• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Guitarists (and general musical conversations)!

Does anyone remember the local music shows?

Loved watching GTK, you may not remember this one, Sounds with Donnie Sutherland and of course Countdown with Molly Meldrum.

Loved watching GTK, you may not remember this one, Sounds with Donnie Sutherland and of course Countdown with Molly Meldrum.
GTK was absolutely fantastic. Discovered some great music from that show, Lobby Loyd, Buffalo. Countdown I loved to hate due to it being a bit too commercial and Molly loving everything even if it was shit, but it had some very memorable moments; the Prince Charles interview and Iggy Pop stand out to me. I also remember Fernando being number one for what seemed like years.

Another one was Flashes or Flashez (?) hosted by Mike Mead and someone. They had a lot of great stuff.

GTK was absolutely fantastic. Discovered some great music from that show, Lobby Loyd, Buffalo. Countdown I loved to hate due to it being a bit too commercial and Molly loving everything even if it was shit, but it had some very memorable moments; the Prince Charles interview and Iggy Pop stand out to me. I also remember Fernando being number one for what seemed like years.

Another one was Flashes or Flashez (?) hosted by Mike Mead and someone. They had a lot of great stuff.

GTK were alwys a bit more indie. First saw Doug Parkinson doing Dear Prudence on GTK.

Flashes? That rings suuuuuuch a vague bell.

I know this is a little off the present topic, but I've been listening to these guys for a while now and they are as good a live band that ever walked the earth. Never got to see them, but their live albums tell the story.

It was Ray Burgess and Mike Mead and yes was called Flashez with a Z. Was on at about 5pm weekdays on ABC for half an hour. I would have been about 10yo but remember it, particularly when they played 'Anarchy In The UK' and my young mind was blown! A couple of years ago I saw a couple of episodes when Rage did one of their flashback episodes.

It was Ray Burgess and Mike Mead and yes was called Flashez with a Z. Was on at about 5pm weekdays on ABC for half an hour. I would have been about 10yo but remember it, particularly when they played 'Anarchy In The UK' and my young mind was blown! A couple of years ago I saw a couple of episodes when Rage did one of their flashback episodes.
Thank you, yes Ray Burgess.
I remember when Molly played about 2 seconds of Sex Pistols on Countdown, and said something like we aren't going to play that nasty violent music here. My dad actually tried to ban me from listening to punk which lasted about a week before I had a copy of Never Mind the Bollocks.

Another great show was Rock Around the World on SBS (when it was still known as Channel 0). Ran from approx 1981 to 84. They played stacks of European bands who we never usually heard out here but most importantly, for me, a real lot of underground Australian stuff that shows like Countdown or Sounds would have run screaming from. For that reason, this show was hugely for me and my teenage friends. Hosted by the late Basia Bonkowski.

Back