• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Latest Rumours

First of all you can't just release players from their contract. You can do what we did with Cook but if they don't want to leave they don't have to. Yes, deadwood should not be resigned. Kenner is gone and I imagine there will be others. Tass is young as a depth is a step up to what we have now.

Contract these days don’t mean s##t. There is only two players who are under contract next year that I think should be moved on. The rest are off contract I believe.

Cook didn’t want to leave

Ilias doesn’t want to leave but has been given permission to talk to other clubs
Mate Cook's contract was running out and he was told he was not going to renewed at the end of next season so if he found a contract we would release. Illias has not found a club yet and according Braith there are no takers yet. If he doesn't find a club he will be with us next season as he has a CONTRACT with us so we just can't dump him. .

Cook could have stayed for the rest of his contract but it was only 1 year 2025. STG offered him 2 years starting 2025. It was his choice between the 2.

Mate Cook's contract was running out and he was told he was not going to renewed at the end of next season so if he found a contract we would release. Illias has not found a club yet and according Braith there are no takers yet. If he doesn't find a club he will be with us next season as he has a CONTRACT with us so we just can't dump him. .

Cook was still contracted to us for next year before he left

Knights are interested In Ilias but he doesn’t want to leave the club

Cook was still contracted to us for next year before he left

Knights are interested In Ilias but he doesn’t want to leave the club
Yep, that is what I said. We released him as he was CONTRACTED to us. If we said no he would be with us next season. And as I said no takers for Illias yet. I think you underestimate what a contract is and the machinations of how they can be re-negotiated as opposed to broken or breached.

Cook could have stayed for the rest of his contract but it was only 1 year 2025. STG offered him 2 years starting 2025. It was his choice between the 2.
I am surprised Cookie didn't stay for a tenth season but I guess he believes he has at least two further seasons and maybe three left in his tank.

As they say....time will tell etc

Meanwhile I hope Cookie plays great as we attempt to win eight from our last ten!

Could have earned other year with his performances
Yes I agree with that. Cook could have backed himself to get an extra year. He is certainly good enough but possibly because he has a young family chose the 2 year guaranteed option.

Yep, that is what I said. We released him as he was CONTRACTED to us. If we said no he would be with us next season. And as I said no takers for Illias yet. I think you underestimate what a contract is and the machinations of how they can be re-negotiated as opposed to broken or breached.

We are just going back and forth here. All I’m saying is that we need to get rid of the dead wood in the squad, there is ways to do it. In my opinion Ilias should not leave instead Host and Havili are the two contracted players that need to be moved on ASAP. Maybe English side might pick them up who knows but they need to go to make the team moved forward.

The others on the list should be

Chee Kam
Kennar
Thompson
Milne
Tass
Te Hau
Hawkins

If we are serious about next year these guys will not be at the club next year.

We are just going back and forth here. All I’m saying is that we need to get rid of the dead wood in the squad,

And when you replace “deadwood”, who are all on minimum or low wage contracts, you can only replace them with players on the same money.

I posted a list of all the available talent when we were deciding to keep or cut our “deadwood” and there were no upgrades on what we had.
As bad as some May 5hink the likes of Kennar are, the alternatives were NOT alternatives

And when you replace “deadwood”, who are all on minimum or low wage contracts, you can only replace them with players on the same money.

I posted a list of all the available talent when we were deciding to keep or cut our “deadwood” and there were no upgrades on what we had.
As bad as some May 5hink the likes of Kennar are, the alternatives were NOT alternatives

They can still be replaced with better suited players for the squad.

It can be fixed by recruiting better and what we need.

But the deadwood needs to go

Last edited:
We are just going back and forth here. All I’m saying is that we need to get rid of the dead wood in the squad, there is ways to do it. In my opinion Ilias should not leave instead Host and Havili are the two contracted players that need to be moved on ASAP. Maybe English side might pick them up who knows but they need to go to make the team moved forward.

The others on the list should be

Chee Kam
Kennar
Thompson
Milne
Tass
Te Hau
Hawkins

If we are serious about next year these guys will not be at the club next year.
Maybe Tass stays?

Latest posts

Back