• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Bennett, Bunnies agree terms on $3m deal

Pity If there is no room for Ilias. He’s a genuine hard working footballer. I won’t be surprised if Wayne prefers to keep him.
If WB wants him he stays I think.

Pity If there is no room for Ilias. He’s a genuine hard working footballer. I won’t be surprised if Wayne prefers to keep him.
Yeah for sure and, salary cap implications considered, I hope he stays

he can defend well .good 14
I still think he would make a good hooker given his great defence and ball skills
He and Pete in tandem down the track once Cooky moves into S&C

The good thing about Ilias is there are lots of options with him.

In general he could be a 14 that could, at a push, cover centre, half, hooker, possibly 13 due to his build, and 5/8.

Just not sure what position he really fits, have never been able to decide, but I tend to lead toward hooker.

I hope we keep him, there is value in there somewhere.

2024 squad: Alex Johnston (2025), Benjamin Lovett (2024), Cameron Murray (2028), Campbell Graham (2027), Cody Walker (2025), Damien Cook (2025), Davvy Moale (2025), Dean Hawkins (2024), Isaiah Taas (2024), Izaac Tu’itupou Thompson (2024), Jack Wighton (2027), Jacob Host (2025), Jai Arrow (2027), Josiah Karapani (2024), Jye Gray (2024), Keaon Koloamatangi (2026), Lachlan Ilias (2025), Latrell Mitchell (2027), Leon Te Hau (2024), Michael Chee Kam (2024), Peter Mamouzelos (2027), Sean Keppie (2026), Shaquai Mitchell (2024), Siliva Havili (2025), Taane Milne (2024), Tallis Duncan (2025), Tevita Tatola (2028), Thomas Burgess (2024), Tyrone Munro (2025)

Development players: Richard Kennar (2024), Dion Teaupa (2024), Ethan Ferguson (2025), Haizyn Mellars (2025), Liam Le Blanc (2025), Thomas Fletcher (2024)
Gray extended until 2026 before debut thankfully.

Would have to think AJ, Cook and Cody will play their final year for us in 2025.

Going to be a very different roster in 2026, maybe a bit of teething and then make a genuine push for a premiership in 2027.

That's how I see it anyway

I can not see Wayne letting AJ go. He will be there next year.
I can. AJ is the opposite of the type of Winger that Wayne goes for. I can see Munro to left wing and Wayne bringing in a young, big body for the right wing at about 1/3rd of what AJ is on. Would save us about $150k which could be used to upgrade the pack.

We need someone who can contest the ball in the air desperately.

Munro takes care of that on one side once he’s back but we need to improve in that area on the other side as well.

12 months left on a deal is no guarantee either. Plenty of clubs out there both here or in superleague that would take on the remaining 12 months for the likes of Cook, AJ, even Cody Walker. I would not feel safe if I were any of those guys. If Bennett feels he’ll get more value out of someone else in one of those roles, he’ll move a player on regardless of status or record.

I think Wayne will be looking to bring at least 2 middles, a 2nd rower, a young centre and maybe a young winger.

Wayne loves all the tradition, and history and I think he'll keep AJ and give him every opportunity to break the try scoring record in Souths colours then move him on after :).

Buzz in Tele tomorrow:

SHAKE-UP AFOOT AT BUNNIES’ WARREN

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have begun a senior management shake-up as a result of their trainwreck season.

Long-serving general manager Mark Ellison is the first major casualty – he will no longer be in charge of football operations.

Instead, Ellison will concentrate on recruitment.

Chief operating officer Brock Shaefer quit on the same day coach Jason Demetriou was sacked.

There has been some scuttlebutt around chief executive Blake Solly and his future as well.

Whether Solly can work alongside Sam Burgess, who is likely to return at some stage as Bennett’s assistant, is the big question.

But surely his job is safe for now.

“Like everyone at the club, I’m really excited about working with Wayne again,” Solly said.

“We had a lot of success last time he was here, and hopefully we can repeat that.”

Solly was also quick to praise Ellison, despite his apparent demotion.

“With Wayne joining us, and given his experience in the game, there will be a few changes,” Solly said.

Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly has defended the club’s decision to move Head of Football Mark Ellison to a recruitment role. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)

Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly has defended the club’s decision to move Head of Football Mark Ellison to a recruitment role. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)
“We won’t have a Head of Football, with Mark Ellison concentrating solely on recruitment and retention in a new role.

“Ello’s understanding of our club and its history is irreplaceable, and he is a huge asset to our recruitment of players.”

Souths have had a number of issues during the past 12 months, not just the team’s poor form.

There have been question marks around their high-performance area, none more so than in the case of Origin and Kangaroos centre Campbell Graham.

Graham fractured his sternum last year, but the club waited until February to send him to surgery. He would be playing now if he’d had the operation at the end of last season.

The fitness of a number of players has also been the subject of debate since the beginning of the season.

Back