• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

2024 Apparel and Merchandise

Not sure we should continually look backwards and keep rehashing old shit. God knows we have enough retro stuff available.

I'll get jumped on for this, but I'd love us to do a really modern contemporary jersey that doesn't have hoops.

It's also time we hired a really good artist to come up with a big, muscular, tough looking threatening Rabbit logo, the fluffy white bunny is the most non threatening logo of any team I've ever seen.

Whoever oversees this sort of stuff at Souths is stuck in the 70's.

Yes we can honour our past and tradition with the retro stuff, but let's not neglect now and the future.

Not sure we should continually look backwards and keep rehashing old shit. God knows we have enough retro stuff available.

I'll get jumped on for this, but I'd love us to do a really modern contemporary jersey that doesn't have hoops.

It's also time we hired a really good artist to come up with a big, muscular, tough looking threatening Rabbit logo, the fluffy white bunny is the most non threatening logo of any team I've ever seen.

Yes we can honour our past and tradition with the retro stuff, but let's not neglect now and the future.
Nope.

The logo itself, as a graphic, may be "soft", but it represents the toughest club in the league with the toughest players this game has ever seen. Sattler, Burgess, Churchill. The exile, the comeback, the 21st Premiership.

At one point, I'd have loved to see us in a "modernised" design, beyond what was already done with the sidepanels, shoulder panels, etc. but after 115 years, with few exceptions, our jersey is our jersey.

A whole generation have now known Souths' jersey as red and green "stripes" with black or white sidepanels. 17 seasons of it. It's been a 1700s lifetime since we wore full hoops and, to be frank, just about an 1800s lifetime since they were worn by a team even resembling a force in the league.

Bringing the full hoops back IS a modernisation - it shows a South Sydney that's come of age all over again. The sidepanels were meant to sell more strips - it did that - and to signal a new era under Crowe and PHaC - it did that. Now it's time to bring the past, the glory and the pride, into the modern era.

The logo itself, as a graphic, may be "soft", but it represents the toughest club in the league with the toughest players this game has ever seen. Sattler, Burgess, Churchill. The exile, the comeback, the 21st Premiership.

I get all that, but again, it's about the past.

At one point, I'd have loved to see us in a "modernised" design, beyond what was already done with the sidepanels, shoulder panels, etc. but after 115 years, with few exceptions, our jersey is our jersey.

A whole generation have now known Souths' jersey as red and green "stripes" with black or white sidepanels. 17 seasons of it. It's been a 1700s lifetime since we wore full hoops and, to be frank, just about an 1800s lifetime since they were worn by a team even resembling a force in the league.

Bringing the full hoops back IS a modernisation - it shows a South Sydney that's come of age all over again. The sidepanels were meant to sell more strips - it did that - and to signal a new era under Crowe and PHaC - it did that. Now it's time to bring the past, the glory and the pride, into the modern era.

Wrong thread -> ‘Takes I Don’t Get’

I think we are the most boring club when it comes to merch

Example of an Australian rugby league club with non-boring merchandise please?

Thank absolute heavens we never got lumped with adidas or nike, who, like they do with every club worldwide, use the exact same template slightly changed each year for every single bloody team they have. Make "this many" jerseys, and if your team manages to go well and sells like crazy, will simply refuse to make any more as compared to the bigger clubs in European football they look after, it's just not worth their time to even pretend to care about a rugby league club from Australia.

Sports merchandise on the whole is pretty boring worldwide.

It's usually club funded ranges that add a little creativity.

I get all that, but again, it's about the past.
Without the past, we'd be the Wests Tigers. They claim 200+ years of history but have no character and identity PRECISELY because they don't want to acknowledge their past. That's why they have stopped wearing Balmain or Wests retros - that was a decision taken about a decade ago to "look forward" and look what's happened to them.

Our entire identity is based on recognising and respecting our past and why shouldn't we? One name, one club, one jersey design just about from our genesis (and before if you count the rugby union club prior to 1908). Our past isn't a burden, it's like the trailer driving us from the back.

Had this conversation been had in 1999-2006, there would definitely be a bit more talk of needing to modernise but it's just not necessary after 115+ years when the club is stronger than ever off the field.

Without the past, we'd be the Wests Tigers. They claim 200+ years of history but have no character and identity PRECISELY because they don't want to acknowledge their past. That's why they have stopped wearing Balmain or Wests retros - that was a decision taken about a decade ago to "look forward" and look what's happened to them.

Our entire identity is based on recognising and respecting our past and why shouldn't we? One name, one club, one jersey design just about from our genesis (and before if you count the rugby union club prior to 1908). Our past isn't a burden, it's like the trailer driving us from the back.

Had this conversation been had in 1999-2006, there would definitely be a bit more talk of needing to modernise but it's just not necessary after 115+ years when the club is stronger than ever off the field.

Okay, right.

I didn't suggest forgetting our past and never mentioning it again, I suggested to add a more modern and edgy jersey, like we did with Superman.

I’m also generally a traditionalist, particularly around the original colours and the rabbit icon.
That said and without wanting to contradict myself I quite like the annual indigenous jersey designs and the novelty Superman one from a few years ago. I also have some affinity with the Minties jersey as it was the jersey worn by the players of the late 70’s, early 80’s period. It did look fresh and was a total departure from our traditional style. It was right for the time.

Okay, right.

I didn't suggest forgetting our past and never mentioning it again, I suggested to add a more modern and edgy jersey, like we did with Superman.
Agree. I like the traditional stuff but doesn't mean we can try something else.

Latest posts

Back