• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Round 18: Rabbitohs v Eels

I feel very confident with our middle even without Murray. Mainly due to the new 80 minute intensity we have now. That makes Murray on the right edge a bonus in attack and especially defence. When was the last time he missed a tackle, 2018? (I am assuming Murray will be on the right edge tonight). With Cody playing down the right the combination with Murray could be a handful for Parra. That is 1 aspect I am looking forward to watching.

disappointed with this team selection. what is the message to Gray ?

LM is our fullback , no other positions for you in top grade.

we won't move LM to centres , even though that is our current weakness in the backline.
we wont't move Jack to centres , and give you a chance at half , even though centres is our current weakness.

we will send you back to reserves as fullback , even though we just said LM is our first grade fullback . at least send the kid into halves and give him a chance to develop to push for a first half back role.

No we do the same thing we did to taefe, never give him a chance to develop / show his half abilities.

Im not as knowledgeable as some of you re positional play ect , but could Gray be a top ranked halfback?, his acceleration and footwork reminds me of Toovey, could halfback be his long term position?.

we won't move LM to centres , even though that is our current weakness in the backline.
we wont't move Jack to centres , and give you a chance at half , even though centres is our current weakness.

we will send you back to reserves as fullback , even though we just said LM is our first grade fullback . at least send the kid into halves and give him a chance to develop to push for a first half back role.

No we do the same thing we did to taefe, never give him a chance to develop / show his half abilities.

The messaging to Gray is pretty simple.

You’re a tremendous prospect. At the first grade level we see you as a fullback.

To date, you have less than a dozen open age appearances, ditto appearances at fullback.

Your running game is good. Your ability to chime into the attack with a passing game out the back needs work.

Your positioning in defence and organisation of the defensive line needs work.

How you inject yourself into the game from the back needs work.

We have a senior playmaker in Cody Walker moving on shortly.

Use the time between now and then to ensure we can’t pick anyone else at fullback when that time comes (Latrell will move to 6).

And don’t worry, you’ll get plenty more opportunities in first grade and NSW Cup between now and then to develop your game.

Gray , has played his junior career to date in the halves.

If we are not willing to move LM or Jack to centre now when we have centre weakness , why would we move LM to halves when Cody goes?

Look , I am not saying Gray is a better fullback then LM , or even that his career should be at fullback.....however it appears he will not be fullback whilst LM is there , so why are we not developing him in the halves.

As for selection , I believe we should be playing our best 17 , Gray is better than Kennar. Gray did a good job at fullback whilst LM was out ...... we have a weakness in the centres ...... shift LM to centre and bring in Gray at fullback. I believe that is our strongest side.

hence my disappointment with the team selection.

If we are not willing to move LM or Jack to centre now when we have centre weakness , why would we move LM to halves when Cody goes?

Look , I am not saying Gray is a better fullback then LM , or even that his career should be at fullback.....however it appears he will not be fullback whilst LM is there , so why are we not developing him in the halves.

As for selection , I believe we should be playing our best 17 , Gray is better than Kennar. Gray did a good job at fullback whilst LM was out ...... we have a weakness in the centres ...... shift LM to centre and bring in Gray at fullback. I believe that is our strongest side.

hence my disappointment with the team selection.
I would rather Gray in the halves and Jack back at centre. That would be a stronger backline in my opinion, but it is probably better not to change a winning team. Finally we have a winning team. The only way Gray will get back into the starting lineup, barring injury, is if......shock !... horror !... we stop winning.

Kennar and Milne have been playing above their weight and fan expectations. Let’s hope it holds up. They haven’t let us down the last few games. Ditto Keppie and the other guys who likely aren’t top 17 starters if everyone is fit and healthy.

Roll on Bunnies.
Jack Gibson said, "Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.”
The Super Coach would agree with you.

Cause Latrell will move to 5/8, where he’ll be an integral member of the spine, not catching a cold in the centres.

This really isn’t a problem IMO.

I highly doubt Gray is looking at Mitchel, Wighton, and Walker in the spine (all Origin players) and kicking stones cause he isn’t playing in one of those positions.

But I get you may prefer to have him in the side, which is fine.

Also, the ‘junior career’ stuff is always a little misleading isn’t it?

He’s 20. He missed a large chunk of last season and sure, when he did play Flegg it was in the halves. Did he play 7 games all up? By the end of this year there’s every chance he’ll have played more 1 than 6 or 7 in the last 2 years.

Then prior to that he has 2 Mal Meninga Cup seasons and played (according to Our Footy Team) 9 games total? Mostly as a 6.

That’s his club level junior reps experience.

He played off the bench for QLD u/19’s.

And sure, whatever he played at school or at local club level, I’m assuming that’s as a 6/7.

All I’m saying is, junior reps seasons are blink and you’ll miss them type events.

Compared to becoming a full time professional footballer the last 2 years (in amongst injured periods).

The thing is ,we don't have a backup fullback unless we throw Alex back there. Until we get one Gray will be that option . He will need to be honing his game there in reggies in preparation for Latrell missing from our lineup. I'm sure the kid won't be too disappointed. Fullback money far exceeds that of most other positions on the field so he won't be complaining.

How long will Gray want to play reserve grade as a stand in NRL fullback. Gray is a dynamic type of player and will attract interest from other clubs to be in their run on side.

Souths have an annoying habit of trying to turn natural halves into fullbacks.

Blake Taaffe? The bloke who can barely get a look in at the Dogs as a fullback, and is rated lower than Sexton and Hutchison as a half?

People are honestly still upset about that?

Latest posts

Back