• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Over 60s, Loneliness and Depression

I turn 66 this year and have come to recognise in myself a couple of personality traits that i don't particularly like. I have lost a lot of patience and am very quick to get onto a behavioural slippery slide of jumping straight into becoming angry and defensive as well as always needing to be right. I am trying a couple of new strategies. Firstly I am wearing a red and green Rabbitohs 1908 rubber wrist band to help me to remember to take a few deep diaphragm breaths rather then head automatically onto the anger/ impatience slippery slide. Its sort of a way to help me not get caught up in the all too easy slipstream of destructive responses. Its still a work in progress. Secondly, and I know this is something that won't suit everyone, i am trying some anti depression/ anxiety medication to help get back to a better plateau to develop improved behaviours which will in turn hopefully enable me to feel better about myself and improve my relationship with others. Again a work in progress.
Look, i hope i haven't overstepped the mark with too much personal stuff in this post...its just that i have found talking about stuff and sharing ideas quite cathartic at times. Anyway, best wishes to all my fellow old farts. Go the Bunnies!
the gym mate. get the heart rate up. it works.

Yeah I meant the Asian lady. She's been running it for at least 20 years I reckon? Unless I'm mistaken. Pies are the best. There used to be a great hamburger shop down the road once upon a time too. And of course Legges was a staple. All Lebo now though. Grew up in Sefton so spent many an arvo there lol
Yeah the same 2 Asian ladies are there. You’re probably right about it when I think about it. Time just flies. Love their pies.

Legges was great. Had everything you needed. Now an IGA.

Yeah I meant the Asian lady. She's been running it for at least 20 years I reckon? Unless I'm mistaken. Pies are the best. There used to be a great hamburger shop down the road once upon a time too. And of course Legges was a staple. All Lebo now though. Grew up in Sefton so spent many an arvo there lol
The joke around here anytime a shop closes down is its either going to be a Manoush shop, barber or a mixed business… selling the same stuff the other 6 shops on the strip sell 😝

Primarily posting this to bring it back to the top. And to add that if anyone needs a chirrup (I just invented that word!) send me a note and I am very happy to chat with you. And know that that you do NOT have to be alone, no matter what is going on in the world outside. I will message you my phone number.
Warm regards
Braneganski

I went to Birrong Boys back in late 80s early 90s. Grew up in Regents Park. Still in the area now. It has changed so much as you could imagine.

Love the pie shop there. One of the best around.
Went to school in Regents Park in the mid 90’s. Use to frequent the guy that sold basketball and baseball cards in the front of one of the shops on the main drag in Regents Park circa 1993.

I can relate to that.
I said to my wife recently when you are born you start with a full tank of patience, and now my tank is just about empty. I have close to zero patience these days, things that didn’t used to bother me are now irritants. This all magnified once I’d retired. I’m aware of it so I have to check myself from time to time.
Mate when I retired from my job as a Laboratory craftsman,I asked myself wtf am I going to do.I had been using my hands all my life.
Fortunately I had some retirement money and I had always been interested in cars so I bought myself a modest collection of Alfa Romeos which I then maintained and improved myself!.
The message is Gaz find something you are really interested in and pursue it as a hobby or whatever.
Sorry I don’t mean a sermon from the mount!
Regards
PS Don’t take any notice of those Pride ********s!🤪

Mate when I retired from my job as a Laboratory craftsman,I asked myself wtf am I going to do.I had been using my hands all my life.
Fortunately I had some retirement money and I had always been interested in cars so I bought myself a modest collection of Alfa Romeos which I then maintained and improved myself!.
The message is Gaz find something you are really interested in and pursue it as a hobby or whatever.
Sorry I don’t mean a sermon from the mount!
Regards
PS Don’t take any notice of those Pride ********s!🤪
I’d love to work on cars, but - putting it nicely - don’t have the skill set to do it.

I agree with finding a hobby…still looking for mine! 😜

And is there a reason you chose Alfas? Life long passion, or something else?

As a kid I had a collection of Dinky Toys including a Ferrari,Maserati,Alfa,Lago Talbot etc.
Alfa Romeo truly a romantic name for a magnificent marque,though past their peak.
I still have a modern 4C and a 1972 Zagato bodied Alfa 105 series!.
Both beautiful high performance cars!

Went to school in Regents Park in the mid 90’s. Use to frequent the guy that sold basketball and baseball cards in the front of one of the shops on the main drag in Regents Park circa 1993.
I went to Regents Park Public school during the 80’s. So much has changed at the shops on Amy St. Not long ago Dave and Pam packed up the Newsagency. Only a couple of long term shops remain.

From a female’s perspective….
We are farmers, mid 60’s, and wondering what to do .
Our son has decided to come back to the farm after being in the mines.
My fear for hubby if he decides to step away is what to do with all his spare time. He has no hobbies except his speed boat, and is a bit of a loner. His whole life has been the family farm.
Anyone with a background in accountancy will understand the financial implications of all of this.
It is a real concern (for me).

Just out of interest, Macca, where is the general location of the farm? How far from the nearest town?
Cheers

Just out of interest, Macca, where is the general location of the farm? How far from the nearest town?
Cheers
Braneganski we’re Nw NSW, 30 k’s west of Gunnedah, only 100k’s to Tamworth.
Lots of things to do up here, but doctors etc are near impossible. Hubby has bipolar so it adds another level to any decisions we make.
I’m really interested in hearing how you guys are all coping. I guess there are a lot of us out there in this age bracket having to make the ‘big decisions’.
I’m fine as I’m heavily involved in community work, plus all our kids/grandkids are within a 100k radius. ( and I have the Rabbitohs!)
Stay well everyone and don’t be afraid to talk to people if you think you need help.

Closest connection I can get to you is a bit south, where my aunt and uncle ran the coffee shop for many years - at Weethalle. My cousin went a few kms further south and lives in Leeton. And that is all I have - LOL.
But Gunnedah I know the area reasonably well, as when I was younger I used to go shooting goats up on the Kaputar Ranges.
Warm regards

I think my wife has decided on a number of hobbies she wants me to get into lol :D . Seriously though reading thru this thread and seeing how different we are but how much the same we are makes me feel not alone. I know I'm going thru the same thoughts as many regarding retirement and what to do in retirement... Probably the main reason I'm still working.

Back