• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Climate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Europe becomes 'heatwave hotspot' as temperatures top 45C

Clear

14°C°F
Berlin, Germany
Friday 3:00 am
Fri
Partly cloudy

22°
14°
Sat
Showers

23°
11°
Sun
Partly cloudy

24°
13°
Mon
Mostly cloudy

28°
18°
Tue
Sunny

33°
18°
Wed
Mostly sunny

36°
20°
Thu
Partly cloudy

32°
18°
Fri
Partly cloudy

28°
16°

Funny how people are quoting the pacific Islands, the same people cuddling up to the worlds biggest carbon emitter, follow the money as i said, the whole show is about compensation and aid, why on earth would these Islands be hammering this country re climate change when we are minnows compared to China, India, USA and Europe, and there is a big difference between a rising sea levels and a country sinking.

Sri Lanka goes green and goes broke....

So your trying to imply that Sri Lanka is not in desperate trouble caused by going green?, now your in denial or just 14 years old and silly..
I guess you call SBS right wing as well..

There's a right way and a wrong way to go about things. Just because they did it the wrong way, doesn't mean you throw the green baby out with the bath water. That's just stupid.

I have no doubt that humans are pumping lots of CO2 into the atmosphere and that this is causing the planet to warm. This in turn changes weather patterns. But I am not at all sure that this is an emergency, particularly when exaggerated claims have led to a misuse of resources. Why is change all bad? For example we have had two La Nina phenomena of the east coast of Australia in quick succession. This is unusual but not unprecedented - was it caused by climate change? No-one really knows. But that rain caused floods (which could have been mitigated by proper planning and action) but also gave us bumper harvests in inland Australia for the farmers - that created considerable wealth. So raise the height of existing dams, build weirs and dams that will help control flooding. Since much of Sydney's housing is on a flood plain this would be sensible, climate change or not.

Cheers

I have no doubt that humans are pumping lots of CO2 into the atmosphere and that this is causing the planet to warm. This in turn changes weather patterns. But I am not at all sure that this is an emergency, particularly when exaggerated claims have led to a misuse of resources. Why is change all bad? For example we have had two La Nina phenomena of the east coast of Australia in quick succession. This is unusual but not unprecedented - was it caused by climate change? No-one really knows. But that rain caused floods (which could have been mitigated by proper planning and action) but also gave us bumper harvests in inland Australia for the farmers - that created considerable wealth. So raise the height of existing dams, build weirs and dams that will help control flooding. Since much of Sydney's housing is on a flood plain this would be sensible, climate change or not.

Cheers
Essentially, the widely held belief that it is an emergency or crisis is based on the upward trend of global average temperatures above the pre-industrial age average reaching a tipping point of irreversible disastrous consequences once that average increase in global temperatures exceeds 1.5 and then 2.0 degrees. Currently it is said to be at 1.1 above and already we are seeing extreme weather conditions and changes in all directions as a result and as predicted.

I have no doubt that globally, it is an emergency and humanity can't afford to be slowed and delayed any more.

“There is a genuine possibility that within the coming century, we will hit temperatures that are deeply incompatible with the continued existence of human life,” he says.

With human ingenuity, I’m sure a true, viable clean energy source will be found. Let’s hope it’s sooner rather than later.

A 10 minute ABC production on the pause, ie where warming halted at a time of dramatic increases of carbon for China and India.
And lets not forget carbon makes up just .4% of the earths atmosphere

Cheers
Bops I think the temperatures will increase but the fact remains that at just over 1% of total world emissions australia can't do anything about it even if climate change is man-made, that's not say that we shouldn't explore the renewable path but things have to be done in an appropriate manner and not spurred on by hysteria and alarmism.

It's the most vulnerable in our society that will suffer if changes aren't introduced in a sensible and considered manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back