• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Who is your favourite South Sydney fullback of all time?

Ecka was also a terrific halfback when required only possie he didn’t play was front row!
He played every position in the backline!

Djura and Cruickshank were favourite players of mine in the early 80’s more than Neil Baker later in the 80’s. I will say Wade McKinnon gave a early great moment in 2002 in Canberra whe caught Blaine Stanley’s alley pop pass back over his head and went in between the posts for our first win back in the comp. But was it 2 weeks later against Brisbane and he had a shocker with the high ball?
Baker was before cruickshank and djura

My memories go back as far as Lummy and Simms who were both good fullbacks. Especially Ekka. A guy I really liked was Steve Walsh. Then of course there is GI and Latrell. My vote for the best is GI. In all my days watching footy I had not seen a player like him who could score tries from anywhere using a glorious combination of skill, power, footwork and speed. Watching GI in the open back field sprinting to the try line was a sight to behold just as Macca was 5 decades before. For mine GI is not only the best FB I have seen at the club he is the best player I have seen in Cardinal and Myrtle. Which is a huge call as my memories go back to the mid 60's.

GI was also a tremendous last line in defence. I still maintain that one of the best one on one tackles I’ve ever seen was when he hit Uate steaming down the sideline and had GI in front of him…..GI in one seamless action hit Uate head on, stripped the ball as he put Uate over the sideline and got the ball inside to Nathan Merritt….my goodness he did all of that in the space of a couple of metres before the tryline. That was simply a brilliant play.

Gaz not wishing to compete,that GI tackle was utterly super.
Back in the day at Redfern defence wasn’t as paramount,Souths v Saints 1950’s
Saints broke through and there were a few players in support,Clive had three or four coming at him.He ran to the ball carrier who passed the ball to his left etc.Clive induced each player in turn to pass the ball finally it went to the player on the flank who Clive then crash tackled into touch.
In the same game Bryan Orrock a 15stone prop broke through and was running at Clive looking to his left and right as to who he was going to pass to.
Clive timed his run and crash tackled Orrock.Bryan a Souths junior was carted off on a stretcher.
Clive was 10 and a half stone!
The crowd gasped!

My memories go back as far as Lummy and Simms who were both good fullbacks. Especially Ekka. A guy I really liked was Steve Walsh. Then of course there is GI and Latrell. My vote for the best is GI. In all my days watching footy I had not seen a player like him who could score tries from anywhere using a glorious combination of skill, power, footwork and speed. Watching GI in the open back field sprinting to the try line was a sight to behold just as Macca was 5 decades before. For mine GI is not only the best FB I have seen at the club he is the best player I have seen in Cardinal and Myrtle. Which is a huge call as my memories go back to the mid 60's.
Do you recall Greg Purcell?

Not with us for long but gee he did some good things defensively.

Sure do he was Bernie's son and pretty handy FB and kicker. He was the FB before Steve Walsh.

Was he Bernie's son or nephew? I have it stuck in my head he was a nephew.

Anyway, very under rated and watched him almost every game at Redfern in the 70's.

Aaahh the stars we had back then, Geoff Bultitude, Jim Swift, John Delaney.........................

This thread is about Souths best /favourite f.b,not your ego!

Gaz not wishing to compete,that GI tackle was utterly super.
Back in the day at Redfern defence wasn’t as paramount,Souths v Saints 1950’s
Saints broke through and there were a few players in support,Clive had three or four coming at him.He ran to the ball carrier who passed the ball to his left etc.Clive induced each player in turn to pass the ball finally it went to the player on the flank who Clive then crash tackled into touch.
In the same game Bryan Orrock a 15stone prop broke through and was running at Clive looking to his left and right as to who he was going to pass to.
Clive timed his run and crash tackled Orrock.Bryan a Souths junior was carted off on a stretcher.
Clive was 10 and a half stone!
The crowd gasped!
Clive must have been something back in the day. I was too young to see him play but the fact that people still talk about his exploits says that he was peerless.

Id say Clive but i was too young to have seen him play but from all reports he was amazing and being an immortal he surely tops this list.

But in my lifetime its this

1. GI
2. Latrell
Daylight

If Latrell can steer us to a premiership then he would have to be the equal of GI you would think?

Scratch that ASH I am getting old and jumbling my years - All 3 were in and out mid 80’s -

Latest posts

Back