• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

JD Sacked

Question - would people be happy if after the board meeting the club said we’re going to get a new coach for 2025, it’s official, but JD can coach out the season. Would you be upset/annoyed?
They would need to very clearly outline the reasons why this is the preferred option.

I would assume it would include financial reasons and they would also need to very clearly outline how players are to be managed for the rest of the year (which would probably be difficult to do).

It's too hard, it surely can't happen.

Question - would people be happy if after the board meeting the club said we’re going to get a new coach for 2025, it’s official, but JD can coach out the season. Would you be upset/annoyed?
I don't think it's ideal, whilst it might not be popular opinion with some I do lay a lot of the blame on JD. I do think some player toxicity is the root cause of it all, I think he let it get that way and I don't think he can fix it. We need someone to come in and make tough choices and kick people up the arse but players don't respect him enough for him to make it work.

12 months ago we were top of the table and the team to beat, then had coaches leaving because players were getting their own way. Still have the same players as when we were the top side, but attitudes have gotten bigger and we've declined even further. If it's not stopped now I can see players wanting to leave to get away from the environment. It's one thing to be losing, but when players aren't performing and get rewarded with trips to the country for it, you would think it would leave a sour taste in their mouth.

I wonder if Super Nanny is doing anything at the moment? I almost feel like this is what we need more than we do a new coach at the moment.

So people think Furner is a better option than JD?

NB: I’m not a fan of JD staying, just checking the room.

Yes, because the earlier we can address the bad habits (lack of defensive line speed, lack of defensive resolve and urgency, poor kicking, not contesting kicks, staggered line when chasing kicks, no backing up of breaks etc) which have crept into our game the easier it will be to reverse direction.

So people think Furner is a better option than JD?

NB: I’m not a fan of JD staying, just checking the room.
Yes, he’s not been part of the stink up, he’s come in at the clubs request to ‘support JD’ and is perfectly placed to take over as caretaker. New little broom before the big broom is appointed.

I reckon that answers it.

When they announce the call, the Pride want JD gone with immediate effect.

I reckon that answers it.

When they announce the call, the Pride want JD gone with immediate effect.

I see it coming after the game against the Dragons or Cowboys in two weeks - whichever we lose (prob both).

The Sharks game was supposed to be it but an understrength side played quite well (apparently), it's not good optics to sack him after losing to Melbourne or Penrith as they'd beat 95% of teams atm.

I see it coming after the game against the Dragons or Cowboys in two weeks - whichever we lose (prob both).

The Sharks game was supposed to be it but an understrength side played quite well (apparently), it's not good optics to sack him after losing to Melbourne or Penrith as they'd beat 95% of teams atm.
There’s some logic in that.

That’s the talk yes.

And that Wayne and Sam were in the background making sure we got Dodd. That alone tells me what Wayne thinks of both Ilias and Hawkins at 7.
I cannot see WB being involved with SSFC WHEN...

A....We have a coach

B....WB is employed by Dolphins

C....Ditto for SB

However of course I know SFA !

Would the club ever announce plan for 2025 at the same time as announcing the sacking and interim?

It’d show they aren’t muffin about but also could be a little harsh to JD, who absolutely is to blame for the drop in quality but does seem like a genuinely good person who is well respected.

100% I would. A whole season of this will ruin careers.
I don't think I could handle another 17 games of our team not supporting our coach!

If SSFC do not ...cannot back our coach then it is time to pay him out and wish him well etc.

My thoughts (backed only by my knowledge of corporate culture)

1. I’d be shocked if the decision to move on hasn’t already been made several weeks ago

2. The delay would be down to not having surety on a plan going forward. Saying you’re giving the coach a few extra weeks to save the season sounds better than “we’ve sacked him but we haven’t sorted out the rest yet”

3. Furner has been brought in as either interim or experienced back up to inexperienced interim I.e Hornby

4. Next years coach has already been decided as well because there’s no way a young English half with several suitors picks up stumps and moves halfway round the world without knowing who the coach would be.

5. If all of what I am saying is correct then JD will be sacked by latest next Tuesday and all the plans will be laid on the table.

Back