• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Over 60s, Loneliness and Depression

There's not much you can do about getting old. Happens to everyone. You can try and make the best of it which isn't easy if you are depressed. When you are depressed the last things you want to do are the very things that can help.

Make small changes. Sometimes you need to force yourself. Exercise including some resistance training which you can do with your own bodyweight. Look at your diet and try and eat healthy whole foods, while reducing the processed foods and take away. Get out and join a group such as mens shed. See your doctor if you think you might want to try medications.

Good luck, you aren't alone with this.

Not sure of your age Grumpy but I am in my 60s. I am lucky that loneliness has not been an issue for myself. Agree with toy that aging does increase the possibility of being alone and a host of other issues. As they say dont suffer in silence. If you need any assistance please look for it. If you ever need to vent join the many here that do. I am always up for a chat on here or in private. Wether people are young old or have totally diffferent views a chat is always a good way to make connections. We should all speak up rather than suffer

Hi Grumpy, You are not alone mate; there is always someone ready to listen and not judge. Don't bottle up your emotions or feelings. This issue resonates with me and my son has actually reached out to you on this thread; he knows firsthand.

I have supplied a couple of links and please do not be offended; just trying to help mate.

Seek and ye shall find....

Glory, glory

PS I am nearly 67 so I can relate to this as well

Hi Grumpy. I seem to recall that when we first spoke, you were living somewhere out on the Great Western Highway past Weethalle. Before you moved to a soft life up the Coast. LOL

And that would have been some 30 or 40 years ago.

Are you that beautiful individual?

This place is full of surprises :LOL:

I think people think a lot more about retirement these days. There used to be an old super scheme called SSS. When you retired you had a pension for life. The Govt got rid of it because people were living for too long. In the olden days men , especially, used to retire at 60 and be dead in 5 years. Me personally, I love Souths and history and so I work on the local historical society at Gerringong and do a few bit of history for Bunnies TV. Keeps me occupied. Just finished a week working on the elections. Good bit of pocket money.
I think you just need to have a project that is a passion. Some people on the Southern Highlands have old cars.

Back