• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Journalists ruining rugby league

i dont mind them, thats the way it is now
Oh please Kev, REAL journos like Alan Clarkson, Ian Heads etc would be rolling in their graves.

The current mob are like schoolgirls trying to out do one another with "scoops". They hound clubs and players trying to dig up dirt and if they can't find anything, they'll probably make something up.

If it was an Olympic sport you'd drug test them all.

Oh please Kev, REAL journos like Alan Clarkson, Ian Heads etc would be rolling in their graves.

The current mob are like schoolgirls trying to out do one another with "scoops". They hound clubs and players trying to dig up dirt and if they can't find anything, they'll probably make something up.

yeah i guess

And have a read of their analysis of games. Most of what is written is just regurgitating what is discussed in the post game television coverage.

Its actually pointless reading the articles the next day if you watched the TV 🥴

Would love to hear everyone elses thoughts on this-

I don't really have a problem with journos and what they do because I generally ignore them and treat them like Pride posters, people with an opinion, nothing more. Some you like, others not so much.

Sometimes I'll agree, sometimes I won't.

But I really don't think journos are the problem anyway.

I feel it's a generational and informational issue. Anyone under about 50 has been raised in a society in which you can sit behind a keyboard and within seconds have as much info about any topic as you could ever possibly find need for.

When I was a kid if you wanted to research a topic for a school project or whatever, you got your arse to the library, it was your only choice.

It's now a "look at me" generation, look at the ridiculous tag of "Instagram Influencer", what the **** is that? Someone who craves attention but has no ability or talent.

So, look at league forums as an example.

Within five mins of a journo posting a story or "scoop", log on to the Pride, go to the rumours thread and someone will have taken the story from the journo and try to present it as their own. In these instances you can tell as it is always prefaced with something like "I'm hearing" or "I've been told" because they want to be first and crave attention.

No, you have not been told, you stole it.

Not sure why, it's not hard (obviously) for some of them to spend so much time on Facebook, X, Tik Tok or where ever, nick the journo's story then try to palm it off as their own.

People keep mentioning Alan Clarkson and Ian Heads as great journos, you could probably throw a lot of others in like Frilingos, maybe Mike Gibson, whatever. But those guys only had to compete against a handful of journos within the same area to get the "scoop".

And they basically only had to cover NSW.

These days journos have to cover NSW, VIC and QLD, as well as compete with a million bloggers, Facebook, Tik Tok and X and probably 99% of the population who have a PC.

It's a big race between them all (and their egos) to get the story out quickly. I am sure journos have KPI's and bonuses for clicks and advertising, the generation we live in probably forces them to make the story a little over the top or more controversial in order to meet those goals.

I have felt for a long time the access we now have to information is one of the greatest things I've seen in my life, it's also one of the worst and most dangerous.

If anything I possibly feel a little sorry for most journos as I think they are being forced to compete in areas they shouldn't have to, and it almost forces them to abandon their ethics in the never ending race to be first and grab the attention.

Ohhhhhhh
Myyyyyyy
Godddddd

I know hes not a journo, but this is another example of rugby league media proving its a joke.

On triple m sunday, rumours swirled that Cobbo was going to be picked on the bench.
Gordie went ape shit and was totally against a winger taking a forwards bench spot.

Was 110% against it.

Fast forward 24 hours. Slater announces side. Cobbo on bench.

Tallis on 360 supporting the choice and saying how dangerous he will be even if he gets 10 mins.

How the f*** does anyone believe anything they say.

This is beyond ridiculous.

They’re competing against professional click-bait and the Google algorithm.

Truth be damned.
Yep, but who is to blame. The people who write the rubbish or the people who read it?

It's not journalism anymore, it's gossip. New Idea for Rugby League.

Fox sports website is one of the worst.
90% of the stories are negative and drama
Rarely a good news story

Journalism is in a pretty sad state overall - going into the HSC phase, I picked electives around pursuing journalism as my future career, mainly because I wanted to go into sports journalism and broadcasting (I'm an amateur commentator for rugby at the moment thanks to the COVID livestreaming boom).

The problem is so much in Australia has been tailored to elicit visceral responses rather than tell the story - the "who, what, where, when, how" paradigm has given way to "this is what happened BUT this is how you should feel", essentially turning reporting into narrative.

When political careers became more lucrative than service, politics became much more "us v them" because you had to drum up loyalty and blind following to keep your job. When journalism became more about outselling the competitors and ad revenue, the same has occurred.

You'll also notice the change in Fox League's coverage over the past 2 decades. Shows like NRL Teams, Tactics and other analysis shows have given way to 360's tabloid witch-hunt. SuperCoach and first try-scorer have greater importance than player and coaches performance, along with how the 1% who have a gig at News feel about each particular player.

At least the Footy Show were honest - we talk footy, but also here's an Anti Ad or Reg Reagan or Beau Knows or the boys getting high off kava. We have fun and we're light hearted, a bit like what Matty Johns is doing.

Anyone who followed the professional wrestling "Monday Night Wars" will know of Eric Bischoff - he was probably ahead of his time when he said "controversy creates cash" but that has been the way post-9/11.

Ohhhhhhh
Myyyyyyy
Godddddd

I know hes not a journo, but this is another example of rugby league media proving its a joke.

On triple m sunday, rumours swirled that Cobbo was going to be picked on the bench.
Gordie went ape shit and was totally against a winger taking a forwards bench spot.

Was 110% against it.

Fast forward 24 hours. Slater announces side. Cobbo on bench.

Tallis on 360 supporting the choice and saying how dangerous he will be even if he gets 10 mins.

How the f*** does anyone believe anything they say.

This is beyond ridiculous.

Maybe he had a think about it, spoke to Slater to understand why he was going to do it, and changed his mind.

People do that.

Back