• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Lewis Dodd

No idea until he plays NRL

ESL is poor, you go there to carve up if you're an average NRL player or to finish your career

You sign blokes from there based on skills and hope it translates to the NRL once you get them physically ready

Fun thought experiment, where does Dodd rank amongst NRL halves at other clubs in 2025?

We went into this season with a bottom four half. Is it much better in 2025?

And to be clear, this is just a bit of fun discussion, don’t get your noses out of joint. It’s not an attack on Lewis.

NRL’s 7’s 2025:

Hughes, Cleary, Hynes, Cherry Evans, Katoa, Fogarty, Hunt, Reynolds, Foran, Moses, Luai, Walker, Sexton, whoever the Knights get to play 7, whoever the Cowboys get to play 7, whoever the Warriros get to play 7.

As someone who hasn’t seen much of Dodd, I’m genuinely interested to hear where people think he’ll slide into those rankings. Who’ll be behind him?
Hard to rank someone that has yet to play NRL. I have to admit I have only seen highlight packages of him. So I wouldn’t be even able to guess.

I think the best comparison is to compare him to George Williams who has shown that he is decent enough over here.

Hastings a man of steel and struggling to hold his spot at Tigers and Knights is probably the inverse of that.

Croft the 2022 recipient.

Keen to see how he goes though. It’s not like there are heaps of alternatives.

I guess what my question highlights is how ‘in order’ 3/4’s of the comp are when it comes to their 7. It’s a competitive list!

Hastings a man of steel and struggling to hold his spot at Tigers and Knights is probably the inverse of that.

Croft the 2022 recipient.

Keen to see how he goes though. It’s not like there are heaps of alternatives.

I guess what my question highlights is how ‘in order’ 3/4’s of the comp are when it comes to their 7. It’s a competitive list!
I think if you want to compare, you compare him with the 'lesser' half of each main pairing. 7 or 6, Cody is our main man and the one you compare to Cleary, Hughes, Reynolds, DCE, etc. Dodd is the one you compare to Schneider, Gamble, Nikorima, etc

I think if you want to compare, you compare him with the 'lesser' half of each main pairing. 7 or 6, Cody is our main man and the one you compare to Cleary, Hughes, Reynolds, DCE, etc. Dodd is the one you compare to Schneider, Gamble, Nikorima, etc
Hmmm, I get what you’re saying.

But they are different roles.

No doubt we excel in the 5/8 spot.

But it’s not like Cody can do what a 7 does.

So yes, you rate the pair, but there are legit functions a 7 carries out and they’re important to tick off.

Fun thought experiment, where does Dodd rank amongst NRL halves at other clubs in 2025?

We went into this season with a bottom four half. Is it much better in 2025?

And to be clear, this is just a bit of fun discussion, don’t get your noses out of joint. It’s not an attack on Lewis.

NRL’s 7’s 2025:

Hughes, Cleary, Hynes, Cherry Evans, Katoa, Fogarty, Hunt, Reynolds, Foran, Moses, Luai, Walker, Sexton, whoever the Knights get to play 7, whoever the Cowboys get to play 7, whoever the Warriros get to play 7.

As someone who hasn’t seen much of Dodd, I’m genuinely interested to hear where people think he’ll slide into those rankings. Who’ll be behind him?

Impossible to tell, he is an unknown quantity at this stage.

Maybe I’ll rephrase. Come the end of the season, where would you hope/expect Dodd to rank?

Do people assume he has a ceiling of a mid table kind of purchase? Top 8 in that positon? Solid foil for the team but bottom 4 when marked against his peers?

I would like to see Dodd after round 10 to answer where will he rank among the halves. But from what I have seen Dodd has the skills to make it in the NRL, weather or not he can time will tell. However we will find out in the early rounds what he can bring to the team. I am tipping we see a good kicking game. In Dodds favour is that he will slot into a top side, will play behind good forwards and will have an offseason under the best coach. My opinion is that he is an exciting prospect.

Hmmm, I get what you’re saying.

But they are different roles.

No doubt we excel in the 5/8 spot.

But it’s not like Cody can do what a 7 does.

So yes, you rate the pair, but there are legit functions a 7 carries out and they’re important to tick off.

We won't know for sure until he plays mate.

hastings sucks at NRL but goes well at superleague.
He is more suited in that style

Maybe the NRL style of footy suits Dodds style more.

Time will tell.

Bennett will work it out.

Maybe I’ll rephrase. Come the end of the season, where would you hope/expect Dodd to rank?

Do people assume he has a ceiling of a mid table kind of purchase? Top 8 in that positon? Solid foil for the team but bottom 4 when marked against his peers?

I've seen quite a bit of him now online.

I think he shows enough to suggest he will be ranked above mid range/average.
He's obviously not as good but his overall style reminds me of Cleary.

If he can settle in, adapt to Sydney and stay fit I think he can compete with NRL halfbacks.
Then of course there is the Bennett factor, I doubt he would even be heading over here if Bennett wasn't sure he could get him where he needs to be.

I've seen quite a bit of him now online.

I think he shows enough to suggest he will be ranked above mid range/average.
He's obviously not as good but his overall style reminds me of Cleary.

If he can settle in, adapt to Sydney and stay fit I think he can compete with NRL halfbacks.
Then of course there is the Bennett factor, I doubt he would even be heading over here if Bennett wasn't sure he could get him where he needs to be.
Look what WB has done with Katoa...?

Exactly. Was discussing this with a work mate yesterday.

Bellamy and Bennett are untouched as far as being able to get the most out of players, and sometimes very average players.
Yeah, I mentioned in another thread. Last time here Wayne Bennett had Corey Allan playing Origin, Blake Taaffe and Jaxson Paulo in a GF, Liam Knight and Bailey Sironen playing very well... pretty much all those players are barely sighted in the NRL these days.

Wayne will get the best out of what he's got, and if it's still not good enough, he won't be shy on making the tough calls.

Yeah, I mentioned in another thread. Last time here Wayne Bennett had Corey Allan playing Origin, Blake Taaffe and Jaxson Paulo in a GF, Liam Knight and Bailey Sironen playing very well... pretty much all those players are barely sighted in the NRL these days.

Wayne will get the best out of what he's got, and if it's still not good enough, he won't be shy on making the tough calls.
You can only get so much juice out of a lemon.

Taaffe and Paulo let Wayne down in the big dance, we don’t want the same shit reoccurring

It’s time to get serious about R&R again and clean out JDs cutter’s crew and love children.

Does anyone seriously think or have faith that Mamo could deliver what Api did in a GF.

Buy some quality kids with upside. I’m still of the strong belief we should of signed Sanders as our back up halves option and I won’t get started on wingers again

Latest posts

Back