• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Sky News

Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt Harry you enjoyed watching the Rednecks invading the White House?
Me I was concerned,if the US goes under due to these arseholes be very afraid.
Read Mein Kampala it’s a riot!

Can't wait to see him get indicted - which is imminent according to multiple reports. So overdue and soooo deserved. Some more "firsts" coming up soon. I've got the popcorn at the ready. ;)
Why do you dislike Donald so much?

Sky News during the day is actually quite good but has a focus on politics in contrast to the ABC news channel which has a broader range to items. Depends which one you like. The Sky opinion shows (Bolte, Credlin, Murray etc) are very prejudiced in their views but you don't have to subscribe/watch them.

Because I am retired I have some spare time during the day and enjoy watching Sky News in the morning or afternoon to catch up on politics. Their business program is worth the occasional watch.

Cheers

Sky News during the day is actually quite good but has a focus on politics in contrast to the ABC news channel which has a broader range to items. Depends which one you like. The Sky opinion shows (Bolte, Credlin, Murray etc) are very prejudiced in their views but you don't have to subscribe/watch them.

Because I am retired I have some spare time during the day and enjoy watching Sky News in the morning or afternoon to catch up on politics. Their business program is worth the occasional watch.

Cheers
But there's no problem with Bolt, Credlin, Murray being prejudiced when telling the truth.

Reading this thread has been...I'm not entirely certain of the right word actually.

Some of the commentary from otherwise intelligent people is risible. How anybody can conflate an authoritarian regime with extreme left beggars belief frankly. Trying to equate this with extreme left viewpoints in western society is wilfully (or otherwise) ignorant.

China is anti-democratic; repressive and dictatorial, as is Russia.

Journalism used to be an honourable profession. The role of the 4th estate within a functioning democracy is critical. It's job is a simple one...hold power to account. Not warriors of the left or the right...just holding those in power to account, in a reasonably non-partisan way.

It's no accident that the first act of dictator's when they come to power, is to dismantle the free press. Control the narrative and the rest looks after itself.

In Australia we have an increasingly concentrated media landscape (News Corp controls over 65% of the mass media in Australia at the moment, with Nine controlling ~25%), and more disturbingly, it is becoming increasingly politicised, with News Corp abandoning all pretense at being an impartial purveyor of news, to becoming openly partisan.

I used to read the Australian regularly, but cancelled my subscription about 4 years ago, due to their abandonment of journalistic ethics in favour of being the fan boi of a particular party.

I also cancelled my subscription to the Saturday paper in 2019, for the same reason - they were increasinly partisan and had abandoned ethics.

I still try to read widely, as informed decision making requires a plurality of viewpoints.

But that's getting increasingly difficult for the reasons listed above.

And the argument of "just don't watch it / read it then" demonstrates an ignorance of how the mainstream media influences the political debate.

The significant increase in extreme right wing idealogies and violence can be traced back to the launch of Fox "News" and their rabid pursuit of narratives that lionise their own side of politics, and demonise those that don't agree with them.

To equate Fox "news" with MSNBC is risible. Yes MSNBC caters to the left viewpoint and is biased in the way that it presents news (a reason I don't watch it when I'm in the States). But it hasn't actively and enthusiastically encouraged people to lead an armed insurrection because it didn't like the outcome of an election.

The Murdoch empire is not interested in protecting democracy...they are only interested in making money. They have determined that the best way to do that is to pander to an extermist right wing idealogy...don't take my word for it...in Rupert's deposition - he said exactly that...that they don't care about the truth. Only maintaining their audience and protecting their share price.

Last edited:
Not sure if “prejudiced” is the right word.
They have political leanings as others do
I think prejudice is the right word when they filter things through a particular prism. It's the same on the ABC (most journalists there have different prism). It's very hard for any of us to leave our preconceived ideas behind (just look at the posts on football - the NRL against us, there are media conspiracies, etc.)

Cheers

But there's no problem with Bolt, Credlin, Murray being prejudiced when telling the truth.
But is it the whole truth and nothing but the truth (to coin a phrase)? Also remember they are opinion shows (and don't pretend to be anything else) so much of what they say is their interpretation of events.

Cheers

No doubt Harry you enjoyed watching the Rednecks invading the White House?
Me I was concerned,if the US goes under due to these arseholes be very afraid.
Read Mein Kampala it’s a riot!
What did you think of the red necks who invaded our Parliament House in 1996? I'm sure video footage of it exists somewhere on the internet and of Kim Beazley (who normally such a calm individual) whipping up the crowd by saying the Government hated just about everyone - from workers to women to aborigines, etc.

The attack on the Congressional Building (it wasn't the White House - they would been machine gunned before they got across the lawn) was appalling as was Trump's refusal to accept the result of the election. The mob never had any hope of changing the Government just doing a lot of damage to property and people, including to Trump's cause.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back