• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Movies: The Best and The Worst!

Came across this pic of Elizabeth Montgomery yesterday, someone I was madly in love with as a youngster, and it mentioned the photo was from a 1963 movie called Johnny Cool, it's available for free on Youtube, this might be my movie for tonight.

Damn she was gorgeous!!!

As a kid I was quite certain I was going to marry her AND Barbara Eden.

1704487849104.png

Came across this pic of Elizabeth Montgomery yesterday, someone I was madly in love with as a youngster, and it mentioned the photo was from a 1963 movie called Johnny Cool, it's available for free on Youtube, this might be my movie for tonight.

Damn she was gorgeous!!!

As a kid I was quite certain I was going to marry her AND Barbara Eden.

View attachment 1958
Very true. I remember seeing a very young version of her in an early Twilight Zone episode with an equally young Charles Bronson.

A couple I don’t think have been mentioned.. Just rewatched A fish called Wanda, still very good today, my kids even liked it.

Also not everyone’s cup of tea but I liked Bad Boy Bubby. A lot of people walked out of the theatre part way through when it was first released.

A couple I don’t think have been mentioned.. Just rewatched A fish called Wanda, still very good today, my kids even liked it.
That was a great movie.

Also not everyone’s cup of tea but I liked Bad Boy Bubby. A lot of people walked out of the theatre part way through when it was first released.
Wow- never heard of it. i will have to look it up. Sounds a bit like Carrie with a mad mum.

Some thoughts on comedies:

Great Comedies:

Life of Brian
Holy Grail
Fish Called Wanda
All 3 Austin Powers movies
Anchorman
Zoolander 1
Spinal Tap
The Jerk
Trading Places
The Blues Bros
The Odd Couple (1968 version)
Best In Show
Office Space
School of Rock
Wayne's World

And of course ANYTHING from the Marx Bros.

I love comedies, my fave genre of movies by far.

Terrible Comedies:

Anything with Sacha Baron Cohen in it, not even slightly amusing.
Anything from Woody Allen.

I loved Woody Allen and think Sacha Baron Cohen is a comedy genius. Each to their own.

Hate anything with Jim Carey.

I loved Woody Allen and think Sacha Baron Cohen is a comedy genius. Each to their own.

Hate anything with Jim Carey.
Jim Carey is an interesting one, very polarising.

I am 50/50 with him, loved Man on the Moon and The Truman Show, both brilliant, but there are a few of his movies that don't do it for me.

I can see why some would not get him at all.

Jim Carey is an interesting one, very polarising.

I am 50/50 with him, loved Man on the Moon and The Truman Show, both brilliant, but there are a few of his movies that don't do it for me.

I can see why some would not get him at all.
To me all he has is pulling faces and gross exaggeration. Didn't see either of those movies though as I'm not a fan.

To me all he has is pulling faces and gross exaggeration. Didn't see either of those movies though as I'm not a fan.
The Truman Show has an interesting philosophical/societal aspect to it, the movie kind of asks the question about what is acceptable within the realm of reality TV, and do we know the difference, and does it even matter. Yes, there is a little of the goofy Jim Carey in it, but it's minimal and has a greater focus on the actual story.

Man on the Moon is a biographical movie on the life of Andy Kaufman, and Carey does a brilliant job of playing the character. Especially good if you don't know a lot about Kaufman.

If you ever want to give Carey another try I'd suggest those two movies and I'd be super surprised if you didn't enjoy them.

Some thoughts on comedies:

Great Comedies:

Life of Brian
Holy Grail
Fish Called Wanda
All 3 Austin Powers movies
Anchorman
Zoolander 1
Spinal Tap
The Jerk
Trading Places
The Blues Bros
The Odd Couple (1968 version)
Best In Show
Office Space
School of Rock
Wayne's World

And of course ANYTHING from the Marx Bros.

I love comedies, my fave genre of movies by far.

Terrible Comedies:

Anything with Sacha Baron Cohen in it, not even slightly amusing.
Anything from Woody Allen.
The Hangover movies were good.
I do like SBC movies but god I'm cringing sometimes. His movie Grimsby for mine is one of the funniest ever. It's 100% scripted, unlike most of his others.
The Nice Guys is an overlooked one
The Other Guys
The Waterboy
Hot Fuzz
Tropic Thunder was awesome but I stopped watching it after an hour when I watched it the first time.
Deadpool
Deadpool 2, the X-Force scene was bloody hilarious
Team America
The Castle
Something about Mary - can't believe I forgot that!

And probably a hundred others

This one is a good laugh for the fans of Bill Burr and if you think the PC world has gone too far..

Latest posts

Back