• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Lewis Dodd

You can only get so much juice out of a lemon.

Taaffe and Paulo let Wayne down in the big dance, we don’t want the same shit reoccurring

It’s time to get serious about R&R again and clean out JDs cutter’s crew and love children.

Does anyone seriously think or have faith that Mamo could deliver what Api did in a GF.

Buy some quality kids with upside. I’m still of the strong belief we should of signed Sanders as our back up halves option and I won’t get started on wingers again
This is a conversation about Lewis Dodd, is it not...

Taaffe and Paulo let Wayne down in the big dance, we don’t want the same shit reoccurring

It’s time to get serious about R&R again and clean out JDs cutter’s crew and love children.

Does anyone seriously think or have faith that Mamo could deliver what Api did in a GF.

Buy some quality kids with upside. I’m still of the strong belief we should of signed Sanders as our back up halves option and I won’t get started on wingers again

Sanders is signed to the raiders.

This is a conversation about Lewis Dodd, is it not...
I’m well aware, but I was replying to your post where you didn’t mention Lewis Dodd but players like Taaffe Paulo, Knight and so on.

We can’t rely on Wayne to do all the heavy lifting. How about we start by just giving him quality to begin with and if Lewis Dodd isn’t up to it, a young organising half with a strong kicking game (like Sanders) would of been an excellent lower tier cap backup option

Sanders is an interesting one considering he went somewhere to be behind Fogarty.

While we have an untested 7 and a (as yet) failed one.

But I think the Raiders lured him with his NSW rep mates and some Ricky magic.

They’ve been on a bit of a losing streak but had a couple of forwards back from injury which helped them get on the front foot. Just shows how important it is for a halfback to have a dominant forward pack

I think Dodd will be great for us. We haven’t had a half that’s a running threat like him in a very long time. He’s got most of the attributes of a good 7 but the thing I’m very excited about is that he’s always backing up and never just dies on a play.
We generally have at least half a dozen opportunities per game where an offload could be made but no one is there. He’ll definitely fill that gap. He’s always sniffing around. Plus, he’s fast… We need pace. Everywhere. The more speed we can inject into the team at every position, the better.

Scored a double at five eighth in a big 40-point win over Hull FC this morning. There may be hope yet!
For context, Hull FC are coming second last with 3 wins for the year.

Interesting he’s lining up at 5/8, I wonder if he’s switched side of the field per chance? Would be good for us if he got some reps on the right.

Scratch that idea, he played 7. Mbye at 6.

Last edited:
Just watched the replay (it’s on Kayo for those interested), not much doing for Dodd and nothing there to suggest renewed confidence or a form reversal other that what looks like a good score sheet.

His 2 tries were backing up other people’s breaks which he wasn’t involved in. Was good in support though, seems to be a strength in his game.

No running to speak of bar one jink and step. Didn’t make a break but was the only time he looked dynamic with the ball in hand.

Didn’t really do any of the creative stuff with ball in hand passing.

Short kicking was solid.

Long kicking was a bit of a non event. Not sure if it’s an English tactic but quit a few lollipop bombs from his 40 to the opposition 30 which were relatively ineffective.

Robertson the fullback was the standout. Really exciting player. Has some Kalyn Ponga about the way he moves. Can understand why Dodd was dropped originally to attempt to squeeze Robertson, Welsby and Lomax all in the spine. Clarke and Burns, their hookers, created most of the other points and scoring opportunities. Would be interested if anyone has sounded out Burns. Has a touch of Brandon Smith about him. Nuggety runner of the ball.

Only one game, but on that showing, personally, I would be planning to keep Wighton and Walker (or Mitchell and Walker if you need Wighton to play centre) in the halves next year (especially when you consider Walker will likely need to stay on the right anyway as the non dominant kicker - I’d assume Dodd gets to play left to support his boot?). And I wouldn’t be ruling Ilias or Humphreys out of the halfback race. They’ll be in the running if he can’t muster a more dynamic performance than today.

May have just been the type of game mind you. St Helens on a losing streak coming up against a cellar dweller. Was a game high on running. He might be more suited to an arm wrestle where he gets more last tackle opportunities. Ala Reynolds when he was here.

Last edited:
Just watched the replay (it’s on Kayo for those interested), not much doing for Dodd and nothing there to suggest renewed confidence or a form reversal other that what looks like a good score sheet.

His 2 tries were backing up other people’s breaks which he wasn’t involved in. Was good in support though, seems to be a strength in his game.

No running to speak of bar one jink and step. Didn’t make a break but was the only time he looked dynamic with the ball in hand.

Didn’t really do any of the creative stuff with ball in hand passing.

Short kicking was solid.

Long kicking was a bit of a non event. Not sure if it’s an English tactic but quit a few lollipop bombs from his 40 to the opposition 30 which were relatively ineffective.

Robertson the fullback was the standout. Really exciting player. Has some Kalyn Ponga about the way he moves. Can understand why Dodd was dropped originally to attempt to squeeze Robertson, Welsby and Lomax all in the spine. Clarke and Burns, their hookers, created most of the other points and scoring opportunities. Would be interested if anyone has sounded out Burns. Has a touch of Brandon Smith about him. Nuggety runner of the ball.

Only one game, but on that showing, personally, I would be planning to keep Wighton and Walker (or Mitchell and Walker if you need Wighton to play centre) in the halves next year (especially when you consider Walker will likely need to stay on the right anyway as the non dominant kicker - I’d assume Dodd gets to play left to support his boot?). And I wouldn’t be ruling Ilias or Humphreys out of the halfback race. They’ll be in the running if he can’t muster a more dynamic performance than today.

May have just been the type of game mind you. St Helens on a losing streak coming up against a cellar dweller. Was a game high on running. He might be more suited to an arm wrestle where he gets more last tackle opportunities. Ala Reynolds when he was here.
I will watch the replay later, fell asleep as soon as it started, but did see the random Souths Guy in the crowd.
So from your description, when we make a GF and in the closing minutes, if Murray makes a break while we are 2 points behind, he will have someone to pass to. Sometimes, these 1% like backing up and being in the right place at the right time can swing a game.

I will watch the replay later, fell asleep as soon as it started, but did see the random Souths Guy in the crowd.
So from your description, when we make a GF and in the closing minutes, if Murray makes a break while we are 2 points behind, he will have someone to pass to. Sometimes, these 1% like backing up and being in the right place at the right time can swing a game.
Yep. I’ll give him that. He lights up around an opportunity. Springs to life.

Maloney was always good at that.

It was a bit of a dud game, I scrubbed through St Helens defensive sets and concentrated on when they had the ball.

Latest posts

Back