• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Round 12: Rabbitohs v Eels

1 Gagai
2 Johnston
3 Mitchell
4 Chee Kam
5 Thompson
6 Wighton
7 Walker
8 Moale
9 Cook
10 Koloamatangi
11 Host
12 Arrow
13 Duncan

14 Burgess
15 Mamouzelos
16 Keppie
17 Havili

Seen Gags Jr play fullback and he goes quite well
Generally opposed to Mitchell at centre, but due to injuries more value to the team at 3
Not really happy Thompson and Chee Kam in the side, but there is more or less no choice
Wighton and Cody together might work well.
Koloamatangi needs to start working, hard, and using his size up the middle, and long minutes.

If Duncan needs a spell I’d bring Mamo on at hooker and move Cook into a roving 13 position with instructions to loiter around the middle about 3 or4 metres from the ruck to look for defensive gaps/angles and run, run and run some more. Would do this regardless of Duncan.

Unfortunately due to injuries any team selected at the moment will have weaknesses in it and be open for criticism.
Even if we had Cam Graham and Ty Munro available the side is immediately stronger and negates the need for players like Chee Kam and Thompson.

I have to say it’s not easy picking a strong team at the moment and I feel kind of sorry for Hornby, there are some very limited choices available.

You're probably right but when the ball kept going to Cody then Jack on the left, Thomo was mostly left doing hit-ups out of our end. Missed a few tackles though but so did Jack. Anyhoo............
Yes, that appears correct. Walker has the call on the field, and doesn't know anything other than to shuffle it left.

At least when Lachie was half, we got the ball moving to the right when needed.

As someone who doesn’t think the squad needs an overhaul, I do realise that we’re currently only 5 players short of our top 17 (or what I would call our top 17). And the performance is worse than that should equate to.

Roster isn’t everything though, as you can have the best roster in the comp - if they aren’t prepared well, it means nothing.

I guess it really comes down to what you see as the biggest problem.

Certainly all the factors contribute to some extent, but you’d assume one is at the top. Depending on which you think that is, your remedy is likely different.

I agree though, I don’t get the shuffling of chairs. Does nothing to help improve our defence if there’s a different guy next to you every other week.

I would have stuck with essentially the same side as against the Cowboys personally (just with the guys returning included). Let them figure it out.

Though having said that, if they’re starting 2025 preseason now and trialling for positions, it makes slightly more sense.

Indigenous Round has always been 'our Round.' We're arguably the biggest Indigenous club and we always do such a great job of celebrating it. Further to that, we never lost an Indigenous Round game ever up until last year. That one hurt, losing on such a special day, so I'd love to avenge that this week and make it 'our Round' again.

Indigenous Round has always been 'our Round.' We're arguably the biggest Indigenous club and we always do such a great job of celebrating it. Further to that, we never lost an Indigenous Round game ever up until last year. That one hurt, losing on such a special day, so I'd love to avenge that this week and make it 'our Round' again.
Can’t believe this round last year, of all rounds, was the start of our slide. We went to Allianz on a high…which got higher when GI appeared to a standing ovation….and then all of a sudden, nothing happened for 12 months.

Last edited:
I don’t understand the lack of love for Tallis Duncan. When Cam went down with injury I thought we had the perfect replacement 13. Who played the same way. Yet both coaches refuse to pick him. Am I missing something?
Tallis was named 18th man for a couple of weeks in Demetriou’s last weeks ie he didn’t play at all. He is gaining match fitness.

Can’t believe this round last year, of all rounds, was the start of our slide. We went to Allianz on a high…which got higher when GI appeared to a standing ovation….and then all of a sudden, nothing happened for 13 months.
I left that game early. I never leave games early. But I saw that night they weren't putting in. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would have lead to where we are now...

I left that game early. I never leave games early. But I saw that night they weren't putting in. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would have lead to where we are now...
Crazy isn’t it. There was so much talk pre game and so little passion when it counted.

Latrell stripped the heaviest and likely strongest forward in the game, Paulo, 1v1. Paulo was trying to fall to the ground with the assist of gravity and Latrell held him up and ripped the ball out.

It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. Ever.

And then we became the worst team in the league.

Wild.

Latrell stripped the heaviest and likely strongest forward in the game, Paulo, 1v1. Paulo was trying to fall to the ground with the assist of gravity and Latrell held him up and ripped the ball out.

It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. Ever.

And then we became the worst team in the league.

Wild.
We scored off that play didn't we? Mental

We lead that game with 30mins remaining and we just... stopped playing. And haven't really started again.

Someone will write a book about it one day.

I don't know if there is a theory. Like I said, last year we had some scrappy early loses and wins against top teams that had not reached their peak. The issues were there. Winning just masked them. Once the losses started to come, mentally we couldn't cope and I have no doubt the coaching was not helping solve the issues. Anyone listening to press conferences could see JD and the club were in denial. I see similar things with Hornby. It seems like the mentality was close enough was good enough.
Screenshot at May 23 06-56-49.png

I don't know if there is a theory. Like I said, last year we had some scrappy early loses and wins against top teams that had not reached their peak. The issues were there. Winning just masked them. Once the losses started to come, mentally we couldn't cope and I have no doubt the coaching was not helping solve the issues. Anyone listening to press conferences could see JD and the club were in denial. I see similar things with Hornby. It seems like the mentality was close enough was good enough.
View attachment 2466
That’s been the mentality that has plagued the club for years

Making preliminaries was deemed as a success

It’s not really a loss if you score the same amount of tries, but miss some kicks

We train hard by our standards but not by the standards of the benchmark teams

Now it seems under Hornby as long as the efforts good it’s a win. Even though it’s not

Back