• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

What are you currently listening to?

And thanks guys.

@daRque - my son, who’s now 24 loved “Unca John”, as he called him and Cat Stevens.

Still listens to Cat Stevens to this day.

I’m trying to work out what Beatles albums I want to get. I’m particularly keen on their early stuff.

And perversely their last album too.

And thanks guys.

@daRque - my son, who’s now 24 loved “Unca John”, as he called him and Cat Stevens.

Still listens to Cat Stevens to this day.

I’m trying to work out what Beatles albums I want to get. I’m particularly keen on their early stuff.

And perversely their last album too.
Must haves:

Help
Revolver
Rubber Soul
Abbey Road
White Album

Atlantic Crossing, Rod Stewart
Simple Man Simple Dreams Linda Ronstadt
Heart Attack & Vine Tom Waits
My Aim is True Elvis Costello
Parallel Lines Blondie

I also have plenty of these on vinyl. A couple not on here I'd add would be Blonde on Blonde - Dylan and Deja Vu - CSNY

So, I have a significant birthday coming up (very) soon.

And my dearly beloved is buying me a record player (long story, but I had two record collections stolen and I've finally decided to rebuild it).

This is the list I've compiled so far. My only "rule" was to only select singers/bands with albums prior to ~1989, as this was when digital recording started (from my memory). I figure if you're going to listen to a record, you need to listen to the analogue version, not the digitally recorded stuff (and I know that there are a lot of albums that are done from digital masters today).

I have eclectic tastes, liking R&B (60's/70's), Rock (despise Black Sabbath), Girl groups of the 60s, Elvis and some pop (e.g Cat Stevens and the Beatles).

I also prefer albums to compilations/best ofs (and yes I know I have some best of requests).

This is the list I put together, and would welcome any recommendations / things I've forgotten:

Led zeppelin - III; IV

Rolling Stones - high tide and green grass; Sticky Fingers

Carole king - Tapestry

Stranglers - golden brown

INXS - shabooh shabah; listen like thieves; kick

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Sky hooks - living in the 70’s

Midnight Oil - 10,9,8…1; best of

Cold chisel - breakfast at sweethearts; East

Talking Heads - best of

Cat Stevens - best of

Elvis Presley - best of; from Elvis in Memphis

REM - best of

Doobie brothers - best of

Sam cooke

Otis Redding - dock of the bay

Credence Clearwater - best of

Joe cocker - best of

U2 - the Joshua tree; best of

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Australian Crawl - boys light up; Sirocco

Richard Clapton - best of

The Police - best of
Alchemy by Dire Straits if you like em

I'd be gutted if my collection got stolen. I like most of what you have listed. My taste has changed a lot over my lifetime and what I listened to back in the vinyl days is somewhat different to now, although I still have a soft spot for these artists; Bowie, Lou Reed, Clash, Blondie, Bob Marley, Radio Birdman, Paul Kelly, Hendrix. Aretha Franklin, Frank Zappa, Allman Bros, Janis Joplin, Funkadelic and Parliament. Could probably come up with scores of others if I thought long enough.

Best wishes for your birthday. 🍾
I saw Bowie live in ‘77 i think - during his serious moonlight or glass spiders tour - at the old sydney cricket ground.

****ing awesome concert. One of my all time favs.

(I also saw Kiss there, who were bloody good - around the same time.

Love that album.

Most boring band I’ve ever seen though. Fell asleep they were so bad.
Wilbur Wilde tells a funny story about him playing with them in Adelaide. He's off to the side waiting for when he's on and Mark Knopfler is playing some slow, haunting solo with the spot light on him, etc and at the worst possible moment a couple of young blokes in the (silent) crowd spot Wilbur.
"Hey Wilbur", "look it's Wilbur Wilde"
Mark was not impressed and Wilbur was not asked back 🙂

Wilbur Wilde tells a funny story about him playing with them in Adelaide. He's off to the side waiting for when he's on and Mark Knopfler is playing some slow, haunting solo with the spot light on him, etc and at the worst possible moment a couple of young blokes in the (silent) crowd spot Wilbur.
"Hey Wilbur", "look it's Wilbur Wilde"
Mark was not impressed and Wilbur was not asked back 🙂
Honestly I was surprised no one started a mexican wave in the Entertainment centre, it was that bad.

I don't mind Dire Straits but being honest apart from Knopfler's outstanding guitar ability they are pretty boring. And all Knopfler's best stuff was done outside of Dire Straits anyway.

I don't mind Dire Straits but being honest apart from Knopfler's outstanding guitar ability they are pretty boring. And all Knopfler's best stuff was done outside of Dire Straits anyway.
Knopfler gets away with not actually singing in many of his songs. It’s actually brilliantly done. Makes a mockery of shows like the Voice.

Love the use of Sting in money for nothing with the tune of “Don’t stand so close to me”.

Knopfler gets away with not actually singing in many of his songs. It’s actually brilliantly done. Makes a mockery of shows like the Voice.

Love the use of Sting in money for nothing with the tune of “Don’t stand so close to me”.
"I want my MTV".........

Yeah he has a very average voice, but then most vocalists over sing these days anyway, all the vocal acrobatics and trying to hit every note in ever scale, can't stand it.

Funny you mention the Voice, was discussing that show with a couple of fellow musos the other day. We all agreed that if they find a singer who is really good and different, a little bit unique, they get rid of them quickly and always go for someone who sounds like everyone else from the assembly line of contemporary singers.

I also think we don't do enough to encourage songwriting, a show like The Voice for singer/songwriters would be awesome. We need more original Aussie material.

I also think we don't do enough to encourage songwriting, a show like The Voice for singer/songwriters would be awesome. We need more original Aussie material.
Why would they want to do that for? Right off the bat they lose 50% of the royalties that the song writer gets. For them it’s about controlling and making the money.

The live music scene in Sydney isn’t great at all. Many of the live venues have closed down or they are more worried about Pokies.

My brother owns the Beer Shed out at Lumeah and he has plenty of live music out there. Some great local talent. Although most of the live music there is country.

From what he told me he makes next to nothing from them performing there, but it gets people in there and buying drinks. The other thing is he loves helping up and coming artists.

He did live out his dream. Andrew Farris of INXS performed there. He ended up having drinks with him after the show well into the night.

Back