• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Lewis Dodd

I mean, sure. But the fact he’s played half his entire career to date (bar an off season and a few games here and there at 9, mostly off the bench) doesn’t just evaporate.

This isn’t a Damien Cook situation, where yes he played other positions coming through, but had fully transitioned to hooker (with quality first grade appearances in the position by the time he got here).

This is a guy who has played a minuscule amount of 9 to date. Yes, our staff have said they think there’s an NRL 9 there. That’s still purely a theory at this stage though.

Meaning sure, go in with a plan, but his skillset and experience are part of his kit bag that you’ll leverage as you need to as the season progresses.

Anybody speaking with any authority on the 7 and 9 for this side beyond the opening months of the season has a lot more faith than I do. There are massive question marks there. Plenty of options. But questions still.
He therefore would make an ideal 14, given he can cover 6, 7,and 9, along with centre or FB at a pinch. Then so would Ilias, if you select Dodds and Gray over him.

I’m still scratching my head as why we signed a left sided half when we still have Cody and Wayne has already started talking about extending him.

I’m really struggling to see any real plan to our recruitment (probably because there isn’t one)

We are looking more like an Oztag team than a contending NRL side

I’m still scratching my head as why we signed a left sided half when we still have Cody and Wayne has already started talking about extending him.

I’m really struggling to see any real plan to our recruitment (probably because there isn’t one)

Is strange isn't it. We're all assuming Wayne OKd Dodd, but maybe he didn't. Unlikely, but possible...who knows...not me.

I dont think the left or right foot came into the decision. Its probably more because we got sick of kicking out on the full, kicking grubbers into our opponents legs, giving away 7 tackle sets, conceding too much field position and in general, lacking an effective last play kicking option. At this point if Dodd is left or right foot I don't care if we can have an effective kicking game come 2025.

I mean, sure. But the fact he’s played half his entire career to date (bar an off season and a few games here and there at 9, mostly off the bench) doesn’t just evaporate.

This isn’t a Damien Cook situation, where yes he played other positions coming through, but had fully transitioned to hooker (with quality first grade appearances in the position by the time he got here).

This is a guy who has played a minuscule amount of 9 to date. Yes, our staff have said they think there’s an NRL 9 there. That’s still purely a theory at this stage though.

Meaning sure, go in with a plan, but his skillset and experience are part of his kit bag that you’ll leverage as you need to as the season progresses.

Anybody speaking with any authority on the 7 and 9 for this side beyond the opening months of the season has a lot more faith than I do. There are massive question marks there. Plenty of options. But questions still.
Humphreys was a 7, but during the last offseason for Manly Seibold transitioned him into a 9. Siebold probably saw his skill set and decided he was a better 9. I don't know for sure but some coaches think outside the box and some don't. Ben Hunt was tried at 9 and is arguably better there than at 7. The Parra coach should have tried Beven French at 6 before flicking him to Wigan. I think that Milne should have been tried at back row instead of wing.

Too much gets made of this left & right side stuff, people talk about it like it’s set in stone & a player is one or the other & csnt play either side of the ruck
Who’s to say what Dodd can do? Who’s to say what Humphries can do? Walker is the kind of player with skills to play either side

Too much gets made of this left & right side stuff, people talk about it like it’s set in stone & a player is one or the other & csnt play either side of the ruck
Who’s to say what Dodd can do? Who’s to say what Humphries can do? Walker is the kind of player with skills to play either side
You obviously didn’t notice Cody’s form and try assists decline when he got moved to the right

When your chief playmaker, is a left side, right to left passer you don’t move them to the right

Sure he can float over there on occasion, but having him parked over there stifled both Cody and our attack

You obviously didn’t notice Cody’s form and try assists decline when he got moved to the right

When your chief playmaker, is a left side, right to left passer you don’t move them to the right

Sure he can float over there on occasion, but having him parked over there stifled both Cody and our attack
I think you are correct with Cody and he will be 100% on the left inside Jack, Arrow/Shuster and Latrell, every game. Regardless of injury or form of the 7 I can't see Wayne moving Cody or Jack from the left. On your point of weather Cody can be as effective on the right it is hard to gauge because we didn't have much bite or consistancy in our attack when he played 7. Also as it was a stop gap measure he didn't have an offseason to practice or create combinations on the right. I think he would be effective on both sides but better on the Left.
With Dodd it may not make that much difference to him if he is on the right after a full offseason.

Last edited:

You’re spending ~$600k and banking your season on a guy that either has to play on the side of the field that your current star half does, or has to shift to the other side (where for all we know, his passing, step, and kicking could be diminished).

It’s not that you can’t gamble with this stuff, but at that price, it would be nice to have a little more certainty.

Say you don’t buy into side of the field stuff all you want. The proof is in the number of players who struggle on their non favoured side. Especially for an organising half who may have a stronger pass one side (considering he’s played his whole career over there), a running half (who’ll have a preferred foot to step off), or a kicking half, who needs to kick across their body.

I agree, sitting on the couch, it doesn’t bother me. But it does some players.

And perhaps Dodd will play right and not miss a beat. Or perhaps Cody will play right and everything will work out.

But there’s no existing proof point for that. It’s a punt. And a punt our season largely rides on.

You’re spending ~$600k and banking your season on a guy that either has to play on the side of the field that your current star half does, or has to shift to the other side (where for all we know, his passing, step, and kicking could be diminished).

It’s not that you can’t gamble with this stuff, but at that price, it would be nice to have a little more certainty.

Say you don’t buy into side of the field stuff all you want. The proof is in the number of players who struggle on their non favoured side. Especially for an organising half who may have a stronger pass one side (considering he’s played his whole career over there), a running half (who’ll have a preferred foot to step off), or a kicking half, who needs to kick across their body.

And perhaps Dodd will play right and not miss a beat. Or perhaps Cody will play right and everything will work out.

But there’s no existing proof point for that. It’s a punt. And a punt our season largely rides on.
Everything you mention in your post, as discouraging as it is, is still a better option than watching our last play kick go out on the full or sail over the dead ball line.

Weird signing and i don't think Bennett had anything to do with it.

Wanting to extend cody for another 2 more seasons is a head scratcher.

I would wait and see how he performs next season before even entertaining the idea of re-signing him.

Weird signing and i don't think Bennett had anything to do with it.
JD was sacked on May 1st. Lewis Dodd was signed on May 5th. My guess is that a rep of the board spoke with Dodd well before Wayne learnt of it. I am also guessing that a rep from the board spoke with Wayne before JD was sacked. What is not a guess is that JD was sacked 4 days before Dodd was signed. I think Wayne knew about it.
But does it really matter?

Everything you mention in your post, as discouraging as it is, is still a better option than watching our last play kick go out on the full or sail over the dead ball line.

Oh yeah, I agree.

Having another option with some pedigree puts us in a better position than this year.

It’s Hawkins for Dodd. That’s an improvement.

But you’ve paid a premium to achieve that roster improvement.

Like you say, you have to do something, but it makes you wonder, was it legitimately Dodd or bust (given on the surface, it doesn’t make a lot of sense)?

Hopefully he fits in really well and makes the position his own for the next 3 years. But that’s far from a guarantee, because on top of asking a young guy to transition competitions and take charge of a team full of superstars, you’re also asking either he or Cody to play in a different part on the field.

And if it doesn’t go well, it’s your problem for 3 years.

I would be a lot more comfortable if he had a standout base skillset (like when you watch Gray with his running, or Sam Walker early on with his passing and 1% stuff).

As is, he’s a solid sort of half (playing in an inferior competition), so there aren’t a lot of clues as to how successful it’ll be till he gets here.

I will say though, there are players who get a lot of mileage out of just support play. So maybe that becomes Dodd’s fallback in the NRL. And then yeah, hopefully his short kicking plays enough to keep the pressure off him.

At the end of the day, the side of the field thing is just another little wrinkle in what is already a difficult assignment.

Last edited:
I dont think the left or right foot came into the decision. Its probably more because we got sick of kicking out on the full, kicking grubbers into our opponents legs, giving away 7 tackle sets, conceding too much field position and in general, lacking an effective last play kicking option. At this point if Dodd is left or right foot I don't care if we can have an effective kicking game come 2025.
While on the subject of kicking ... I have 2 issues for 25...
1. Who is our goalkicker? Trell 72% this year...we need better than that especially in the close games where it is crucial.
2. Now that Graham is back, he was our best jumper for our short dropours in attack an defence. I think he is right up there with best.....BUT ... with dropouts from our line, we really need to make better use of his arial skills and Trell has proved marginal at this task at best ... so either he puts in a lot more practice (which doesn't appear to be the case from what I have witnessed) or can we please please get someone else???? Some of his efforts were so painful to watch...

For a team that relies so heavily on its attack (unfortunately we've had to), we can't go far in 25 as 'One Show Ponies'...pre-season will have to be pretty intense. Easy to just assume WB will sort it out but he does have some fundamentals working against him there.

Latest posts

Back