• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Round 12: Rabbitohs v Eels

I have brought this up before but I wonder if we are suffering from “nearly” syndrome?
After 4 years of nearly getting there, somewhere in the back of their minds, is the thought that they will never get there. This a drop in intensity.
Yet, they led last season after beating the unbeatable.

That’s been the mentality that has plagued the club for years

Making preliminaries was deemed as a success

It’s not really a loss if you score the same amount of tries, but miss some kicks

We train hard by our standards but not by the standards of the benchmark teams

Now it seems under Hornby as long as the efforts good it’s a win. Even though it’s not

Our football was always ugly under JD.

I hated his press conferences from day 1, because if we conceded 14 points and won, we showed 'great defense' (even if the opposition bombed 4 or 5 tries through no skill of our own). He would never mention that. The ends would justify the means. Every win was well earned, never ugly, and every loss was unlucky, and "not ideal"

I've almost forgotten what we played like under Wayne but I remember being extremely, extremely confident in the second half of 2021.

For me, winning isn't enough. You have to win and leave no doubt out there that the result was inevitable from minute 1.

You can slip up, but only because you're human. Our lowest skill floor must still be higher than our opponents ceiling.

It takes a certain mindset to achieve that, and I don't know which suit, smile or staff back there currently has that.

Well, I did know one, but he had to leave early for the birth of his child with the finals on the line :)

over the last few seasons we played some great footy and some lousy ones , we seemed to be really lucky in alot of games, as in "well we were lucky to win that one "never seem to have any consistency like Penrith and Storm do

Our football was always ugly under JD.

I hated his press conferences from day 1, because if we conceded 14 points and won, we showed 'great defense' (even if the opposition bombed 4 or 5 tries through no skill of our own). He would never mention that. The ends would justify the means. Every win was well earned, never ugly, and every loss was unlucky, and "not ideal"

I've almost forgotten what we played like under Wayne but I remember being extremely, extremely confident in the second half of 2021.

For me, winning isn't enough. You have to win and leave no doubt out there that the result was inevitable from minute 1.

You can slip up, but only because you're human. Our lowest skill floor must still be higher than our opponents ceiling.

It takes a certain mindset to achieve that, and I don't know which suit, smile or staff back there currently has that.

Well, I did know one, but he had to leave early for the birth of his child with the finals on the line :)
Agree totally

If you look at what became the brain’s trust of our football department the only one who had been part of a premiership winning campaign was Ello, and he essentially became an executive assistant

I know for a fact he wanted to move Cook along previously but was over ruled so he essentially sat there with his mouth shut doing what he was told to keep his job

I have brought this up before but the walls of the centre of excellence being plastered with the current players with shit slogans is vomit worthy

This mob have achieved nothing. In a presser the other day a reporter asked Ange about having bragging rights. Ange answered’ there’s no bragging rights here until we win a trophy’ and the only pictures you will see up on our walls are of trophy winners, this group haven’t achieved anything yet’

Then compare that mentality to what has plagued our club

Everyone from Solly down need to pull their ****en heads in and realise they haven’t achieved anything

I have brought this up before but I wonder if we are suffering from “nearly” syndrome?
After 4 years of nearly getting there, somewhere in the back of their minds, is the thought that they will never get there. This a drop in intensity.
Yet, they led last season after beating the unbeatable.
That also comes from the top

Everyone was patting themselves on the back for 5 straight prelims, instead of asking what and who do we need to get over the line

The club essentially told the playing ground near enough was good enough and the players bought in to that mentality

Everyone was patting themselves on the back for 5 straight prelims, instead of asking what and who do we need to get over the line

The club essentially told the playing ground near enough was good enough and the players bought in to that mentality
I think it should be somewhere in between though. Making 5 straight prelims shouldn’t be scoffed at either, these are long hard seasons and being a consistent top 4 side is something to look up at. Of course we should be looking at how to we got one or two steps better, but we are talking about a potential dynasty that hasn’t been seen in a very long time with Penrith

Bullshit.

Everyone was trying, every year, to win the competition.

We as a club have made some mistakes and poor decisions especially around recruitment/retention and staff 💯. We have been unlucky with injuries, with the draw and travel schedules etc. That’s fine. But there is no way in the world that we sat by and said last year was good enough so we won’t try this year, or that seasons haven’t been reviewed and try to implement improvements to take that extra step. We just sacked our coach mate. If we were happy with things, nothing would change at all.

I’m sorry but your take on this is idiotic.

You know South Sydney were founded in 1908. Have competed for the competition for 114 seasons (2 years excluded from the competition). Only won it 21 times. That is the most!

Winning the premiership is not an easy feat to accomplish.

I forgot to mention yesterday, but from the training gallery that was released yesterday, it looks like Deaon is training with the team? Sneaky switch maybe?

**** me.

Did we string up 3 dozen black cats?

Yet another calf strain.

I forgot to mention yesterday, but from the training gallery that was released yesterday, it looks like Deaon is training with the team? Sneaky switch maybe?
Well spotted!

Back