• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Who is your favourite South Sydney fullback of all time?

Ecca was so special.

Lummy's long range kicks I don't think has ever been equalled or close to it. I remember him kicking 3 goals from halfway and beyond in reserve grade using the old leather balls!

I think I have to pick GI because he was such a freak and excitement machine, but Mitchell is looking close.

Latrell as a fullback hasn't really achieved anything yet. He hasn't been on the field long enough.

Some of the names on the list like McKinnon, Watts and Polglase bring back some dark memories... having said that, there's no denying for the three names I just mentioned that they did give it their all whenever they wore a red and green jumper. You can't say that about everyone from the reinstatement era.

Who else can remember Brad Watts' step on a kick return that never quite seemed to ever be able to beat a defensive line?
I liked polglase he was a real goer. Tough as nails

I dont need to have seen them play. Just read the stories and stats its enough for me. Ill always include guys like treweek smacker blair churchill and others in my favourites. Anyone who has a sound knowkedge of our complete history and has read the amazing stories surrounding these gugs would agree. Again you dont have to have seen them play.

Last edited:
Latrell as a fullback hasn't really achieved anything yet. He hasn't been on the field long enough.
Maybe if he wins a couple of comps and dominates in Origin, internationals and NRL he might be considered an achiever.

Oh, hang on......

Has AJ really played fullback 59 times???

And Kevin Longbottom certainly played fullback at least 20 times. He played for Souths 105 times and mostly at fullback.

Some of those numbers are way off.
The number for AJ would be very close to being that. We have to remember he did play 2 seasons as our fullback and has filled in several times.

Having not seen Churchill, GI would be my favourite, but if Mitchell plays out his career with us I can see him taking that place.

Come to think of it, I can't even recall seeing any film of Clive Churchill playing?

I never got to see Churchill play so there is no way I could have him as my favourite. When I was younger I did enjoy watching Maybon play. But it would have to be GI. Being there live for that try he scored against the Broncos. The roar from the crowd was insane.

GI became a fulltime fullback at 25.

Latrell is now 25.

So it’s game on.

Plus, GI only got 4 years at fullback (2012-2016) due to injuries and an early retirement.

So if you’re benchmarking, expect Latrell to have a fairly spectacular next 4 seasons. :)

Clive Churchill is our greatest fullback. Latrell has the ability to match at least GI and possibly go even better but let's see how he applies himself in the next few seasons. None of us ever saw Hallett but I ran into an old-timer in the 1960's who reckoned he was better than Churchill. Apparently he was very accurate kicker in general play (I remember reading an article once that said he could land a kick on a threepenny bit from 25 yards away).

But at the moment it's Churchill - who is still probably recognised as the greatest league player of all time.

Cheers

CoarseWelllitAidi-size_restricted.gif

To young for Clive
Inglis would be the best
But for winning games…Eric Simms and his goal scoring ability, my sentimental favourite

Maybe if he wins a couple of comps and dominates in Origin, internationals and NRL he might be considered an achiever.

Oh, hang on......
Hence the comment "As a fullback". This post was about fullback if I'm not wrong.

GI definitely my favourite over the recent years but growing up loved watching Bronco Djura play and how could you not love that name. Good cricketer as well

I loved seeing Longbottom at fullback. He's my nostalgia pick. Inglis the best I've seen in that role but I would have loved to see Merritt play there a lot more than he did. His 5 try haul I think was at fullback. His support play was outstanding.

Didn't Nathan have 2 or 3 sons? They'd be in their mid teens by now. Any sign of them in junior grades? If they had half his skill . . .

I know Nathan parted with the club on pretty bad terms. I wonder if any healing has taken place there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back