• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Who is your favourite South Sydney fullback of all time?

Ecca. was a bloody good player in every position,he actually played halfback when we had an injury and acquitted himself well.
As you say he settled into f.b.well,personally I would rate Ecco our best utility.

Chelsea my Dad lived in the Redfern area back in the days of Howard Hallett and Harold Horder,he used to have a drink and a chat with Horder!.
His opinion was that Hallett was superb in his genre catching,kicking and tackling.
Clive changed the way a f.b.played by running the ball,making an extra 5/8 and generally spifflicating the opposition😝
Different eras different values

Can’t help myself sorry folks but there is yet another story that I recall about Clive and the Flash Ian Moir!
it was a rainy day at Redfern and I was in the newly built stand at with my folks.
Souths were playing the Berries(Dogs) it was Ian’s 100th game for Souths and he was on 99 tries.
As Souths were and still are.inclined to go to sleep against lesser teams,there were minutes to go and though Souths were winning Ian hadn’t scored.
A scrum was packed on the Berries 25 and Clive broke through on the open (right)side of the ruck.As he ran to the line he veered to the left looking for Moir.
Ian had missed the boat and was dawdling around a way back.
Clive then started to mark time stepping and evading would be tacklers until Ian got there.
Clive then passed to an unmarked Moir who ran ten yards to score in the left corner.His 100th try in his 100th game!
The crowd went bananas……..again!
Magic!

Ecca. was a bloody good player in every position,he actually played halfback when we had an injury and acquitted himself well.
As you say he settled into f.b.well,personally I would rate Ecco our best utility.
To go with your posts. Yes Ecca 'filled' in a few times- the half back was especially important- against Saints at the Sport's Ground in 1967. He won the game with a couple of field goals in the last 10 minutes.
Loved the story about your dad- I can imagine a Time machine going back to watch Souths games from 100 years ago. I hope you recorded all his stories.
Love those Clive stories- Reminds me of the game with Alex against Easts I think with the 5 tries.

I would rate Paul Sait over Ecca for utility value. He was an international Centre, lock and Second rower and in his time at Souths also played 5/8 and Front row.

Yeah Perce Saitywas terrific and a great clubman.
His Nick was Pegleg because of injury when he went to prop.
Ecca had such uncanny goal kicking skills he would have landed that goal in the GF last year.Along with Clive they kicked the goals when they were needed!

I would rate Paul Sait over Ecca for utility value. He was an international Centre, lock and Second rower and in his time at Souths also played 5/8 and Front row.
Yes Sait for sure. Probably one of the greatest utilities of all time actually.

Having thought about this some more, I tend to agree with @Antisoft's early comments on Latrell.

Right now, I think I have Greg and Latrell on par with each other, but Latrell can certainly surpass Greg if he's pivotal in Number 22.

23 and 24 would also be nice :D

Latest posts

Back