• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Souths and the Referendum

news – 18 Oct 23
4cf1810fde4801869e9d920b0a024103

Latrell Mitchell torches NRL great over anthem storm 1

Latrell Mitchell has slammed rugby league legend Max Krilich over the former Australian Test captain’s call for players to be dropped for failing to sing the national anthem.

Why does Latrell involve himself in this stuff but doesn’t involve himself as much when he plays for us ?

It’s a bit rich for some of these players to be standing in front of packed stadiums, massive TV audiences, huge pay packets. Standing in an Australian jersey that only the very , very few elit will ever get to wear, huge bonuses and claiming to be down trodden and without a voice !!

‘Meanwhile in a universe far far away from their lives we have average Aussies laying bricks, digging holes, mums and dads working 70 hours a week to feed and house kids with massive mortgages and nothing left to spare at the end of the week.

This country is not perfect, this country has a history with some issues. This country is still one of the best to live in the world. We have people fighting to come here, risking life to come here. We look around the world and all should see the good , the opportunities , the freedoms we enjoy, the climate we enjoy. If you always focus on behind and live in the past you won’t enjoy the present and be grateful for the blessings we have here.

We all should love this country, be proud of this country, be thankful we live here. Yes we all should strive to make it better and fix issues along the way where we can. But first and foremost be proud, grateful and honored that we live in one of the best nations on earth!!!
No one should be made to sing the anthem if they don't want to, and don't believe it represents them. Discrimination and racism are very real and current, not in the past. You only have to look through this very depressing thread.

The team is representing the country, as is the national anthem representing us , if you don't support the country don't play in the team.

No one should be made to sing the anthem if they don't want to, and don't believe it represents them. Discrimination and racism are very real and current, not in the past. You only have to look through this very depressing thread.

Why did Max Krilich have to make an issue of this, it's a free country and people don't have to sing the anthem if they wish not to.

Good onya Trell, support you 100%

As far as I know players are selected on playing ability, not singing ability.
Is it in their contracts that they must sing?

Lot's of white fellas don't sing the anthem, I always take close note of who does and who doesn't, but not a word is said about it. But if it's a black fella you're the focus of attention?

And this from a dinosaur who proudly accepted a nickname of "bomb thrower" in relation to the Serbian/Croatian conflict.

****ing hypocrite. **** off.

Well said.

Good onya Trell, support you 100%

As far as I know players are selected on playing ability, not singing ability.
Is it in their contracts that they must sing?

Lot's of white fellas don't sing the anthem, I always take close note of who does and who doesn't, but not a word is said about it. But if it's a black fella you're the focus of attention?

And this from a dinosaur who proudly accepted a nickname of "bomb thrower" in relation to the Serbian/Croatian conflict.

****ing hypocrite. **** off.
A big difference in not singing because you’re not the singing type and trying to make a political stance and following some strongly held convictions…..?

Why don’t those who want to make a stand and show some real conviction by saying no to representing the country , no to wearing the jersey and no to taking the paycheck ?

That would really show us how deeply they care, how strong the convictions are and really draw a line in the sand about how big an issue they are fighting for ?

Don't mind welcome to country but it's way overdone. Was at an in house course at work and the HR girl started by thanking the traditional owners, etc. Not a fan of it in that instance I'm afraid.
When I was a teacher, I was involved in a lot of NAIDOC Days. Learnt something new every year. One year we had a lovely lady. She came from North Queensland. She explained the welcome to country this way- This land (we were on the Central Coast) is not my home. My home is in NthQld. At my home we have a different language, culture and customs. If I go a different nation like I am doing now I have to ask permission from the elders past and present of the nation I am visiting to enter the land.
To not do so would be an act of war- like taking an army from Germany to France.
Philip did this when he went to Parramatta for the first time. He had made a treaty with a nation in manly and thought he had made a treaty with all the indigenous people.

Why don’t those who want to make a stand and show some real conviction by saying no to representing the country , no to wearing the jersey and no to taking the paycheck ?
Why don't the media and others show some understanding in regards to the sensitivity of a song celebrating colonialism, and say yeah, we understand why you don't want to sing it, but who cares, you're here as a footballer.

Amazing, after all these years we still have the white fellas telling the black fellas how they should behave to be accepted.

I would like to hear from the players as to why they don't sing. Heaven forbid, some may not like siging. I know I never sing the anthem or anything else in public

MInd you, if it is a "political" reason for not singing how could that possibly be different to wear the colours and emblem.
The anthem and the Jersey represent the country do they not?

I would like to hear from the players as to why they don't sing. Heaven forbid, some may not like siging. I know I never sing the anthem or anything else in public

MInd you, if it is a "political" reason for not singing how could that possibly be different to wear the colours and emblem.
Well they are footballers and are there to play football, they don't have any input as to what jersey and emblem they wear. shrug.gif

Enforced Nationalism gives me the creeps.
Me too, no one should be forced to wear the green and gold, wear the National emblem, take money from such a terrible country?

If it is a strongly held conviction you most certainly wouldn’t want wear the colours, wear the emblem and most certainly not receive the paycheck from any such country?

How strong are these convictions?

Follow the money trail?

Depressing ultra right points of view.
I know for a fact that native Australians rolled up to fight for a point of view in WW1 and yet they were not allowed to vote.
Singling out native Ozzies for not warbling when it is their choice.
Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels so wrote Thomas Payne!
A very large percentage of Catholics in this country would not stand or sing the dirge God. Save the King or Queen.Don’t blame them boring bloody song!l

Last edited:

Captain, you've asked that question from a good position in my opinion, no judgement, just curiosity.
Obviously nobody can answer for those players and this is just my commentary on the situation but at the end of the day who cares?
We live in a free country.
Do what you want. It's not hurting anybody.
He's wearing the Aussie jersey?
Who cares.
Anybody who thinks that you should sing the national anthem if you put on an Australian jersey is a fascist. Prove me wrong.
So many times I've heard people comment about people being offended regarding an issue and saying just because you're offended doesn't mean the majority has to conform to your views ,and the majority applauds. Then a first nation's person doesn't want to sing the national anthem and all of a sudden EVERYONE can be offended.

Latest posts

Back