• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

What are you currently listening to?

We have an endless history of great songwriters in contemporary music, decade after decade.

Bowie was an incredible writer, could paint a picture with lyrics or the music.
The Doors wrote some very interesting stuff, so too Jagger and Richards.

Simon and Garfunkel had a great partnership.

The Bee Gees were absolute masters at songwriting.

In country music we have been blessed with Dolly Parton, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams etc.

Obviously Sir Paul and Lennon were at a level that influenced music, fashion and culture, and though he doesn't get a lot of credit as a writer Harrison was not far behind them.

As far as Aussie songwriters go INXS were great writers of commercial music and managed to have a very unique sound. The Finn brothers know how to write great songs as well.

The Easybeats were awesome as writers.

How lucky are we to have great music to listen to across so many decades.
Lots of great Aussie acts down the years. Have only just given Midnight Oils' 10 to 1 CD a rest from my car stereo. Blows my mind to think that it's over 40 years old. Can't think of a better Australian album. Although I'm sure there are plenty of contenders.

Lots of great Aussie acts down the years. Have only just given Midnight Oils' 10 to 1 CD a rest from my car stereo. Blows my mind to think that it's over 40 years old. Can't think of a better Australian album. Although I'm sure there are plenty of contenders.
Agreed. I have it on vinyl and the sound compared to CD or Spotify is miles better. Deisel and Dust and Place Without A Postcard are other ripper Oils albums. Dark Room by the Angels is also one of my favourites.

Last edited:
So, I have a significant birthday coming up (very) soon.

And my dearly beloved is buying me a record player (long story, but I had two record collections stolen and I've finally decided to rebuild it).

This is the list I've compiled so far. My only "rule" was to only select singers/bands with albums prior to ~1989, as this was when digital recording started (from my memory). I figure if you're going to listen to a record, you need to listen to the analogue version, not the digitally recorded stuff (and I know that there are a lot of albums that are done from digital masters today).

I have eclectic tastes, liking R&B (60's/70's), Rock (despise Black Sabbath), Girl groups of the 60s, Elvis and some pop (e.g Cat Stevens and the Beatles).

I also prefer albums to compilations/best ofs (and yes I know I have some best of requests).

This is the list I put together, and would welcome any recommendations / things I've forgotten:

Led zeppelin - III; IV

Rolling Stones - high tide and green grass; Sticky Fingers

Carole king - Tapestry

Stranglers - golden brown

INXS - shabooh shabah; listen like thieves; kick

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Sky hooks - living in the 70’s

Midnight Oil - 10,9,8…1; best of

Cold chisel - breakfast at sweethearts; East

Talking Heads - best of

Cat Stevens - best of

Elvis Presley - best of; from Elvis in Memphis

REM - best of

Doobie brothers - best of

Sam cooke

Otis Redding - dock of the bay

Credence Clearwater - best of

Joe cocker - best of

U2 - the Joshua tree; best of

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Australian Crawl - boys light up; Sirocco

Richard Clapton - best of

The Police - best of

I'd be gutted if my collection got stolen. I like most of what you have listed. My taste has changed a lot over my lifetime and what I listened to back in the vinyl days is somewhat different to now, although I still have a soft spot for these artists; Bowie, Lou Reed, Clash, Blondie, Bob Marley, Radio Birdman, Paul Kelly, Hendrix. Aretha Franklin, Frank Zappa, Allman Bros, Janis Joplin, Funkadelic and Parliament. Could probably come up with scores of others if I thought long enough.

Best wishes for your birthday. 🍾

I'd be gutted if my collection got stolen. I like most of what you have listed. My taste has changed a lot over my lifetime and what I listened to back in the vinyl days is somewhat different to now, although I still have a soft spot for these artists; Bowie, Lou Reed, Clash, Blondie, Bob Marley, Radio Birdman, Paul Kelly, Hendrix. Aretha Franklin, Frank Zappa, Allman Bros, Janis Joplin, Funkadelic and Parliament. Could probably come up with scores of others if I thought long enough.

Best wishes for your birthday. 🍾
Not once, but twice! Including some stuff that would’ve sold for hundreds if not thousands today.

****…forgot Bowie

I can’t quite work out which Paul Kelly album to get. I love him and have seen him multiple times.

I could never get into Zappa.

And thanks for sharing. Got some good ideas off that already!

Springsteens Born to Run a must have. So far ahead of it’s time and different to the other crap that was around in ‘75

So, I have a significant birthday coming up (very) soon.

And my dearly beloved is buying me a record player (long story, but I had two record collections stolen and I've finally decided to rebuild it).

Pin Ups, Bowie. An insane album, hearing Bowie do Friday on my Mind back then just did my head in, awesome stuff.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road = I am not a huge Elton fan but that Album was ground breaking in a number of ways with a really diverse range of songs.

You have to throw a Rodriguez album in there somewhere.

Sgt Pepper - It's not a collection without Pepper.

Never Mind The Bollocks - Pistols, a piece of history.

Back