• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Guitarists (and general musical conversations)!

andyrabbit

Reaction score
I started getting interested in music in the mid 70's, but liked a lot of the music that was from a few years previous. In those days guitarists were the king, or in Clapton's case "gods" (lol). I do play the instrument, although not very well. These days I like a lot of different styles from blues, jazz, rock, punk, reggae, even country if I'm in the mood.

Thought it would be interesting to get people's views on their favourite guitarists. I can't pick an all time favourite as it constantly changes, and there's so many different styles. My first wake up was Ritchie Blackmore from Deep Purple and Jimi Page from Zep, both I still have a soft spot for although my taste has moved on. Others I really liked were Hendrix, Duane Allman, John Mclaughlin, Keith Richards, Jeff Beck, Brian May, Frank Zappa, George Harrison, Johnny Winter, Buddy Guy, Jerry Garcia. The list could be endless but curious what others think? Any more modern players I should take notice of? Feel like I'm stuck in an era sometimes.

I can’t add to your list unfortunately.

I’m stuck in a 60’s/70’s time warp too 😂

Although the guitarist from the Tedeschi Trucks band is pretty good I must say.

And now that I’m reading your list properly 😂, Carlos Santana is a pretty mean guitarist.

I can’t add to your list unfortunately.

I’m stuck in a 60’s/70’s time warp too 😂

Although the guitarist from the Tedeschi Trucks band is pretty good I must say.

And now that I’m reading your list properly 😂, Carlos Santana is a pretty mean guitarist.
Derek Trucks. I was lucky enough to see the Tedeschi Trucks Band at Byron Blues some years ago. Truly amazing and a highlight. He also played with the Allman Bros (being the nephew of their drummer) for a stint.

Yes, the more you think the more amazing guitarists come to mind. Santana was great. Rory Galagher, Robert Fripp, Joe Satriani, JJ Cale, are another few I can think of. Mark Knopfler was never really my thing but was very good too.

I'll add some of the ones I've seen live. Clapton, Santana, SRV and Robert Cray were the best. Blackmore was the fastest . I always remember looking up at the big screen at Deep Purple's concert and seeing blurred hands on his guitar. Others of note were Robbie Blunt of Robert Plants band, The Emmanuel Brothers, Kevin Borich and Ian Moss. There are countless more I've seen but these guys stick out for me.

Derek Trucks. I was lucky enough to see the Tedeschi Trucks Band at Byron Blues some years ago. Truly amazing and a highlight. He also played with the Allman Bros (being the nephew of their drummer) for a stint.

Yes, the more you think the more amazing guitarists come to mind. Santana was great. Rory Galagher, Robert Fripp, Joe Satriani, JJ Cale, are another few I can think of. Mark Knopfler was never really my thing but was very good too.
I saw them at Byron too...we were probably there at the same time, as I think they've only been out once.

Excitingly I'm seeing them again early next year, as they're out for Bluesfest again (but I'm seeing them in Sydney)

Thanks Prowsey, didn't realise they were coming out again. Might have to catch them.

Bundy, the only ones on that list (apart from the Aussies) I've seen are Clapton and Ritchie Blackmore. I was lucky enough to be at a Deep Purple concert in the Eighties where George Harrison came on stage to jam, dressed in white and introduced as Arnold from Liverpool. He was mates with John Lord apparently.

Tommy Emanuel is something else. Don't always enjoy his stuff but he sure is amazing as a guitarist.

Thanks Prowsey, didn't realise they were coming out again. Might have to catch them.

Bundy, the only ones on that list (apart from the Aussies) I've seen are Clapton and Ritchie Blackmore. I was lucky enough to be at a Deep Purple concert in the Eighties where George Harrison came on stage to jam, dressed in white and introduced as Arnold from Liverpool. He was mates with John Lord apparently.

Tommy Emanuel is something else. Don't always enjoy his stuff but he sure is amazing as a guitarist.
Phil was pretty special too and more the electric maestro of the brothers. Saw him up in Cairns once and we sat chatting and drinking into the early hours. A real knock-about bloke . Sorry to say he's no longer with us. I saw Clapton twice and he was incredible. He played effortlessly. I'd rate him better than Stevie Ray and Carlos Santana from my experiences.

I saw the Emmanuel Bros in the Eighties once but don't remember it all that well. Sad that Phil has died and I didn't really follow either, but Tommy keeps popping up on my youtube feed.

I loved Clapton but I liked his earlier music with Cream and the Layla album more than a lot of the later stuff. Apart from Blackmore the best I saw live was probably Johnny Winter.

Back in the 70s Springsteen was hailed a great guitarist. Born to Run and Darkness On the Edge of Town albums showcase it beautifully.
Many fans get carried away with the self indulgent solo and think that jamming riffs and chords in is great. Even while losing the mood & feeling of the song…especially from a lyrical sense.
Springsteen feels the song and it’s reflected in the whole tenure of it.

Anyone who was around in the insipid 70s that had ABBA, disco, James Taylor and co could not have been swept away the first time they heard that great into to Born to Run and taken on the journey of the song 👏👏👏

I started getting interested in music in the mid 70's, but liked a lot of the music that was from a few years previous. In those days guitarists were the king, or in Clapton's case "gods" (lol). I do play the instrument, although not very well. These days I like a lot of different styles from blues, jazz, rock, punk, reggae, even country if I'm in the mood.

Thought it would be interesting to get people's views on their favourite guitarists. I can't pick an all time favourite as it constantly changes, and there's so many different styles. My first wake up was Ritchie Blackmore from Deep Purple and Jimi Page from Zep, both I still have a soft spot for although my taste has moved on. Others I really liked were Hendrix, Duane Allman, John Mclaughlin, Keith Richards, Jeff Beck, Brian May, Frank Zappa, George Harrison, Johnny Winter, Buddy Guy, Jerry Garcia. The list could be endless but curious what others think? Any more modern players I should take notice of? Feel like I'm stuck in an era sometimes.
Would have to start with Robert Johnson - spooky and spellbinding! John Lee Hooker. Hubert Sumlin (Howlin' Wolf). Scotty Moore (Elvis). Luther Perkins (Johnny Cash). Steve Cropper. Mike Bloomfield. Robbie Robertson. Eddie Hazel (Funkadelic). Has anyone mentioned Hendrix?

Paul Kossoff is another often overlooked legendary guitarist. You could also add every lead guitarist that played with Thin Lizzy starting with Eric Bell. If you're looking for a more recent guitarist, I'd suggest Gary Clark jnr. This guy has blues running through his fingers, but also moves with the times.

Last edited:
Would have to start with Robert Johnson - spooky and spellbinding! John Lee Hooker. Hubert Sumlin (Howlin' Wolf). Scotty Moore (Elvis). Luther Perkins (Johnny Cash). Steve Cropper. Mike Bloomfield. Robbie Robertson. Eddie Hazel (Funkadelic). Has anyone mentioned Hendrix?
Great list, I listen to Robert Johnson a bit. I mentioned Hendrix in the first post. I've been a later convert to Funkadelic. Eddie Hazel was great (for pure guitar with soul the track Maggot Brain was incredible); they had a string of good guitarists and fantastic musos. Liked Mike Bloomfield and Robertson (the Band were great!)

Another one I just thought of; Paul Green from the Bluesbreakers and early Fleetwood Mac

Last edited:
Great list, I listen to Robert Johnson a bit. I mentioned Hendrix in the first post. I've been a later convert to Funkadelic. Eddie Hazel was great (for pure guitar with soul the track Maggot Brain was incredible); they had a string of good guitarists and fantastic musos. Liked Mike Bloomfield and Robertson (the Band were great!)

Another one I just thought of; Paul Green from the Bluesbreakers and early Fleetwood Mac
I think you mean Peter Green and yes he along with Danny Kirwan were great guitarists with Fleetwood Mac.

Back