• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Bennett, Bunnies agree terms on $3m deal

Why? Those guys are on minimum deals and shouldn’t be playing as much first grade as they currently are anyway.

Could agree with losing Milne, he hasn’t been doing an adequate job when called upon but the other two are just back up players who are on minimum deals. You get rid of them, you’re just going to replace them like for like anyway.

The problem isn’t Chee Kam or Thompson as such. The problem is that currently, we have them and several other back up type players all in the team at once.

Spot on👍

Tough decision need to be made to get our rosters right & have money to spend.

I would release

TAANE MILNE
SEAN KEPPIE
ALEX JOHNSTON
JACOB HOST
SILIVA HAVILI
MICHAEL CHEE-KAM
DEAN HAWKINS
ISAIAH TASS
IZAAC THOMPSON

As individuals I get your point to a degree but as others have said, you still need to replace them in th3 top 30 and therein lies your problem with the broom approach

I would release

TAANE MILNE
SEAN KEPPIE
ALEX JOHNSTON
JACOB HOST
SILIVA HAVILI
MICHAEL CHEE-KAM
DEAN HAWKINS
ISAIAH TASS
IZAAC THOMPSON

You need more high profile players if you want decent coin.

We losing Illias and Burgess

But we should also try and release players like Cook as well.

As well as

kennar
Gagai
Te Hau

I don't think any of them are genuine first graders and have no improvement in them.

We should be signing big athletic young backs with potential over old or small backs, or backs without speed.

I would release

TAANE MILNE
SEAN KEPPIE
ALEX JOHNSTON
JACOB HOST
SILIVA HAVILI
MICHAEL CHEE-KAM
DEAN HAWKINS
ISAIAH TASS
IZAAC THOMPSON
At least do some research-
Dean, Richie, Chee-Kam, Tass, Milne, Thompson are all off contract at the end of this year so no need to release them. Some might be re-signed others replaced but they will be replaced with guys like Shibasaki, it ain’t going to drag us out of where we are.
Host is fine, if the numbers are right he is on $300k per year and that’s what he delivers. Bigger issue is guys like Keaon who are playing at Hosts level on a bigger pay packet. Then the questions are who do we bring in for Tom. How do we get Tats firing?

As Poet said, spots 25-30 aren’t your problem. They’re generally all minimum wage, call on them in a crisis type players. In a good year they probably only play a handful of games between them.

Our problem is we aren’t getting value out of 1-18. Whether it’s due to injury like Graham or Murray or just horrible form like Keaon or Walker or countless others… They aren’t playing up to contract value or even playing at all.

19-25 should be your development or next in line guys and these haven’t been great either and for the same reasons as the other group. Injury or just not living up to what’s expected.

Bennett won’t be too fussed on 25-30. They’ll come and go and if you can squeeze some value out of them on the way through then great.

Bennett will be focused on 1-18. Who is not performing and why? Can he move them on and get more value for that money out of someone else. The balance of this group is out of whack and he’ll be moving to rectify that.

He’ll back himself and his assistants to get more from 19-25 than we’ve been seeing.

Ideally, you only want to be using 22-23 players per year but have your top 17 playing the majority of the games with only one or two missing in any one game. This is why we are so crap this year.

Ideally, you only want to be using 22-23 players per year but have your top 17 playing the majority of the games with only one or two missing in any one game. This is why we are so crap this year.
I actually think those days are gone.

With the way things are going i feel like most clubs are giving their 25-30 a good workout.

Anybody got the ‘players used’ for each club this season?

Serious question… has Ilias signed elsewhere? I know Bwaith will be in his ear about sticking around at Souths to see if WB Magic dust reaches him.

Serious question… has Ilias signed elsewhere? I know Bwaith will be in his ear about sticking around at Souths to see if WB Magic dust reaches him.
Don't think so.

2024 squad: Alex Johnston (2025), Benjamin Lovett (2024), Cameron Murray (2028), Campbell Graham (2027), Cody Walker (2025), Damien Cook (2025), Davvy Moale (2025), Dean Hawkins (2024), Isaiah Taas (2024), Izaac Tu’itupou Thompson (2024), Jack Wighton (2027), Jacob Host (2025), Jai Arrow (2027), Josiah Karapani (2024), Jye Gray (2024), Keaon Koloamatangi (2026), Lachlan Ilias (2025), Latrell Mitchell (2027), Leon Te Hau (2024), Michael Chee Kam (2024), Peter Mamouzelos (2027), Sean Keppie (2026), Shaquai Mitchell (2024), Siliva Havili (2025), Taane Milne (2024), Tallis Duncan (2025), Tevita Tatola (2028), Thomas Burgess (2024), Tyrone Munro (2025)

Development players: Richard Kennar (2024), Dion Teaupa (2024), Ethan Ferguson (2025), Haizyn Mellars (2025), Liam Le Blanc (2025), Thomas Fletcher (2024)

2024 squad: Alex Johnston (2025), Benjamin Lovett (2024), Cameron Murray (2028), Campbell Graham (2027), Cody Walker (2025), Damien Cook (2025), Davvy Moale (2025), Dean Hawkins (2024), Isaiah Taas (2024), Izaac Tu’itupou Thompson (2024), Jack Wighton (2027), Jacob Host (2025), Jai Arrow (2027), Josiah Karapani (2024), Jye Gray (2024), Keaon Koloamatangi (2026), Lachlan Ilias (2025), Latrell Mitchell (2027), Leon Te Hau (2024), Michael Chee Kam (2024), Peter Mamouzelos (2027), Sean Keppie (2026), Shaquai Mitchell (2024), Siliva Havili (2025), Taane Milne (2024), Tallis Duncan (2025), Tevita Tatola (2028), Thomas Burgess (2024), Tyrone Munro (2025)

Development players: Richard Kennar (2024), Dion Teaupa (2024), Ethan Ferguson (2025), Haizyn Mellars (2025), Liam Le Blanc (2025), Thomas Fletcher (2024)
So from that list Jye Gray and Shaq have extended. Josiah is gone. Am I correct to thinking Tallis can talk to other clubs from Nov so I wonder if they will extend him. Same as Davvy and Munro. Ilias I assume can talk to other teams from November anyway so not sure what they asked for permission. Just a hissy fit I assume. I can't see a team signing him as their first string halfback.

So off contract are Lovett, Dean, Tass, Izaac T, Leon, Cheem Milne, Burgess, Kennar, Dion, fletcher.

in 2025 we lose Walker, Cook, Moale, Johnston, Moale, Host, Ilias, Havalli, Duncan, Munro, Le Blanc, Ferguson, Mellars.

Looks like it will take at least two years to dramatically change the squad unless players sign for other clubs in november and we let them go early.

Reactions: CCR

Back