• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Lets have it.. who is the next coach?

Bully

Grand Master
Reaction score
I like JD. I want him to succeed. I was happy when he was appointed based off his history. He seems like a good guy but there is absolutely 0 chance he can rescue this.

So… who is next? There was a period where Ryles and Ciraldo were the next best things but they are snapped up.

I genuinely can’t think of who the next best rookie coach is touted to be?

I can’t imagine it being anyone experienced and history shows coaches on their 2nd and 3rd clubs generally don’t amount to anything (unless you’re a Bennett or Cleary).

Its clear this group needs a hardass too - our attention to detail for the past few years has been horrific.

The dream would be for the owners to throw everything at Bellamy and hope to get him. The chances of that happening are next to zero though. But unless you try you just never know.

The other option would be getting Bennett back. Left on very good terms and really loved his time at the club.

Outside of that I don’t see any real options that stand out.

Knowing Souths we will employ within. Remember the first choice was Furner when we lost Seibold.

Sam, with Bennett being coaching director.

The dream would be for the owners to throw everything at Bellamy and hope to get him. The chances of that happening are next to zero though. But unless you try you just never know.

The other option would be getting Bennett back. Left on very good terms and really loved his time at the club.

Outside of that I don’t see any real options that stand out.

Knowing Souths we will employ within. Remember the first choice was Furner when we lost Seibold.
Yep my worry is Hornby would get next crack. I’m not a fan of that stuff when he has been here so long. I’m sure he’d have his own ideas and style but also a worry he’d be too used to how things are already done.

Agree re Bellamy. My only worry with Bennett is being back in this position in 2 or 3 years.

Adrian Lam maybe?

It's so easy to say "sack him".

However it becomes so much more problematic when trying to name a replacement.

Unless there is an obvious improvement available, there is no point in sacking the coach.

I don't see JD being ousted before the end of the season for a couple of reasons.

Surely we won't start the season 0-5 and the quality of candidate to replace mid-year is shockingly bad.

We also need a Frank Ponissi, Shane Richardson, Phil Gould, football manager type.

Our management team do an excellent job commercially, but who there knows enough about footy? Ello seems a nice guy but like JD does he have that hard edge?

We also need a Frank Ponissi, Shane Richardson, Phil Gould, football manager type.

Our management team do an excellent job commercially, but who there knows enough about footy? Ello seems a nice guy but like JD does he have that hard edge?
Agree. We complain a lot about recruitment and the style of player we seem to attract from 16s up but ultimately that isnt JD’s decision and whatever our approach & policy is to that stuff would come from Solly, Ello and whoever else.

Maybe we need a change to go from competitive/very competitive to dominant.

Is Madge not a realistic option?

1. Bennett
2. Madge

Hasler and Flanagan would have been in my list, but they were taken this year.

If it’s Madge, you need to pair him with a squad recruitment and retention mentor. He can’t be in charge of that side of things, it simply isn’t his bag.

Talking about signing Bellamy is like taking about signing Andrew Johns out of retirement. It’s fairy land stuff. IF he continues to coach, it’s at Melbourne. Slim chance Brisbane, but even that is far fetched.

Without Richo and whoever else has been involved with the club in the past, Ello is way out of his depth it seems.

Back