• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Bennett, Bunnies agree terms on $3m deal

Wayne Bennett signs three-year deal to return to South Sydney as head coach​

Peter Badel
It's official. Wayne Bennett is returning to Souths. NRL Imagery

It’s official. Wayne Bennett is back at the Bunnies.
The Eels have failed in their pursuit of Bennett with the Dolphins super coach agreeing terms on a three-year deal to return to South Sydney until the end of 2027.

The Rabbitohs are expected to make a formal announcement on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT
CONTENT RESUMES ON SCROLL
Breaking his silence on Parramatta’s secret approach, Bennett confirmed his heart was always set on a comeback at South Sydney.

Bennett coached the club from 2019-2021, Picture: Annette Dew

Bennett coached the club from 2019-2021, Picture: Annette Dew
“Yes, I’m going back to Souths,” Bennett said.

“The deal is done, I am pleased we have sorted things out and we can now focus on the rest of the season.

“Parramatta did make contact with me. I respected their wish to keep it confidential, but they made the decision to speak about it.

“I never left anybody in any doubt that my preference was to go back to South Sydney and I’m very pleased that’s happening.”

I've just listened to an "emergency bye round" podcast where Graham & White prattled on about how Parra were in the box seat and that Bennett was going to backflip and go with the Eels, and that the Eels were a better prospect.

Seems the Roosters have bought another media outlet.

Graham is starting to believe his own bullshit.

(I won't comment on the absolute wankfest of calling it an "emergency"...well maybe I just did 😉).

Dobbo on MMM Brisbane this morning reporting Wayne will be announced by us today, according to the man himself.

The very important part now arrives.

For anyone thinking we can just coast through this year and "embrace the wooden spoon" (goof). No. Every week matters. Every play. Every moment.

We have something to build. Wayne can't walk into a bottom tier team who just kept losing with the loosest middle you've ever seen and have everyone think he's there to be the saviour.

He has to walk into a group that can be proud of the way they fought through adversity.

WE MUST create some memories this season. Some performances to be proud of.

That's why every moment matters.

Get angry. Have standards. Fight for the jersey.

He can walk into a group that's down on form and absolutely wasted a year of their lives but a group that knows they can be reborn.

He cannot walk into a group that's just waiting for their messiah and going through the motions.

I've got no doubt Wayne will call a few of the players over the coming weeks and put them on notice (if he hasn't already).

Hopefully the players are aware Wayne won't cop these performances and put the onus on themselves to lift - because it's the only way we're going to see any improvement.

For anyone thinking we can just coast through this year and "embrace the wooden spoon" (goof). No. Every week matters. Every play. Every moment.

We have something to build. Wayne can't walk into a bottom tier team who just kept losing with the loosest middle you've ever seen and have everyone think he's there to be the saviour.

He has to walk into a group that can be proud of the way they fought through adversity.

He can walk into a group that's down on form and absolutely wasted a year of their lives but a group that knows they can be reborn.

He cannot walk into a group that's just waiting for their messiah and going through the motions.
I agree and it's also important that the club doesn't just think that Wayne will fix everything. He's a big piece, probably the biggest, but they can't stop here.

Keep sweeping that broom, Souths.

Well said!

How the Eels management tried to convince Bennett.

Eels - sign with us
Bennett - no
Eels - please?
Bennett - no
Eels - Come on, please please.
Bennett - no
Eels - we will be your best friends if you do
Bennett - no

How the Eels management tried to convince Bennett.

Eels - sign with us
Bennett - no
Eels - please?
Bennett - no
Eels - Come on, please please.
Bennett - no
Eels - we will be your best friends if you do
Bennett - no
I’m sure they would have argued that their squad is closer to a GF than ours and I would agree.
Their halves and forward pack are definitely better and it feels like they only need a sprinkle of Wayne magic and they would be contenders.
I would put us more in “work in progress basket” and I feel like we are aiming first to be back in the top 8 then top 4 then maybe contenders…feels like we have a journey ahead of us

Its been reported now by lots of people yet we hear nothing from the club it self.

Why can't they report the news to members first?

Latest posts

Back