• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Who is your favourite South Sydney fullback of all time?

I do remember Baker playing a bit of fullback, but he was primarily a 5/8 and a good one at that. He picked up the Dally M 5/8 award in 85 and was constantly among the leaders during his time with us. He was a very astute kicker as well. I feel if he were playing now, he'd be on big dollars.

Baker was an absolute game breaker Bundy excellent 5/8 cum f.b.

For those who are genuinely interested Clive in atack.
Wests were a top team in those days.Once again at Redfern,Wests kicked off to Clive in the left corner pocket Mascot end,Moir was playing right wing,Clive would wend his way to Ian’s wing stepping numerous would be tacklers,set up Ian whose blistering pace would then result in a try in the diagonally opposite corner.This was a regular occurence in Clive’s heyday.To me I still don’t understand how he was such an amazing attacker.He was fast and elusive he mesmerised his opponents!
Often times as he bamboozled a would be tackler he would poke his tongue out as he sailed past!Cheeky Bastard much loved by the Redfern mob!……sigh!
People who didn’t even follow RL would go to see Churchill play,this I was told by a fellow spectator.Much like going to see Bradman play!
A legend in his own lifetime!

Wests were a top team in those days.Once again at Redfern,Wests kicked off to Clive in the left corner pocket Mascot end,Moir was playing right wing,Clive would wend his way to Ian’s wing stepping numerous would be tacklers,set up Ian whose blistering pace would then result in a try in the diagonally opposite corner.This was a regular occurence in Clive’s heyday.To me I still don’t understand how he was such an amazing attacker.He was fast and elusive he mesmerised his opponents!
Often times as he bamboozled a would be tackler he would poke his tongue out as he sailed past!Cheeky Bastard much loved by the Redfern mob!……sigh!
People who didn’t even follow RL would go to see Churchill play,this I was told by a fellow spectator.Much like going to see Bradman play!
He must have been amazing Mags.

Yes ,my father and grandfather told me stories like this. I'm privileged to have been introduced to the man/legend by my grandfather .

CC is the reason I'm following Souths today. Has to be my favourite although I was too young (about 5 / 6) to realise who he was.

Reactions: VIP
Brings a tear to my eye upon recollection Gaz!
My earliest recollection of Clive would have been when he took over as coach after Bernie Purcell. He was certainly a big part of that golden era.

Clive was a real good bloke and a character,he used to run a bottle shop on Anzac Pde past the Juniors towards Maroubra!

Reactions: VIP
I remember stories my mates dad use to tell me about watching Clive. He use to tell me this one story how he use to clean up a kick right on the goal line with players right on him. He would then use the goal posts to swing himself around and beat them.

We will never have another player like Clive. Sadly the more time moves the more he will be forgotten. But to think 60 years after he had finished people still were referring him as the greatest ever. Only in recent years is he starting to be less in those conversations.

It seems like every couple of years now we have a new greatest ever. I always say judge a player and his career 10 years after he has retired. That will tell you much more about them.

Guess it says so much about Clive when here we are almost 70 years since he finished playing and he is still being spoken about in such high regard.

Well said Kempy,your story about Clive using the goalposts to slingshot himself.
I saw him doing just that,he would be laughing and playing games with the poor bastards trying to tackle him!
If you are sitting in the grandstand on your right there is the grass hill,in the day Clive would come in and settle his wife down on a blanket.The whole Souths crowd would be watching his attentive behaviour.
When the team ran out for the big game Clive always rolled up the sleeves of his heavy jumper which no one else did!
After he took his position he would then turn to where his wife was sitting and wave to her.
The crowd would go bananas!😂

Is there any archival film footage of Clive in his heyday ?.
It’d be great to see just how dominant he was.

Is there any archival film footage of Clive in his heyday ?.
It’d be great to see just how dominant he was.
There is a clip of Clive in a Test where he beats tacklers with acceleration,I will see if I can find it.
Possibly on You Tube.
PS He was a prodigious punter of the ball and a pressure goal kicker!

Latest posts

Back