• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Bennett, Bunnies agree terms on $3m deal

It’s hard to replace them mid season

I’m hoping they are the first to go in the offseason

That said I was hopeful of the same last offseason and it didn’t happen
It will happen. I know there are quite a few things happening in the background. There is nobody safe right now from up the top through to the players themselves.

I think there’s a general feeling that the Wayne Bennett appointment will become the catalyst for an improvement across the roster. In general I think Wayne will extract that last 15-20% out of the roster, all else being equal.
We know for example that players like Cody Walker have shown their best form under his tutelage. I think Latrell is similar and with the expected tighter focus on fitness and conditioning his performance should lift accordingly. This is the crux of our problems, we are clearly behind the field in terms of best practice in the area of fitness when you watch the front running teams maintaining their performance over the 80 minutes vs Souths faltering towards the end of both halves. That should have been obvious to JD but it went unchecked at the same time as the roster was decimated through injuries etc. I can’t escape the feeling that maybe the 2 are related.
So, the ‘all else being equal’ part has some caveats.

Wayne Bennett teams aren’t necessarily known for having a fitness edge. What he does do amazingly well is prepare them to be going full throttle in August and September.

It’s a long season and a lot of teams that look great in April will flame out by July or August. I reckon this was a huge part of our issues last year and that snowballed into this year. We were unstoppable in March and April 2023, then we just flamed out. I reckon JD went with a softer approach this year to have us build into the season and unfortunately we just never got off the ground.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. My thoughts are we have to look at which positions are weak. To me our forwards are not dominating so that’s where I’d focus first. Determine who we can get and then decide who needs to go. Then same for the backs. Ultimately when someone comes in the team should be stronger

Latest posts

Back