• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

2023 State of Origin

So just throwing out an idea.

How would it work if all the first grade coaches in the NRL were on the selection panel for rep football?

They all have to name a side, but CANNOT pick a player from their own team. The most selected players get the gig.

Would this remove the politics, boys club and selectors pets scenario?

So just throwing out an idea.

How would it work if all the first grade coaches in the NRL were on the selection panel for rep football?

They all have to name a side, but CANNOT pick a player from their own team. The most selected players get the gig.

Would this remove the politics, boys club and selectors pets scenario?
LOL at the last paragraph. This is rugby league we are talking about.

We would end up with what we have. The rorter/panther/dogs block would control everything.

Would be fun watching the QLD based team coaches nominating Taaffe for fullback though.

Under no circumstances should Souths players agree to play SOO until Diddler resigns or is sacked.
The humiliation of one of the games best players. Cody Walker should never be forgotten amid other insults to Souths players.
SACK THE B.

At the end of the day, the system we have is probably the best. The people who pick the NSW and QLD teams have to pick the team that they think will win the series because their jobs are on the line. Favoritism of a particular team will only get you so far if you aren't picking the best players for the job as we are seeing with Fitler now. If he loses this series which is looking highly likely now, he's gone and someone else will replace him.

Of course, the next bloke will have his theories and systems and favorites but again, he will also have to live and die by his selections. That is how rep football is.

At least we've moved past the days where Bob Fulton was involved in everything and you had ridiculous Manly selections out of the blue in every single rep team.

We would end up with what we have. The rorter/panther/dogs block would control everything.
I don't see how.

Let's look at the over the top focus on Sua'ali'i for example.

Robbo could vote for him, let's say he got Cleary and Ciraldo on board with his vote, that's 3 votes.

I can't imagine Sheens, Payten, Stuart, JD, Bellamy, Bennett, Webster, Walters and Fitzy voting for him.
Would be much harder to get selectors pets & politics over the line.

I don't see how.

Let's look at the over the top focus on Sua'ali'i for example.

Robbo could vote for him, let's say he got Cleary and Ciraldo on board with his vote, that's 3 votes.

I can't imagine Sheens, Payten, Stuart, JD, Bellamy, Bennett, Webster, Walters and Fitzy voting for him.
Would be much harder to get selectors pets & politics over the line.
Suaalii isn’t in the team so not relevant.

If every coach was neutral, the contentious decisions would end up close to 50:50 decisions. The block would be enough to have pretty much the same team as we have now.

Bench would still be up to the coach as the bench needs to match the game plan (unless you are Fittler where you work that out after the game).

Suaalii isn’t in the team so not relevant.

If every coach was neutral, the contentious decisions would end up close to 50:50 decisions. The block would be enough to have pretty much the same team as we have now.

Bench would still be up to the coach as the bench needs to match the game plan (unless you are Fittler where you work that out after the game).

Sua'ali'i is just one example.

With the way Bennett, Stuart, Bellamy rave about the danger of Cody Walker I can't see them voting for Luai ahead of him.

I can't imagine just about any coach voting for TPJ. That's three quick examples of how to not have pets selected.

Anyway, we need to do something because the current NSW method is simply not working.

Can't believe the commentary are silent on Turbo's performance. He looked so far off the pace it wasn't funny! No speed, no penetration and arm grabs in defence. There's no way he's 100%.

Turbo is not fit. They have picked the bloke on what he did 2-3 years ago instead of on current form.

Tedesco is not the player he was 5 years ago. He is slipping further and further away from his best.

Fox is not fit either, but at least you could argue his recent form (World Cup and start of season before his injury) warranted his selection.

Luai has had only one decent game all season. Statistically speaking, he is one of the least creative halves in the competition, despite being in the team coming 1st.

Korisau, despite being a crafty ball player doesn’t have the stamina to be effective over 80 minutes. Misses tackles. Non existent in effort areas suck as kick pressure. Another that had only 1 or 2 good games all season, those 2 games aside, has been in poor form.

TPJ, Frizell and Young, Blues lacking in the forwards department this year due to injuries. A case of scraping the bottom of the barrel with these three inclusions.

Hynes, needs to start or not be in the team. There was no plan for him whatsoever. A wasted bench spot.

9 players that should not be there. Blues got it so wrong this year.

I don’t know that selection bias is the problem. It’s more philosophy. The philosophy at the moment is that Panthers have won 2 comps, have been clearly ahead, so let’s pick a bunch of Panthers and they’ll carry that form into Origin.

It’s a flawed logic. It in no way resembles that Storm/QLD situation from a while back. Cronk, Slater and Smith were also the Australian spine. They were hands down the best players in their position. You can’t say that of anyone in that Panthers side other than maybe Cleary (maybe). Luai is probably equal with or behind Walker and Hynes, Api has probably been with/behind Cook, Yeo and Murray are a toss of a coin (though with Murray’s versatility putting him on an edge is fine).

The second piece of logic is, champions can over come form and win you Origin games if you stick with them. This is Tedesco, Turbo mainly.

This comes off as often as it doesn’t. And usually less so for NSW.

Lastly there’s a sentiment that a player like Cody Walker isn’t ‘Origin built’. That’s a sentiment that is much more NSW than QLD.

Matty Bowen isn’t an Origin legend if he’s from NSW. They don’t value what a player like Cody provides. It’s not part of their understanding of what Origin football is.

If they pick Cody, it’s rubs NSW brains the wrong way and there’s a sentiment of ‘go on, prove you should be here’. Whereas for other it would be ‘we’ve got your back, go play footy.’

I think Fittler and Alexander have placed too much emphasis on maintaining club combinations at the expense of giving precedence to players in better current NRL form.
Then you add the incumbents considered untouchable even though their club form has been way below their best. As an example today we see their reactions to suggestions that Tedesco should be dropped….shock, horror…..At what point do we acknowledge the fact that he is no longer near the best in his key position.
Contrast that to Slater, dropped a proven Origin stalwart with an enviable record in that arena and also their incumbent fullback who was MOTM in the 3rd Origin game last year in a series winning performance. He wasn’t convinced that they were still the best the their respective positions and took the tough but correct decision to replace them with in form players.
I guess the one thing that the selectors can’t avoid and that is the accountability factor.

We probably undersell the QLD team too, especially the spine.

Grant/Hunt and Munster are better than anyone NSW can name in the 6 or 9 (wether they’re from the Panthers or not).

Walsh is more effective currently than Tedesco and is one of the form players in the comp (bar maybe Edwards funnily enough).

Cleary at Origin kicks and defends. DCE might not be better, but he’s doing as good a job.

Back