• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Round 18: Rabbitohs v Eels

I have massive concerns in regard to playing Gray in the front line.

There’s no shame in it. Some of the most tremendous players in the competition can’t play there. Take Ponga. J. Campbell as examples.

If Gray is to make it, I think fullback will have to be his spot.

I have massive concerns in regard to playing Gray in the front line.

There’s no shame in it. Some of the most tremendous players in the competition can’t play there. Take Ponga. J. Campbell as examples.

If Gray is to make it, I think fullback will have to be his spot.
There will be no issue if he’s outside Murray

Think back to how Gillette used to protect Milford who at that stage had no interest in defending

Gray can just as easily be isolated at 1 or at 6

Fullbacks defend in the line inside the 20

He’s either good enough or he isn’t

Posters need to stop becoming emotionally attached to players and judge them on their ability to contribute to winning a Premiership

Hopefully with the dramatic improvement in our defence, we can restrict Cartwright's offloads.

To me he seems to be more determined and play his best games against us.

They all like to offload and pass.

Matterson likes to offload, paulo like to offload and pass

Hopefully with the dramatic improvement in our defence, we can restrict Cartwright's offloads.

To me he seems to be more determined and play his best games against us.
They will start fast so if we can hold them out for the first 20 then I think we will put some points on. Looking forward to a good kicking game from Latrell and Jack.

Only change is Paulo moved to bench with ofahengaue moved to starting side.

There will be no issue if he’s outside Murray

Think back to how Gillette used to protect Milford who at that stage had no interest in defending

He’s either good enough or he isn’t

Posters need to stop becoming emotionally attached to players and judge them on their ability to contribute to winning a Premiership
There will be plenty of issues.

As a half, you have to be able to make your one on one tackles. You can’t rely on someone else to do it for you.

Halves make around 20 tackles per game. Fullbacks 5.

Posters on here are fans. Fans are emotionally attached.

So? We aren't going to be put to ransom by Jye Gray.

Let's not be silly now.

I'd also struggle to think of a single side that would have Jye Gray in their starting team.
Didn’t Jye start for us last week???

This defies any sort of actual logic.

Plays to be exploited at a fullback: defending on your line, a middle of the field bomb.

Plays to be exploited in the front line: tackles 1-6 every time you don’t have the ball for 80 minutes.

There’s no comparison.

I’m not saying he can’t defend in the front line, like you say, if he’s good enough, he’s good enough. Small doesn’t automatically mean speed bump.

But to say he can be exploited at both in anything close to parity… how?

He’s far less of a spot player at 1, ignoring the fact his kick returns are great, he covers ground well, and the ball playing he’s done at 6 will eventually transition to 1 once he’s settled. Plus he can still get in at first and second receiver from there.

There will be plenty of issues.

As a half, you have to be able to make your one on one tackles. You can’t rely on someone else to do it for you.
As a fullback all your tackles are one on one, with no one to help
Posters on here are fans. Fans are emotionally attached.
Attachment should be to the club and players like Murray

Not a kid from QLD who hasn’t proved himself yet

This defies any sort of actual logic.

Plays to be exploited at a fullback: defending on your line, a middle of the field bomb.

Plays to be exploited in the front line: tackles 1-6 every time you don’t have the ball for 80 minutes.

There’s no comparison.

I’m not saying he can’t defend in the front line, like you say, if he’s good enough, he’s good enough. Small doesn’t automatically mean speed bump.

But to say he can be exploited at both in anything close to parity… how?
Did you not watch the 21 GF

Penrith went away from spiral bombs on Taaffe hoping for an error in the preliminary. To kicking high and absolutely dominating him on the catch/return

It’s a big factor in why we lost that game.

Hes not a fullback that will win you a comp. Therefore ImHo he’s not a fullback
He’s far less of a spot player at 1, ignoring the fact his kick returns are great, he covers ground well, and the ball playing he’s done at 6 will eventually transition to 1 once he’s settled. Plus he can still get in at first and second receiver from there.

Did you not watch the 21 GF

Penrith went away from spiral bombs on Taaffe hoping for an error in the preliminary. To kicking high and absolutely dominating him on the catch/return

It’s a big factor in why we lost that game.

Hes not a fullback that will win you a comp. Therefore ImHo he’s not a fullback
That sounds very smart, but isn’t actually why we lost that game. Yes they kicked well and we struggled to get out of our own end. But Gray offers a lot more at the back than Taafe. And his kick returns are much stronger. And he’s only half a dozen games into his career.

If Walsh can play fullback at the elite level, Gray can’t be ruled out.

But that makes sense, if you don’t see him as being able to become an elite fullback, fine.

I think he can. Genuinely.

Latest posts

Back