• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Lets have it.. who is the next coach?

If the coach couldn’t get the team fired up for a game against the Roosters and Cam’s 150th what hope is there?

Not sure what you mean by “fired up”. From what I saw out there at the ground is that the boys were trying, they did care but the bloooooody errors killed us.
Even Cam contributed to that

Not sure what you mean by “fired up”. From what I saw out there at the ground is that the boys were trying, they did care but the bloooooody errors killed us.
But why do we keep making so many errors, week after work without it being fixed?

Why is our defense so passive?
Why do we have virtually no line speed?
Why cant we defend our line and hold teams to less than 16 points per game?

Those are all coaching issues...

But why do we keep making so many errors, week after work without it being fixed?

Why is our defense so passive?
Why do we have virtually no line speed?
Why cant we defend our line and hold teams to less than 16 points per game?

Those are all coaching issues...

I agree with some of that. Our line speed is poor. Especially through the middle. The rorters kept turning the ball back inside all night long for that reason. All of our boys, including Cam, just plant their feet and stand there. There’s no push up. I can only think it’s a “hold one line” mentality but it doesn’t work

Dont think the errors are coachable. Dropping the ball when tackled is not on the coach and that’s killing us.
every set in the first half were finished with dumb mistakes that were on the individuals

O'Brien didn't turn things around, Ponga did.

Saved Obriens coaching career
So you’re saying his best player is the one who saved him. The one that was playing poorly under him turned it around. So the coach has nothing to do with it when the players are playing good that it’s the coaches fault when they are playing poorly. Ok.
Defence and attitude in defence is part of the game as well. Early penalty and we concede a try straight away.

Early last year we were making errors but were defending them time and again. It’s what had us all excited about where this team was going.

Now we can’t defend our errors to save ourselves.

Dont think the errors are coachable. Dropping the ball when tackled is not on the coach and that’s killing us.
every set in the first half were finished with dumb mistakes that were on the individuals
Have you watched training?

From what I saw at the backend of last year they’d drop a ball and JD pretends like it didn’t happen

There were consequences under Madge for repeated mistakes, and he didn’t finish training when the timer went off. It stopped when they got things right

Mistakes come down to two things attention to detail and fatigue

We aren’t fit and JD has do attention to detail, guys plant the ball at training so they do it in games

I guarantee you up till last week they would of been getting offside on downtown plays as well

Here’s a thought how about the team leave their wives, kids and f$&@ken dogs at home and focus on just football at training

Take down all those cringe bullshit posters around Heffron like ‘ we front load our energy and ban them basketball and anything else that isn’t RL related

It’s time to stop pampering these c$&ts and put the fear of God in them

And maybe training should be longer so the boys aren’t all out in the surf at 1pm

As I bet Penrith aren’t down at Pondi at 1

Yes I have watched training and you say you haven’t but still project your thoughts💡💡💡

Firstly you don’t know what kind of coach Joe is. He showed something last year when he was able to turn the season completely around. Not saying that would translate to first grade, but we don’t know how the players would respond to him and if he would be the one to give them home truths.

The issue right now is the person that will take over from JD will be an interim. You can’t get the coach you want halfway through the season. It just doesn’t happen. Usually happens from within. That really only leaves Joe or Ben Hornby.

Most times coaches are sacked halfway through the year before they are sacked. Asking someone to see us through for the majority of the season will be hard.

Right now who stands out for you that is available to take us through to the end of the season?

Youre right re Joe. I have no idea how he would manage it.

But purely based on "lack of reputation", I feel as if this poisonous playing group would chew him up and spit him out.

I think if we need an interim replacement, you give it to Hornby. But even then im not confident in how things will transpire.

Then we go and get best in class for 2025 if we are a fair dinkum, results driven football club.

I would throw heaven & earth at Billy Slater. Literally, heaven & earth.

Convince him that Souths need him, and he needs Souths to take his legacy to levels nobody could dream of.

Youre right re Joe. I have no idea how he would manage it.

But purely based on "lack of reputation", I feel as if this poisonous playing group would chew him up and spit him out.
There is something about him that made the NSW Cup boys turn things around.
I think if we need an interim replacement, you give it to Hornby. But even then im not confident in how things will transpire.
Hornby would be the logical choice.
Then we go and get best in class for 2025 if we are a fair dinkum, results driven football club.
This is something I am wanting. This is where I want us to be ruthless. Doesn’t mean we will get what we want. But need to try.
I would throw heaven & earth at Billy Slater. Literally, heaven & earth.

Convince him that Souths need him, and he needs Souths to take his legacy to levels nobody could dream of.
He is an unknown. Doing it at Origin level is one thing. He could end up being that guy though. But it comes with risks.

I’ve stated a few times that I would be looking at Bellamy. The thing is both these suggestions really do seem like an unlikely option. But doesn’t hurt to try.

Bennett does seem the realistic and probably laziest option. The biggest issue how do we go when he moves on again?

There is something about him that made the NSW Cup boys turn things around.

Hornby would be the logical choice.

This is something I am wanting. This is where I want us to be ruthless. Doesn’t mean we will get what we want. But need to try.

He is an unknown. Doing it at Origin level is one thing. He could end up being that guy though. But it comes with risks.

I’ve stated a few times that I would be looking at Bellamy. The thing is both these suggestions really do seem like an unlikely option. But doesn’t hurt to try.

Bennett does seem the realistic and probably laziest option. The biggest issue how do we go when he moves on again?

Mate I could be wrong about Slater, but I just have this feeling.

The way he goes about origin. His demeanour. His choices. The way he communicates. His standing in the game. His aura.

He is everything I want in a SSFC coach.

Bellamy is great, and I wouldnt be adverse to it. But is it long term? Can he work without the Storm management system?

And totally agree re Bennett. I dont think he is the right choice or the right fit.

I’m even impressed by the improvement of the NSW Cup team from week 1 to week 3. Let alone first half to last half of last year.

He also has t spent that much time in the Souths first grade system has he? Only getting elevated to the top squad this off season?

Hornby is part of the existing cultural/messaging problem. Even as a caretaker.

So you’re saying his best player is the one who saved him. The one that was playing poorly under him turned it around. So the coach has nothing to do with it when the players are playing good that it’s the coaches fault when they are playing poorly. Ok.

Defence and attitude in defence is part of the game as well. Early penalty and we concede a try straight away.

Early last year we were making errors but were defending them time and again. It’s what had us all excited about where this team was going.

Now we can’t defend our errors to save ourselves.
Watch the knights last season

OBrien tried to make ponga a five-eighth and they struggled.

It was obvious it was a bad move but he persisted with it for too long, with all the rumblings he was going to be sacked, he decided to move Ponga back to fullback.

Ponga went from strength to strength and was able to win the dally M medal because it turned the knights around.

He was winning them games.

It's similar to when Inglis was moved to fullback, that one selection change alone turned us into a top 4 team.

Ponga saved Obrien's coaching career at the Knights, if Ponga didn't perform as good as he did when he finally went back to fullback, Knights miss the finals and Obrien isn't at the knights.

Back