• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Who is your favourite South Sydney fullback of all time?

It would be awesome if someone could collate all the stories and memories of the great players of our Club. As some have mentioned, as time goes on legends like Clive will be remembered less and less.

We need to preserve their memory and our history.

I know there is footage on the Pride of the League video. It’s very limited though.

Was he Bernie's son or nephew? I have it stuck in my head he was a nephew.

Anyway, very under rated and watched him almost every game at Redfern in the 70's.

Aaahh the stars we had back then, Geoff Bultitude, Jim Swift, John Delaney.........................
Terry Wuromus…..

Gaz if you Google there is an excellent article by Alan Clarkson in the SMH about his mate Clive!
Back in the day when footy journos actually knew about footy!😡

Clive has to be #1 in every way, with all the good judges. Hallett, however, rates as #2. The reports from long ago rated him as brilliant. I went to school with Kevin Turner's son. Clive came up to him one game and pointed to a spot on the field. He said that I want you running full belt past this spot in three tackes. Sure enough the ball was there and Kevin was off for a try.
GI is my favourite I have personally seen. I think that he could have been better than Churchill with an injury free career.

I copied the list from a stats website Mags, they must have missed him.
I know other people have said this, and I am NOT having a go at you at all, but some of the statistics seems a little strange. Eric played many seasons, most of them at full back. Lummy was a full back for a lot of games. I could be wrong though.

I know other people have said this, and I am NOT having a go at you at all, but some of the statistics seems a little strange. Eric played many seasons, most of them at full back. Lummy was a full back for a lot of games. I could be wrong though.
I think Lummy was the established fullback and then Ecca took over . I think Lummy played primarily at fullback whereas Ecca also played a lot of centre. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Bundy,Lummy played centre and f.b. Ecca was a utility who eventually settled at f.b.

Clive has to be #1 in every way, with all the good judges. Hallett, however, rates as #2. The reports from long ago rated him as brilliant. I went to school with Kevin Turner's son. Clive came up to him one game and pointed to a spot on the field. He said that I want you running full belt past this spot in three tackes. Sure enough the ball was there and Kevin was off for a try.
GI is my favourite I have personally seen. I think that he could have been better than Churchill with an injury free career.
I doubt that Chelsea there is a UTube video entitled Clive Churchill the little master!
it closes with Clive’s list of achievements.
GI was a great player…….Clive was a genius!

There is a clip of Clive in a Test where he beats tacklers with acceleration,I will see if I can find it.
Possibly on You Tube.
PS He was a prodigious punter of the ball and a pressure goal kicker!
Yep, I found that one but there’s not much else. I guess it’s the 50’s after all and before TV took off.

As Perce said,there are a couple of other docs where they talk about Clive belting the crap out of 15stone forwards with his tackling technique.
I remember a game against Easts where Clive crash tackled one of their big forwards.Both players were carted off on stretchers,later Clive came back on with his head swathed in bandages,the Easts player went to hospital!

As Perce said,there are a couple of other docs where they talk about Clive belting the crap out of 15stone forwards with his tackling technique.
I remember a game against Easts where Clive crash tackled one of their big forwards.Both players were carted off on stretchers,later Clive came back on with his head swathed in bandages,the Easts player went to hospital!
My 92 year old mum saw Clive play regularly. When asked she will wax lyrical about Clive's ability in attack and defence. Many stories as mentioned here.

I think Lummy was the established fullback and then Ecca took over . I think Lummy played primarily at fullback whereas Ecca also played a lot of centre. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I had a look in the old HISTORY OF SOUTHS. Now I ignored 1965,66 and 67 where I know Simms played a lot of different positions, albeit some full back, and concentrated on years 1968 to 76. In the back it has a list of players and how many games each played each year. Now I figure that Simms played mostly fullback from 1968 onwards. I cannot recall many games where he played other positions, if at all. He played 166 games during that time.

I doubt that Chelsea there is a UTube video entitled Clive Churchill the little master!
it closes with Clive’s list of achievements.
GI was a great player…….Clive was a genius!
I do have to concede. GI was so much poetry in motion so it must have been a thrill to see someone so much better. It would have been lovely see Churchill in action. Mind you many brilliant judges who had seen both Churchill and Hallett play still had to ponder about who they would choose. They would almost always come up with Churchill but without a lot of conviction. Gee we have had some real champions over the years.

Latest posts

Back