• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Movies: The Best and The Worst!

I love tho old noir films like the ones Bogart & Bacall starred in. The Big Sleep & To have and have not

if you also do I’m sure you’d love Body Heat. Kathleen Turner, William Hurt & Mickey Rorke….when he was good

It had it all; incredible storyline, great acting, wonderful music (John Barry) beautiful cinematography and full of atmosphere (you could feel the suffocating heat and humidity of South Florida in the Summer).

Shyster lawyer Ned Racine (William Hurt) begins a passionate affair with Matty Walker (Kathleen Turner), wife of a wealthy Florida businessman (Richard Crenna). With the help of one of his criminal clients, bomb maker Teddy Lewis (Mickey Rourke), Ned hatches a scheme to kill Matty's husband so that they can run away together with his money. But complications build upon double-crosses, launching the hapless lawyer into a situation far more treacherous than he imagined.

Fantastic!!! Another Body Heat fan! Kathleen Turner the sexiest woman in the universe! Hap[py to chat about it/her at ANZ over a beer one day!

Came across this pic of Elizabeth Montgomery yesterday, someone I was madly in love with as a youngster, and it mentioned the photo was from a 1963 movie called Johnny Cool, it's available for free on Youtube, this might be my movie for tonight.

Damn she was gorgeous!!!

As a kid I was quite certain I was going to marry her AND Barbara Eden.

View attachment 1958
Oh my!

Fantastic!!! Another Body Heat fan! Kathleen Turner the sexiest woman in the universe! Hap[py to chat about it/her at ANZ over a beer one day!

One of her other movies was a ripper as well. “Crimes of Passion” with Anthony Perkins

And, for what it was, and putting up with Nicholas Cage, “Peggy Sue Got Married“ was fun. As was the Man with Two Brains with Steve Martin

Just on Kathleen, I saw her in a play on Broadway called “Would you Still Love Me If”

Cast of 3. Crowd of 50 and I was no further than 10m away from her. She was captivating 💕

One of her other movies was a ripper as well. “Crimes of Passion” with Anthony Perkins

And, for what it was, and putting up with Nicholas Cage, “Peggy Sue Got Married“ was fun. As was the Man with Two Brains with Steve Martin
You know, I dont think Ive ever seen "The Man with Two Brains". Loved "Crimes of Passion" even though it was a wierd Ken Russell movie. How quirky was Perkins "Get Happy" piano piece near the end? What about the Romancing the Stone movies?

Came across this pic of Elizabeth Montgomery yesterday, someone I was madly in love with as a youngster, and it mentioned the photo was from a 1963 movie called Johnny Cool, it's available for free on Youtube, this might be my movie for tonight.

Damn she was gorgeous!!!

As a kid I was quite certain I was going to marry her AND Barbara Eden.

View attachment 1958
I never found her that hot, but she's absolutely drop dead gorgeous in that pic.

I wanted to marry Barbara Feldon (agent 99 in Get Smart) but would have settled for Dawn Wells (Gilligans Island).

You know, I dont think Ive ever seen "The Man with Two Brains". Loved "Crimes of Passion" even though it was a wierd Ken Russell movie. How quirky was Perkins "Get Happy" piano piece near the end? What about the Romancing the Stone movies?

It certainly was quirky 😆

Man with 2 brains…typical Steve Martin humour

Extremely difficult to narrow down, I love movies. I will go with this for a top 5 all time:
- Remember the Titans
- The Patriot
- Point Break (Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves, not that recent abomination)
- Gladiator
- The Departed

Notable mentions by Genre
Horror:
- The Conjuring
- Deliver us from Evil
- The Rite
- Insidious
- Hereditary

Comedy:
- Step Brothers
- Superbad
- Baseketball
- Anchorman
- The Hangover

War:
- We were soldiers
- Braveheart
- Hacksaw Ridge
- Fury
- The lost Battalion

Action:
- Rambo
- Terminator
- Die Hard
- Rocky
- John Wick

Romantic:
- The Notebook
- PS I love you
- A walk to Remember
- Titanic
- Forest Gump

Tear Jerkers:
- I am Sam
- Marley and Me
- The Champ
- The Green Mile
- My Girl

Based on true stories:
- The Blind Side
- The Gaurdian
- The Impossible
- The Perfect Storm
- Chasing Mavericks
- Catch me if you can
- The pursuit of happiness

Superhero:
Avengers movies
Zac Snyders justice league
Dark knight trilogy
Spider-Man
Iron man
Man of Steel

Fantasy:
The Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Star Wars
Pirates of the Caribbean

Last edited:
As for sad movies based on true stories this one is up there, true story of a young man who played well above his weight.

Too many to mention but I'll throw up three of my favourites.
Apocalypse Now - Cant believe no one mentioned this absolute classic. Probably the greatest war movie of all time.
The Towering Inferno - A blockbuster with a cast of legends
Be Cool - This one also had a great cast and was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Extremely difficult to narrow down, I love movies. I will go with this for a top 5 all time:
- Remember the Titans
- The Patriot
- Point Break (Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves, not that recent abomination)
- Gladiator
- The Departed

Notable mentions by Genre
Horror:
- The Conjuring
- Deliver us from Evil
- The Rite
- Insidious
- Hereditary

Comedy:
- Step Brothers
- Superbad
- Baseketball
- Anchorman
- The Hangover

War:
- We were soldiers
- Braveheart
- Hacksaw Ridge
- Fury
- The lost Battalion

Action:
- Rambo
- Terminator
- Die Hard
- Rocky
- John Wick

Romantic:
- The Notebook
- PS I love you
- A walk to Remember
- Titanic
- Forest Gump

Tear Jerkers:
- I am Sam
- Marley and Me
- The Champ
- The Green Mile
- My Girl

Based on true stories:
- The Blind Side
- The Gaurdian
- The Impossible
- The Perfect Storm
- Chasing Mavericks
- Catch me if you can
- The pursuit of happiness

Superhero:
Avengers movies
Zac Snyders justice league
Dark knight trilogy
Spider-Man
Iron man
Man of Steel

Fantasy:
The Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Star Wars
Pirates of the Caribbean
Some great ones. 'The Perfect Storm' was very sad. 'Catch me if you can' really sucked me in. 'Hacksaw Ridge' has brilliant parts- 'please God just let me get one more' 'you know the guy you called a coward'. 'I poured some water over his eyes and he could see and the look he gave me........' especially since they were true.

love Film Noir.

It's why I like Youtube so much, just do a search on "film noir" and you just get an endless list of old movies to watch, and it's free. Trouble with me is I often don't know what I've watched as I don't remember the titles, I have to watch the first five minutes before I know if I have seen it

Ah one of the very best B&W movies ever

Arsenic and Old Lace

Some Australian films I have loved:
The Last Wave
Charlie's Country
Wake In Fright (technically, a British film but an Australian narrative through and through)
Bad Boy Bubby
Stir
Dogs In Space
Ten Canoes
Man of Flowers
Stone
Ghosts of the Civil Dead
There are undoubtedly many others I can't think of right now.

Latest posts

Back