• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Jack Wighton

Not even Bellamy can, Storm haven’t fired a legitimate premiership shot since Munster, Papenhuyzen, Grant and Hughes all came of age and contract worth.

For their 2020 win Pappy was in his second year and Hughes was in his first year as a full time halfback. They would have both been on very friendly deals with Munster and Smith the stars.

Since that Storm spine has graduated to league leaders, they’ve looked weak elsewhere.
Injuries have played a big part in that to be fair. Papz has been injured for 3 years. Munster and Hughes have both been in and out a few times due to injury as well.

Let’s look at a team that has done it. Since the Panthers started losing some spine players, they have started to come back to the field.

In recent years they have lost Burton, Kikau, Capewell etc, people thought they’d fall away as they looked a lot weaker (elsewhere) too. They won competitions anyway. I’d argue, only now that Korisau is gone and Cleary has been out injured that all of a sudden they look vulnerable.

A better spine doesn't mean a better team

Hurts your cap too much and you have an unbalanced squad

Only Craig Bellamy can get away with that

But we need to strengthen our wingers especially or we're weakening for no reason
Disagree.

Keep quality in the important positions wherever you can.

If you have to compensate elsewhere so be it.

Disagree.

Keep quality in the important positions wherever you can.

If you have to compensate elsewhere so be it.
‘Important positions’.

I’d argue lock has taken over from 9 as the 4th most important position on the field to have quality, and has essentially become part of the spine.

If Dodd is good enough to keep Wighton out of the halves, then Mitchell, Walker, Dodd, Murray and whoever our 9 is (if it’s Mamouzelos, fine) is a strong enough core to challenge the 4 IMO (assuming the pack and outside backs look solid - which for the most part they do). Look at the comp, its currently wide open.

I don't think we need to compensate anywhere. I know I have talked up Dodd in my posts and if he doesn't go well I am sure my posts will be revisited by those with good memories, but I believe we have a top 4 spine, provided Cody, Trell and Murray fire. A top quality winger is what we really need and that's not going to break the bank. About the same as JDB would have cost.

‘Important positions’.

I’d argue lock has taken over from 9 as the 4th most important position on the field to have quality, and has essentially become part of the spine.
This is probably another conversation, but i am 50/50 on that. The hooker touches the ball first in attack and has to make a lot of tackles in defence. I look at the locke as the 5th spine member. Like the 5th major in golf. (Which Americans say is the Players Championship, but we know its really the Australian Open).

I recon Lachy Illias could be our best option at 9. There is no future in the NRL for him as a 7 but he could be a workhorse 9 with a little bit of ball playing skill thrown in there. There is really not much to learn in terms of bringing the markers into play from 9.

So work the markers over to aid the forwards then give quality ball to his halves. Simples. We already know he is great on the defensive side of things.

Munro has the right wing wrapped up doesn’t he?
Depends on any new signings WB has up his sleeve. Otherwise my personal opinion would be yes. Munroe has a good leap on him and is certainly fast, 2 things we have lacked on the right for years. Would be better if he bulked up a little over the off-season though.

I don't think we need to compensate anywhere. I know I have talked up Dodd in my posts and if he doesn't go well I am sure my posts will be revisited by those with good memories,

I spoke with Mark Ellison on Saturday and specifically asked about Dodd.

My first question was can you compare him to any current NRL #7.
Mark said not really, he doesn't stand out as a copy of anyone else.

Next question was what about his skill set, Mark said good kicking game, can ball play and create gaps for others to run through, can guide a team around and not afraid to tackle.

He seems very confident in what he will bring to Souths.

Agree but I think we have that for 2025. Including Murray at 13 as part of the spine.
There are question marks over if Trell can stay on the field all year and still question marks over 7 and 9. So I’m not gonna say we have it til I see it in action next year

An awful lot of chat on here about next year. Just a quick update for those who've apparently written off our season. We still have a shot at this year and a more than capable team to get us there. How about more chat about this year and in particular Jack Wighton who last I looked was the title of this thread.

An awful lot of chat on here about next year. Just a quick update for those who've apparently written off our season. We still have a shot at this year and a more than capable team to get us there. How about more chat about this year and in particular Jack Wighton who last I looked was the title of this thread.

You post what you want and others can do the same.

Yes it started with Jack and morphed into the lineup for next year. Some of the posts were very insightful, (not mine), and it was a spirited discussion. So you are right, but what was the "good achieved" to shutting it down. Sometimes you can just let it go.

Latest posts

Back