• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Lets have it.. who is the next coach?

I’m even impressed by the improvement of the NSW Cup team from week 1 to week 3. Let alone first half to last half of last year.

He also has t spent that much time in the Souths first grade system has he? Only getting elevated to the top squad this off season?

Hornby is part of the existing cultural/messaging problem. Even as a caretaker.

But there is a huge difference coaching reserve graders and first graders.

What bunny boy is saying is how would Joe handle the big personalties at the club?

How would he handle Trell, Cody and Cook?

If he takes over and those personalties are still calling the shots or keeping their positions then not much will change.

JD can't seem to handle them. We know that for sure.

Watch the knights last season

OBrien tried to make ponga a five-eighth and they struggled.

It was obvious it was a bad move but he persisted with it for too long, with all the rumblings he was going to be sacked, he decided to move Ponga back to fullback.

Ponga went from strength to strength and was able to win the dally M medal because it turned the knights around.

He was winning them games.

It's similar to when Inglis was moved to fullback, that one selection change alone turned us into a top 4 team.

Ponga saved Obrien's coaching career at the Knights, if Ponga didn't perform as good as he did when he finally went back to fullback, Knights miss the finals and Obrien isn't at the knights.
So he was the one who decided to move Ponga back to fullback?

Funnily how he moved him after 7 rounds. The first 4 games at fullback they won 1 and lost 3. Whilst Ponga was a standout there were other things that happened. Hastings had his best season. He got the best out of Bradman Best and others as well.

To think Ponga was doing this all himself is being ignorant.

So he was the one who decided to move Ponga back to fullback?

Funnily how he moved him after 7 rounds. The first 4 games at fullback they won 1 and lost 3. Whilst Ponga was a standout there were other things that happened. Hastings had his best season. He got the best out of Bradman Best and others as well.

To think Ponga was doing this all himself is being ignorant.

He only moved him cos he had a knife to his throat and it was about to be slashed.

If Ponga stays in the halves he was gone.

Even by making the move, the was no guarantee ponga would have played so good, so good that he caught up to all the people in front of him on the dally m ladder to beat them and win it.

That's how strong his influence was on the field, it made players around him better.

It's ignorant not to think some players have that ability to make those around them better and Ponga did that.

If you want to point out they lost 3 games while he was at fullback, paint the full picture of it and who they played against

Lost against Broncos, Roosters and Penrith:

All 3 games were tight losses, penrith and broncos the best two teams in the comp last year.

Broncos game was 24 to 20, both teams score 4 tries, they lost on goal kicking.

Lost to roosters 18 to 16, again 3 tries each, lost on goal kicking.

20 to 12 against Penrith, no shame in that loss.

Hastings was goal kicking all those 3 games.

Ponga took over the goal kicking and next game kicks 11 out of 11 goals.

He scored a try against both penrith and broncos.

Then went on a 10 game winning streak after that period.

I don't rate Obrien, if you do that is cool, if you think it was his coaching that is cool too.

He only moved him cos he had a knife to his throat and it was about to be slashed.

If Ponga stays in the halves he was gone.

Even by making the move, the was no guarantee ponga would have played so good, so good that he caught up to all the people in front of him on the dally m ladder to beat them and win it.

That's how strong his influence was on the field, it made players around him better.

It's ignorant not to think some players have that ability to make those around them better and Ponga did that.

If you want to point out they lost 3 games while he was at fullback, paint the full picture of it and who they played against

Lost against Broncos, Roosters and Penrith:

All 3 games were tight losses, penrith and broncos the best two teams in the comp last year.

Broncos game was 24 to 20, both teams score 4 tries, they lost on goal kicking.

Lost to roosters 18 to 16, again 3 tries each, lost on goal kicking.

20 to 12 against Penrith, no shame in that loss.

Hastings was goal kicking all those 3 games.

Ponga took over the goal kicking and next game kicks 11 out of 11 goals.

He scored a try against both penrith and broncos.

Then went on a 10 game winning streak after that period.

I don't rate Obrien, if you do that is cool, if you think it was his coaching that is cool too.
So a coach rights his wrongs and he has nothing to do with it?

The coach has a job to get the best out of his players. He was able to flick a switch with Ponga. He was able to get others around him firing as well.

I wouldn’t be using the Roosters as an example. Especially from that point last year.

Funny how you try and put words into my mouth. Nowhere did I ever say I rate him. But at least I can acknowledge that he played a part in getting them to turn their season around.

But there is a huge difference coaching reserve graders and first graders.

What bunny boy is saying is how would Joe handle the big personalties at the club?

How would he handle Trell, Cody and Cook?

If he takes over and those personalties are still calling the shots or keeping their positions then not much will change.

JD can't seem to handle them. We know that for sure.
I’m not saying make him the coach for next year, I’m saying as a caretaker, I d be interested to see what he can do between head coaches.

If he wasn’t here, I’d be much more concerned about appointing an internal caretaker, as I dont really fancy Hornby. Based on very little mind you.

So a coach rights his wrongs and he has nothing to do with it?

The coach has a job to get the best out of his players. He was able to flick a switch with Ponga. He was able to get others around him firing as well.

I wouldn’t be using the Roosters as an example. Especially from that point last year.

Funny how you try and put words into my mouth. Nowhere did I ever say I rate him. But at least I can acknowledge that he played a part in getting them to turn their season around.

You're saying it's his coaching, you saying it was him that made players perform better.

Yet the same players were performing shit when Ponga was playing out of position.

So moving your star player back to a position he should have been playing in from the start makes him a good coach?

It saved his career doing it, but he still a poor coach and there was still no guarantee ponga performs like he did making that change as ponga can be rocks or diamonds at times but he was in peak form and when he is knights are hard to beat and they had a decent draw in that run as well.

So in a nutshell, the only good thing he did was move Ponga back to fullback and then he probs prayed for the best.

Ponga saved Obrien's coaching career.

What about for the rest of the year a tough old school coach like Mick Potter who wouldn’t take bullshit and keep some of the egos in check.

I would love Madge back. He has great passion and a hard working tough approach, no nonsense but also be a man of integrity.

He loves Souths and would be able to handle the immature senior players.

We need a hard nosed, never say die work ethic.

Madge is the man and he is greatly respected.

He would put our out of control no 1 and 6 back in their place.

Mighty Cam needs support from a strong Coach.

JD is a very weak leader and in denial.

You're saying it's his coaching, you saying it was him that made players perform better.

Yet the same players were performing shit when Ponga was playing out of position.

So moving your star player back to a position he should have been playing in from the start makes him a good coach?

It saved his career doing it, but he still a poor coach and there was still no guarantee ponga performs like he did making that change as ponga can be rocks or diamonds at times but he was in peak form and when he is knights are hard to beat and they had a decent draw in that run as well.

So in a nutshell, the only good thing he did was move Ponga back to fullback and then he probs prayed for the best.

Ponga saved Obrien's coaching career.
Can you actually read and comprehend what was said or you just want to argue for the sake of it. You have a knack of putting things people say and twist it.

Can you comprehend what “played a part” actually means?

O’Brien made the decision to move Ponga back. He tried something and after 6 rounds moved him back. It was his decision to do that. So his decision to do that ended up saving his career.

if not Madge then get Wayne for 2 years and then baton pass to Sammy
I would love Madge back. He has great passion and a hard working tough approach, no nonsense but also be a man of integrity.

He loves Souths and would be able to handle the immature senior players.

We need a hard nosed, never say die work ethic.

Madge is the man and he is greatly respected.

He would put our out of control no 1 and 6 back in their place.

Mighty Cam needs support from a strong Coach.

JD is a very weak leader and in denial.

Think 2015-17….
You are either too young or have a short memory….
Madge was bereft of ideas and had no Plan B.
I think you are looking through rose coloured glasses.

No thanks….

Think 2015-17….
You are either too young or have a short memory….
Madge was bereft of ideas and had no Plan B.
I think you are looking through rose coloured glasses.

No thanks….

Exactly. He was the same at wests as well.
One trick pony and those pushing his barrow think a coach needs to rant and rave and be ”tough”😜

The defense will be ok when we stop making 17 errors a game

The rorters defense wasnt much better than ours.

Back