how professional they were.

They’re competing against professional click-bait and the Google algorithm.

Truth be damned.

Any chance you can give us a minute or so on the podcast we can fast forward too, or a breif summary of what was said without going into it too much in order for us to make our minds up without having to listen to waffle and advertisments?

To be honest, its the whole episode in my opinion that highlights their egotism.

Example - why did Parramatta officials lie to them that Brad Arthur was going to be sacked. In the same breath they criticize clubs that have "leaks". They then question whether they "trust" Parra in the future.

Brad Arthur having all the journos over his place after the sacking because theyre all mates with him.

Making a snide remark that Chammas should take credit for Madge getting sacked at the Tigers.

I could go on and on.

It doesn’t help that the current crop of league journalists, almost to a man, are massive cockheads! James Hooper a massive standout as the biggest knob of all! 🥇

Chammas is gold medalist followed by Hooper for mine.

so called footy journalists aren't journalist's.

They're a bunch of blokes pushing their own agendas and opinions on everyone.

Trying to influence people with their garbage.

Guessing shit and posting it like it's fact.

One of the first journalism jobs I sought was as a reporter at Rugby League Week. I missed out but received some encouraging words from Tony Durkin, then a senior figure at the magazine. I finished up as a court reporter but wrote some rugby league stories for the Telegraph in Brisbane and The Age in Melbourne (pre-Storm). I think part of the problem is that mainstream media wants to beat social media to stories while featuring on it for clicks. Individual journalists are expected to advance their "brand" and too many have chosen "controversial fool" (I have tidied that up) to make sure they get noticed. I see fast-paced and dynamic job environments in journalism adverts instead of reliable, truthful, and factual as qualities that were sought.

For what it's worth, I am happy that I missed that early job and I never applied for the rugby league reporting job at The Age. I might have missed out, but I could not have stood providing positive spin for the Storm, no matter how professional they were.

Great story mate. Thanks for sharing.

Chammas is gold medalist followed by Hooper for mine
I find him fairly innocuous…Hooper for mine seems like because he reports on Rugby League, he thinks he’s some type of hard man, talking tough! 🙄

Last edited:
You know when you watch a pretty simple movie and think, "that was fun, I enjoyed that"? Then you look up the movie on IMDB or YouTube and discover it's the worst movie in human existence and everyone who likes it is a moron? It's not true, but then you start to question yourself and whether you truly enjoyed it? And the endless commentary sullies your opinion of the film a little?

That's what Sydney rugby league "journalists" do for me.

Back